Axe-Fx 2 AD DA Conversion, Outboard gear

Ironwill

Experienced
A few Axe-Fx II facts I have found tell me not much about A/D D/A, didn't find matching infos for Analog Input 2 too

1. Dynamic Range: > 110 dB (more ???)
2. Crosstalk: < -60 dB over full bandwidth (less???)
3. -dB SNR in the Axe?

4. What is recommended to set IN level "Signal to noise ratio" correct when insert outboard gear like my preamp to the Axe with the FXL(Input 2)?

Are there infos about these things, would be great to hear from you, thx!

Signal to noise ratio is way less important than the sweet spot of the converter... In fact many pro converters will fuck your transients even when they are not clipping. Thats why its recommended to record way below the 0. In a typical protools setup you use +4dbU=0dbVU=1.23volts= -18 DBFS. Its recommended to get your average level at -18dbfs (you really dont need more than 18db of dynamic range...). My question would be whats the equivalent of +4dbU in the Axe's converters.

My question would be whats the equivalent of +4dbU in the Axe's converters.

There is no equivalent because you can vary the input gain. If you reduce Input Trim you reduce the level into the converters and vice-versa.

To the OP:
The converters and surrounding circuitry in the Axe-Fx are way better than 99% of outboard gear available. Stop sweating specs and use your ears.

There is no equivalent because you can vary the input gain. If you reduce Input Trim you reduce the level into the converters and vice-versa.

To the OP:
The converters and surrounding circuitry in the Axe-Fx are way better than 99% of outboard gear available. Stop sweating specs and use your ears.

What you recommend me to set Input Levels when I insert my preamp with the FXL Input 2 to the grid,
I set my Axe Output 2 knob to the half, I hit the Pre input hard, added 20dB gain, lowered the Pre Output to 10o'clock, back from the pre to Input 2,set the level.. I am on 18% now before tickle the red, should I maybe lower all levels after Output 2, to can increase the Axe Input 2 to more than 18%, having problems with pretty high noise floor , within my High gain preset there.. I dont know what to do.

Iam sure the D/A Dynamic Range and Crosstalk is important when it comes to monitoring in a mixing session with the Axe fx II as Playback Engine, so why not asking for specs.. perhaps I better use the Axe together with a other Interface

The converters and surrounding circuitry in the Axe-Fx are way better than 99% of outboard gear available.

I've already tried a Crane Song Hedd 192 with my Axe FX II and I didn't notice a real difference. However, I admit that I'm a big fan of the triode/pentode/tape knobs on the Hedd and it would be cool to have this in the Axe FX.

The high noise floor will have nothing to do with AxeFX gain structure. The AFX lets you run amps at insane gain levels - amplification of the inherent noise in your SYSTEM is inevitable. That's why God invented noise gates.

The converter specs are irrelevant - they are certainly beyond any discernible difference for 99.99999% of the population.

The high noise floor will have nothing to do with AxeFX gain structure. The AFX lets you run amps at insane gain levels - amplification of the inherent noise in your SYSTEM is inevitable. That's why God invented noise gates.

SO 18% is alright and normal there at the Input 2 level? Yes! I will just try a Gate block after the Fxloop.

The converter specs are irrelevant - they are certainly beyond any discernible difference for 99.99999% of the population.
..certainly to you.

Without detailed specs its just hard to compare, choose a other device to give a try when not knowing if the Axe-fx is better anyway at some aspects as Interface. Well

Back
Top Bottom