Axe Freezing up after update to 7.16!!!

I had some freeze ups last night just playing a patch that was not made with an editor. I wasn't changing patches or anything, it just locked up. I wasn't watching the CPU but I will check that. This makes me nervous - I may have an audition next week and I really need to learn songs, not tweak my equipment. I'll try downgrading also if I need to.

fredster said:
I had some freeze ups last night just playing a patch that was not made with an editor. I wasn't changing patches or anything, it just locked up. I wasn't watching the CPU but I will check that. This makes me nervous - I may have an audition next week and I really need to learn songs, not tweak my equipment. I'll try downgrading also if I need to.

If you find out exactly what is causing it, I am positive Cliff with fix it quickly.

I haven't had any freezes with 7.16 at all, but something happened a few days ago that was very weird, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with 7.16, I selected a patch that I had a harmonizer on, and it played back the wrong harmony notes, between songs I turned it off/on and it still had the same wrong notes out of the harmonizer, after the gig I check it again and went to the Edit Pitch page, to check and it wasn't playing back what I had set up, then I went to another patch that also had the Harmonizer and that one was fine, so I go back to original patch that had the problem and now it was playing the proper harmonies, without me having changed anything.. have used it for a few days after that and everything is fine, so I don't know what happened. This was on an Ultra and the patch was very simple, just Amp > Pitch >Delay > Cab.

javajunkie said:
If you find out exactly what is causing it, I am positive Cliff with fix it quickly.

I downgraded to 7.13, CPU at 63% and it locked up after about 40 minutes of playing. It does seem to happen on the same patch - I'm trying to narrowing it down. Hmm...

fredster said:
javajunkie said:

I downgraded to 7.13, CPU at 63% and it locked up after about 40 minutes of playing. It does seem to happen on the same patch - I'm trying to narrowing it down. Hmm...

You can send the patch to support explaining the problem.

I had my first dreaded freeze ups at my gig last night using my Standard. Fortunately, all my freeze ups were while using the tuner so they didn't interfere with any songs. I'm not sure if I was on the same patch before switching to tuner or not. I have another gig tonight and i'm sure it will happen again so I'll try to be more aware of exactly what I'm going when the freeze occurs.

I never had any freezing problems prior to upgrading to 7.16. Could be a coincidence but seems unlikely.

It's too bad the Axe-FX can't "write" a debug log to memory to make debugging these crashes easier. We do that in my line of work (video game design) and it makes debugging crashes in release executeables much easier because at least you have a log of the operations that occurred prior to the crash.

For what it's worth, if the Axe-FX could have a small buffer for storing X numbers of user operations (it would dump the oldest operation when a new one is written to the log) the log could be dumped out via MIDI (after a crash) and sent to FA so they could repro the problem at the locally.

Just an idea.

After downgrading, I'm still having problems and with other patches too. bdsp8, did you get any where with this issue? Time to escalate to support I suppose...

fredster said:
After downgrading, I'm still having problems and with other patches too. bdsp8, did you get any where with this issue? Time to escalate to support I suppose...

Unfortunatley, no. I played another gig last weekend, and my axe is still locking up! I did it a total of three times. I thought about downgrading, but now that I hear you are still having problems, I'm not sure what to do! When I saw that there was a new firmware up last night, I was hoping maybe they found the problem and changed it, but no such luck.

Hi from Germany!

I had this freezing with my Axe Fx (Standard) too, three times until now. I was not tweaking, just playing.

The Axe was really dead, even the input signal LEDs showed absolutely no reaction. After turning the Axe off/on everything seems to be ok.

The first freezing was after updating to 7.16. Yesterday I uploaded FW 7.17, but had a freeze after that (I used the new Beta FAS Axe-Editor for updating to 7.16 & 7.17).

Maybe it will be a little help for Cliff, the last two of the three freezings happened in playing breaks, about the first one I'm not sure.

Best Regards
Thomas

Hmm... I upgraded to 7.17 last night but haven't run through it long enough to test, but it looks like you guys are locking up with the latest too. I sent an email to support - we'll see what happens. This is a bummer, I just got in a band and I have a gazillion songs to learn like right now, and I want to start this project with the AxeFX. I'm stuck in analogue land until this is fixed.

I've had several freezes when using the tuner with the 7.16 firmware. In my case, the tuner only freezes when a very low note is played. For example, one freeze happened when I was tuning the low E on my bass guitar and another freeze happened when I was tuning the low E on my guitar which was severely detuned.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Arjan said:
I've had several freezes when using the tuner with the 7.16 firmware. In my case, the tuner only freezes when a very low note is played. For example, one freeze happened when I was tuning the low E on my bass guitar and another freeze happened when I was tuning the low E on my guitar which was severely detuned.

Anyone else have the same experience?

I'm definitely experiencing tuner freezes that did not occur prior to 7.16. I can't isolate it to any particular note. I'd say it happens about 10% of the time I'm using the tuner...

I'm wondering if it's not due to the beta editor that will corrupt preset data. I've never get freeze before using the editor.

I have never hooked up my Standard to the editor. So whatever problems I'm having are not caused by the editor.

So it's clear for your case.
For me i've always get freeze when the Axe was hooked to the editor and while playing with the editor but never alone.

strumbringer said:
I had the same thing happen to me when using the editor. I think I was editing the noise gate when it happened, but I can't find a way to repro.
Same here, i have not tried to do it again.

I've never used the editor but only the Axe interface (I have a Standard), and I get the tuner lockups.

Have my Axe-Fx since two years.
First freeze appeared with 7.16.
Never used any editor!
Also with 7.17 my Axe-Fx freezed sometimes while playing, for me it looks like a software lock.
The freeze appears appr. every 4 to 5 hours.
My patches are very straight forward: wah-drv-amp-cab-del-rev.

Some good news! I updated to 7.18 last week with the new editor, and played a couple of nights after that, and NO freeze ups! Me so happy! I hope it last. By the way 7.18 sounds soooo good!!!

Back
Top Bottom