Axe for Lemur v3.00 ready for prime time

Anybody tried lemur with v11beta?
There is a new amp block parameter called "Cathode Ratio" in v11beta that I've added to the new version, soon to be released.

The other change is the Preamp Dyn Time control is removed in AxeII v11beta, replaced with the Cathode Time parameter.

I've got another idea again :)

Could you make a page listing all preset with intant access?
I have wanted this feature for a long time, but only recently have had the AxeFX II midi spec, which explains how to query the Preset Name for any given preset number, even if it that preset is not currently loaded. I'm working on two other features but this is definitely something I'd like to add in the future.

I recall reading that someone is using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to directly connect their iPad to the Axe-FX 2 when running Lemur. Aside from it being somewhat slower, are there any issues?

The wireless approach works well for me at home but it would be handy to plug my iPad in directly when I'm at a gig sometimes.

Thanks.

Terry.

This is a request from axe fx, which can't actually support compliant usb 2.0 connection

If you initialize the AxeFX II USB interface by plugging it into a Mac or PC, then disconnect the USB cable, the AxeII will then behave like a class-compliant USB MIDI device. Then as long as the AxeFXII remains powered up, its USB can be connected to the iPad via the USB Adapter.

I had to use this technique when I was doing the demo at Axe Fest last year. I could not get WiFi working in the room, so used the direct USB connection. It works great.

This is an exciting solution, and I actually got it to work briefly immediately after setting it up, but once I stepped on a button on my MFC, the whole thing froze!

Any help would be appreciated.

I am running a somewhat unusual rig (see photo):

ULTRA, MFC, MIDIMERGE, MIDISPORT 2X2, MAC PRO 10.6.8, IPAD 1st Gen

Midi-merge-box-2-1-.gif

I am using MIDI Patchbay, LEMUR Daemon.

When I got it to work, I selected DAEMON 0 for I/O in LEMUR.

Been unable to get the lemur template to connect ever since the freeze. Have re-installed it twice, rebooted everything several times.

Confounded at this point.

This is an exciting solution, and I actually got it to work briefly immediately after setting it up, but once I stepped on a button on my MFC, the whole thing froze!

Any help would be appreciated.

I am running a somewhat unusual rig (see photo):

ULTRA, MFC, MIDIMERGE, MIDISPORT 2X2, MAC PRO 10.6.8, IPAD 1st Gen

Midi-merge-box-2-1-.gif

I am using MIDI Patchbay, LEMUR Daemon.

When I got it to work, I selected DAEMON 0 for I/O in LEMUR.

Been unable to get the lemur template to connect ever since the freeze. Have re-installed it twice, rebooted everything several times.

Confounded at this point.
I don't have a MIDI merge box, but I will try later today with the MFC101 and Ultra connected to a MidiSport 2x2, using Midi Patchbay software running on the Mac to route and merge the MIDI.

What version of the MFC101 firmware are you using?

Guys maybe you can help with this - I'm trying to connect the axe editor for lemur on my ipad over the wireless network. Have my mac connected to the axe via USB, running the Lemur Daemon on the mac. I've got as far as selecting the "Daemon Output 0" and "Daemon Input 0" described on pg 13 of the pdf, but I have no idea what the "MIDI Patchbay app" is. I don't see that in either my Applications folder or in the Utilities folder.

Any ideas where I can find that?

Thanks!

Firmware 1.04
I don't remember which version was installed when I got my MFC101, but v2.18 is now installed.

I do not run Axe Edit and Lemur at the same time. Always assumed it is asking for trouble to run two editors at the same time.

The Ultra probably has only one midi out driver circuit. If so, you are connecting one midi output to two midi inputs wired in parallel. Each midi input sees about 1/2 the normal drive current. This might be OK, or might cause some problems.

I have been testing this and so far no trouble:
Ultra is plugged into the Midisport 'A' In/Out
MFC is plugged into the Midisport 'B' In/out

Midipatchbay routing:
Midisport 2x2 Port A => Daemon Output 0
Daemon input 0 => Midisport 2x2 Port A
Midisport 2x2 Port B => Midisport 2x2 Port A
Midisport 2x2 Port A => Midisport 2x2 Port B

Lemur iPad app settings; Midi Targets:
MIDI 0 From: ___.local : Daemon Output 0
MIDI 0 To: ___.local : Daemon Input 0

Sorry to continue hijacking this thread, but I've got another question...

Got the editor running over wifi/mac/usb and it seems to be working fine. However there are a few features that don't seem to be operating properly. x/y switching on the amp block doesn't seem to work - works fine on other blocks (or at least chorus and delay). Second, the scene select doesn't seem to get through either; if I try to select a scene other than 1, it just bounces back to scene 1.

I also noticed that bypassing/enabling the mutidelay block in one preset in the editor actually bypassed/enabled the filter block in the axe.

Is this possibly an issue with fw 11b? Or is it a CC mapping thing? some of my CCs are not in the default factory location....

Thanks!

Is this possibly an issue with fw 11b? Or is it a CC mapping thing?
You need to match CCs between lemur and axe-fx. Here's how to make lemur CC same as axe-fx for scenes.
I thought that this question would come up, so I designed the template such that you can change the CC# assignments easily. To change the CC# used for scenes, open the Axe for lemur template in the LemurEditor. In the Project pane, find the following object in the template:
AxeForLemur -> aUser -> cMidi -> gen2 -> scenescc

The default value of "scenescc" is an array of three numbers {33, 123, 124}

These are the CC assignment for Scene Select, Scene Incr, and Scene Decr, respectively. Change these numbers to match the MIDI CC messages that your controller is sending, then save the template to disk. Send the edited template to the iPad and it should work with your controller.

For X/Y CC, Scrutinizer can probably jump in on that. Only a few changes for FW11b. It's beta so Scrutinizer might be waiting for final before releasing latest update.

Tuner doent work here. Controller number is right though...
UPD: scene selection do not work either. Controller numbers are ok. iPad connected directly to the AxeFX2.

Last edited:
Well, made some progress. Went into lemur and edited the template. Scenes now seem to work, as does the tuner and tap tempo, which I also saw in the template and edited to my CC numbers.

However, I didn't see where to edit the CCs for XY states? Still stuck on the x state only

Also, I cant seem to figure out how to change presets via the editor?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the bug reports!

I think the scene issue can be fixed by using a sysex message to select the scene instead of using a CC message. I recently was given access to the AxeIi midi spec, so I finally have the info needed to do this.

The XY selection can also be done via sysex instead of CC messages. Once I make the change it will not matter if you use the factory default CC numbers.

I do not know why the tuner is not working for some. Make sure you have "Send Realtime Sysex = ALL" in the I/O -> MIDI tab on the AxeII front panel.

i wonder - what PRESENCE TYPE parameter changes???
My guess is that it changes the type of feedback circuit used in the model.

I might remove this control if it is not available for editing using Axe Edit 3.0. I remember reading that Axe Edit might have more editable parameters than are available on the front panel. So we have to wait and see if there are other hidden parameters.

Back
Top Bottom