Axe for Lemur v3.00 ready for prime time

Oops, the Wah block Fat control is not working in 3.02. I fixed that and a few other simple things that I noticed when playing this evening.

I've also improved the "Insert Route" feature after getting frustrated at how hard it was to create a simple blank row of connected shunts. Much better now!

Here is version 3.03
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.3.03.zip

- New Layout Page Feature
- Insert Route will add Shunt automatically if rightmost (of the two selected) grid slot is empty

- Bug Fixes
- Fixed Wah block Fat fader which was not sending midi
- Added new choices in the Amp block Tonestack Type and Presence Type dialogs
- Fixed Show/Hide Route button oscillation if tapped during Refresh

Some buggy stuff:
There's been consistent drawing problems on the layout page. I'm using latest version 3.04.

Activity
- insert a row of shunts from input to output, row 2, row 3, row 4
- start inserting a route in row 4

When I add shunts, they don't consistently draw on iPad , some show & some don't. But if I'm watching axe-fx layout screen while doing this, shunts show up consistently. I had a few times where shunt didn't show on either.

The first real bug is below. It's happened a few times while drawing shunts only, before doing any routing.
After couple tries, I got first row of shunts to show up.
Then as I started inserting shunts into row 3, a diagonal routing line appeared in row two, block 6.
here it is:
9245433452_2dae60ba29_z.jpg

I ignored that and started inserting shunts into row 4. That seemed to go OK.
But when I started inserting a route into row 4, as soon as I laid in first block to block route, this is what happened, similar bug to row 2.
9245433508_6c39a4de4d_z.jpg

And when I panned right, another diagonal had appeared in row two, just like first photo but on block 7.

When you save the preset, exit and return these routing lines are still there. When I tried to "fix" this problem on the axe-fx front panel, it didn't work.

I'll try to replicate.

Last edited:
Tried to replicate. No issues slowly inserting shunts into rows 2 and 3 sequentially, left to right, from input to output.

I tried something different on row 4:
I inserted a shunt into block 1 and then inserted a shunt into block 12, last block.
When I did that, this is what happened on the axe-fx.
9245433508_6c39a4de4d_z.jpg

Once this happens, it can't be fixed via axe-fx front panel.
Shunt can be deleted on axe-fx front panel, but the route line appears when shut is put back in via axe-fx front panel. And using axe-fx to delete the route doesn't work either.

Trying to delete the shunts mostly works on ipad, but sometimes there's zero response when trying to delete the shunt.

Last edited:
Some buggy stuff:
There's been consistent drawing problems on the layout page. I'm using latest version 3.04.

Activity
- insert a row of shunts from input to output, row 2, row 3, row 4
- start inserting a route in row 4

When I add shunts, they don't consistently draw on iPad , some show & some don't. But if I'm watching axe-fx layout screen while doing this, shunts show up consistently. I had a few times where shunt didn't show on either.

The first real bug is below. It's happened a few times while drawing shunts only, before doing any routing.
After couple tries, I got first row of shunts to show up.
Then as I started inserting shunts into row 3, a diagonal routing line appeared in row two, block 6.
here it is:

9244840280_d86f5cec02_z.jpg

I ignored that and started inserting shunts into row 4. That seemed to go OK.
But when I started inserting a route into row 4, as soon as I laid in first block to block route, this is what happened, similar bug to row 2.
9242057183_191296ac5a_z.jpg

And when I panned right, another diagonal had appeared in row two, just like first photo but on block 7.

When you save the preset, exit and return these routing lines are still there. When I tried to "fix" this problem on the axe-fx front panel, it didn't work.

I'll try to replicate.
Does this happen only if you add shunts quickly, one after another? And if repeating the same sequence but at a slower pace, it works OK?

It could be a bug in the code that chooses the next available shunt ID, or it could be a race condition where the pool of available shunt IDs was not updated quickly enough, causing a shunt ID to be used twice. When this happens, the shunt appears on the AxeFXII screen, but does not appear in the template.

OK beginning to see some random repeat of same bug:

Activity: Add shunts, from left to right, input to output on rows 1 & 2

No issues doing row 1. But when I add shunts to row two as you can see in the photo below the second I added the first shunt to row 2, this happened in row 1.
9242648585_82f3732c81_z.jpg

The other issue is if I add a full row of shunt blocks, there doesn't seem to be trick to get the ipad layout window to accurately draw/display the full row of shunts, either on layout page or on "matrix" view (far right button).

Last edited:
OK beginning to see some random repeat of same bug:

Activity: Add shunts, from left to right, input to output on rows 1 & 2

No issues doing row 1. But when I add shunts to row two as you can see in the photo below the second I added the first shunt to row 2, this happened in row 1.
9242434853_8040d20b54_z.jpg

The other issue is if I add a full row of shunt blocks, there doesn't seem to be trick to get the ipad layout window to accurately draw/display the full row of shunts, either on layout page or on "matrix" view (far right button).
Very strange. Could it be your test preset is corrupted? Try preset 383 Bypass, and delete all of the shunts, then repeat the steps in your experiment.

I am noticing that a single preset cannot have more than 36 shunts. I try to add the 37th shunt from the template or front panel and nothing happens.

Does this happen only if you add shunts quickly, one after another? And if repeating the same sequence but at a slower pace, it works OK?

It could be a bug in the code that chooses the next available shunt ID, or it could be a race condition where the pool of available shunt IDs was not updated quickly enough, causing a shunt ID to be used twice. When this happens, the shunt appears on the AxeFXII screen, but does not appear in the template.

Doesn't really matter. If I add shunts left to right, input to output, and I pause even as long as two seconds between adding the next shunt, invariably I'll reach a block that doesn't draw on ipad but draws on axe-fx.

On row 2 I can add shunts quickly and they show up on axe-fx, but don't draw consistently on ipad.

Whether fast or slow, once there's a full row of shunts on axe-fx, there's no way to get the ipad to draw/show the full row of shunts. I can leave/return to layout page, hold down layout button, hit far right "matrix" button, or other...the full row of shunts never shows.

This "draw" bug on ipad happens even if I save the preset. This is on a blank preset with no blocks, no routing.

The "extra routing line" bug seems to be consistent.
On the photo below, I carefully added shunts to row 2, and then carefully created a route on row 2, input to output.
I waited several second, maybe up to 10 seconds before I added the first shunt to row 3. The second I added that shunt, this happened.
9242648585_82f3732c81_z.jpg

Last edited:
Very strange. Could it be your test preset is corrupted? Try preset 383 Bypass, and delete all of the shunts, then repeat the steps in your experiment.

Same thing. On the bypass preset there's already shunts and route on row 2. That full row still doesn't draw/display correctly on iPad.

The "routing line bug" still happens as well. The moment I dropped a shunt into row 3 on the bypass preset, this happened.
9242648483_a584e416ae_z.jpg

BTW - My I/O settings for scene and scene increment/decrement are different from stock. Scrutinizer's instructions to change the CC send commands in the template worked flawlessly. Here they are again in case no one saw them.

I designed the template such that you can change the CC# assignments easily. To change the CC# used for scenes, open the Axe for lemur template in the Lemur Editor. In the Project pane, find the following object in the template:

AxeForLemur -> aUser -> cMidi -> gen2 -> scenescc

The default value of "scenescc" is an array of three numbers {33, 123, 124}

These are the CC assignment for Scene Select, Scene Incr, and Scene Decr, respectively. Change these numbers to match the MIDI CC messages that your controller is sending, then save the template to disk. Send the edited template to the iPad and it should work with your controller.

I still have not been able to recreate the bug solo-act is seeing, but I did find and fix some bugs in two scripts that handle taps on the grid buttons. I have also fixed the Output block MAIN level - it now updates when scene changes.

Axe for Lemur version 3.05

New features:
- Scene level is editable on Layout and Preset pages
- Scene level is queried on Scene change

Bug Fixes:
- Output block MAIN level was 'stuck' showing the Scene 1 level
- Fixed errors that could send malformed place_block command
- Routes visible for fraction of a second when adding block/shunt, when ShowRoutes=OFF

Hi All,

Axe for Lemur is a great piece of software! I bought Lemur yesterday and I can quickly edit my presets and each setting of the effects of my Axe-fx II with a working and STABLE interface on my iPad!!! And you are so damn fast with updates on new firmware! Thank you so much for this great work Scrutinizer! The donation is on it's way! :)
Just one question: Is the relatively slow speed normal when you use a Midi interface connected to the iPad camera connection kit. When the Axe-Edit worked for a day or so, it was much quicker loading the presets and all preset values. It typically takes about 15-30 seconds to load all details of a preset via MIDI adapter +cck.

I have been trying to work with Axe-Edit since I bought my Axe-fx II about a year ago and there was never a stable working version. The newest Axe-Edit version has discontinued to work at all, obviously due to the poor USB Midi driver for Mac. Sorry folks at fractal, even if you all will be yelling at me: Your hardware and the sounds of the effects in the Axe-fx II are great! Also your firmware support is! I really appreciate your good work on the firmwares! This is outstanding and much better than everything I know from any competitor! But the Editor software and Mac driver support is very poor (I have never seen such a poor midi driver support on Mac for any device and I use many devices). Within the last year there wasn't even one stable working version of Axe-Edit and I tried this on three Macs and one PC. And no, I don't like using the front panel to edit my 45 different presets that I all use! I am sure not to be the only customer who dislikes not to have a working software editor for this great piece of hardware.

All you guys repeating this again and again here in the forum: Don't tell me I should buy something different, because this is stupid and just means constructive criticism isn't allowed.
All those guys telling us we should use the front panel don't seem to understand that this is very time consuming doing so, especially if you have more than one preset. Also it kills the creativity when it takes minutes just to change a specific parameter that is hidden somewhere in the menus of the Axe. At least for me it is important to have direct access to all controls of a preset as directly as possible. And this is exactly why Axe for Lemur is so great. When I tweaked the EQ of a preset yesterday for example, the result was much better sounding within seconds compared what I achieved with the front panel. When I have to do this with the front panel, I have to press too many switches to balance low-mids and high-mids at once for example. Because Axe for Lemur shows all EQ sliders at the same time at full size on my iPad, I just can use my finger to access and adjust each EQ slider very very quickly. At least for me this give me a much better sound control and much better results than I can obtain by using the front panel, which always interrupts the listening process.

I am positive that the new software team at fractal knows all this and the next version of Axe-Edit will finally work stable. Also I am sure they know, that the missing or poorly working axe editor is the only thing that is not perfect with the Axe-fx II and that a perfectly working Editor for the Axe-fx II (which in my opinion doesn’t even have to be free!) will make it the best guitar processors on earth!

Steve

Hi All,

Axe for Lemur is a great piece of software! I bought Lemur yesterday and I can quickly edit my presets and each setting of the effects of my Axe-fx II with a working and STABLE interface on my iPad!!! And you are so damn fast with updates on new firmware! Thank you so much for this great work Scrutinizer! The donation is on it's way! :)
Axe for Lemur is the cool-aid of preset editors, and it's great to see you tried a glass. I think more forum members should. They'd be happier editing their presets. It's a great tool.

Same thing. On the bypass preset there's already shunts and route on row 2. That full row still doesn't draw/display correctly on iPad.

The "routing line bug" still happens as well. The moment I dropped a shunt into row 3 on the bypass preset, this happened.
9242648483_a584e416ae_z.jpg

Did v3.05 fix this problem? If not I want to keep looking for the error, this is not good if the template is inserting routes where they do not belong.

Back
Top Bottom