Axe-Fest Germany 2015 | CAB-PACK Teaser

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Well, the Axe-Fest Germany 2015 is over and after our succes with the IR-shooting at the Axe-Fest 2014 it was time for doing it again. This year i`ve did previously a lot research & development with different capture methods and sweet spot findings, resulting in some test-IRs and feedback from them, for example here.

Normally, when micing up an cabinet and audition through headphones the mic in realtime to find "sweet spots", you normally audition including the coloring Amp. So, the sweet spot is valid for the included Poweramp-color. But at the end, you want (perhaps) exclude the Poweramp-color. so you get a IR-Sound, you never miced up, because the information change! To prevent this issue, we audition and find the mic-placements by listen through the virtual "idealized FLAT Amp"! So - you get what you heard 100%!

The Axe-Fest is not only about shooting IRs (it`s the smallest part to be fair), we did not find the time to capture all the cabinets we would liked, but two cabs with some effort to do it right.

Because the Diezel 2x12 front loaded with Celestions G12K100 are a superb cabinet, we did this one again and also a Marshall 1960AX with Celestion 12G25M Greenbacks.

public.php

The IR`s of those two Cabinets will support Cab-Lab3 in all aspects:

Each MIC-position will result in 4 IR`s:
- MPT | Tube Amp colored (What the "Axe-world" knows as MIC only method)
- MPT | "Idealized FLAT Amp" (What the "Axe-world" knows as MIC+DI method)
- RAW | Tube Amp colored
- RAW | "Idealized FLAT Amp"

Mics used:
- Shure SM57 (dynamic)
- Sennheiser E906 (dynamic)
- Sennheiser MD421 (dynamic)
- Sennheiser MD441 (dynamic)
- AGK C414 (condenser)
- SE Electronics X1 (ribbon)

Power Amp used:
- Mesa Boogie 2:90 in modern & deep mode
- Virtual "Idealized FLAT Amp"

Beside the known "nearfield" placements (and some back-cabinet placements) we also captured some other stuff:

public.php

Deeflex: there are also some IRs using the Deeflex system. In short: Deeflex widening the dispersion of the sweet spot in the room, but you can also get new / other interesting mic positions with that. The dispersion effect will take affect for capturing IRs, because more speaker diaphragm area will be focused to the much smaller mic diaphragm.

Binaural Head microphone: How to capture the "Amp-in-the-room" sound to replicate its authentic in an IR? Binaural Systems will do that. Especially for In-Ear Players who wants the "room sound" on there In-Ear Monitors for better/authentic "feel", binaural Stereo IRs can help. Unfortunately binaural IRs are only for the Diezel Cab there, because we run out of time ;( Next time...

At moment i can`t say, how good those will work in UR .syx format, because of truncation to 170ms but more because of time alignement of the IRs. And time (difference beetween left and right ear) is extremely important for functionality of the "binaural experience". Cab-Lab3 seems to manage this issue for mono IR-Mixes, but i am not sure, if at export pre-time can be left in the IR. I will ask M@tt these days about some issues, what and how CabLab3 / Axe-Fx will adress things in UR-format. If not, we still have the delay parameter as a workaround...

The RAW-files are all 2seconds .wav files. So, no truncation problems. And perhaps a reason more to invest in Cab-Lab3, haha ...

So ... the RAW data is there, but it will take some days to finish the IRs and build the pack.

Just for fun and a first teaser: Here is a soundloop I´ve made, less to sound good, but more to check, if the BINAURAL-STEREO IRs (on .wav 2second basis!) work... so, take your headphone (this tecnique NEEDS to be listen LOUD (!) through HEADPHONES (!) to get full advantage what binaural do, NOT "in the room stereo monitors"!!!!!) and listen to the difference beetween a nearfield-mic vs. 5 different BINAURAL positions:

P1020183.jpg

1) nearfield MIC mono
2) binaural head, front of Box 170cm high
3) binaural head, front of Box with deeflex system, 170cm high
4) binaural head, front of Box 60cm high left ear to speaker
5) binaural head, front of Box 60cm high both ears to speaker
6) binaural head, front of Box 60cm high right ear to speaker

MORE TO COME....

Last edited:
Looking forward to it!
I still enjoy the Fender SuperReverb P10 mix ir I've made from you previous Axe Fest 2014.

... work in progress...

the last days i worked intensively with the RAW input/output-files from the shooting in Daxweiler. Thank goodness, one guy from the crew worked the last 17 years for AKG as acoustic engineer (developed some headphones like the AKG271, etc...), so this guy knows his stuff... and helped me out with a bunch of questions i had, how to do it the best i can...

Anyhow, let`s take a view, what the FAS world called MIC+DI method, at least frequency wise. I think, this will also help people to understand better the advantages of this technology. Also, it should make clear, what i mean, when i am talking about "virtual idealized FLAT Amp":

public.php

The BLUE line is the AMP DI from the Mesa Boogie 2:90 in deep&modern mode. You´ll see the "thump" it produces at 113,6Hz, the right frequency for the Axe-Fx Low-Res parameter in the speaker tab by the way for that dedicated speaker (Marshall 1960AX 4x12 G12M25 Greenback)!

The RED line is the INVERSION from the Blue line, known as "Reference DI IR".

The DARK RED line is difference beetween the both frequency responses. In praxis, THIS is the "virtual idealized FLAT Amp".

When finding "sweet spot" mic.-placements by audition the mic. Via headphone, we listen through this "virtual idealized Amp", because at the end of the day that`s what we want! And we want find the sweet spot listen to this paradigm and NOT listen to the Tube coloration. DI Box / cables / Mic.-pre coloration influences will be also flated, but that`s a more academic dimension, IMHO.

As we know, this tecnique get rid of unwanted coloration, if unwanted means: objective correctly and authentic "ONLY CABINET+MIC+MIC placement". Because the Power Amp part will be done by the Axe-Fx. So, we won`t "double" frequency aspects from the power amp by capturing IRs including alsopower amp coloration. OK...

But (!) ...

unwanted does not necessarily means subjective inferior, IMHO (i know, that this is discussable). Oftenly people who test some of my IRs liked the IRs with the Amp influence more, than without. I personally like the "clean" IRs more, but as you see, this is a really subjective item, if NOT technology wise discussed, but with own ear. So let`s take a second view, how the tube amp coloration affect an Impulse response versus one without the tube amp ( aka virtual idealized FLAT Amp):

public.php

RED line: again the Mesa AMP DI for better comparison the next two plots:

PURPLE line: T(ube) variant: This is the plot of an E906, nearfield front of Speaker A (bottem left) WITH the tube Amp coloration.
GREEN line: (I)dealized variant: Same recording, but Amp compensated, speak WITHOUT tube Amp coloration (virtual idealized Amp).

My interpretation of this is follwing: in deep mode the Mesa thumps extremely the low-resonance frequency (seems a change of the negative feedback...or something...). I was surprised NOT to see the typical "scoop", it seems, the Presence knob at noon does not take affect, but good: So, no extra fizzy highend in the IR (with Tube Amp color)

I even have not listen to the IRs with guitar, but from the plot it looks like if the (T)ube variant raise minimal the highs and extremely in the low end. This affect could sound similiar, as if you raise the Low-res. Gain knob on the Axe-Fx SPKR page.

So, IMHO it does make sense to produce both variants: Idealized (aka MIC+DI) AND Tube (aka MIC only). At the end of the day it`s the ear of the guitar player, who should decide, what fits better to his needs ...

Last edited:
I didn't realize the poweramp deviated so far from flat. Looking forward to your work. The IRs you guys gave to the community before were (and a few still are) some of my favs. You should have a paypal donation site.

Thx

I didn't realize the poweramp deviated so far from flat. Looking forward to your work. The IRs you guys gave to the community before were (and a few still are) some of my favs. You should have a paypal donation site.

Thx

The Axe-Fest 2014 IRs had a link for paypal donation, als the Axe-Fest IR Folder HAVE a donation site .... look into the root-folder, there`s a DONATE.htm with the link ... but yes, seems nobody take notice ... sadly ... :roll

to much going on in the lounge with the top gear fight!!!

wow, did i miss something? In the meantime, i work on the files ... here`s a plot of a DIEZEL T-variant vs. I-variant IR:

public.php

bottom lines:
GREEN: FLAT Idealized Amp (aka MIC+DI)
RED: Tube Amp (aka Mic Only)

top lines:
GREEN: RESULTING I-IR (Idealized FLAT / aka MIC+DI)
RED: Resulting T-IR (Tube colored / aka MIC Only))

actually i got a new idea .... but have to figure out, if this could work ... if so, it would be perhaps cool ... not only because nobody did something like this before, i think ... :)

Last edited:
... work in progress...

Anyhow, let`s take a view, what the FAS world called MIC+DI method, at least frequency wise. I think, this will also help people to understand better the advantages of this technology. Also, it should make clear, what i mean, when i am talking about "virtual idealized FLAT Amp":

So how did you capture the response of the amp? Voltage divider at the amp output?

So how did you capture the response of the amp? Voltage divider at the amp output?

Amp speaker out -> DI -> Cabinet load / parallel DI Out. So if you mean this, i assume - yes. Not via power soak resistor, `cause the AMP Di will look individually per cabinet as load for sure ... as you see: The AMP-DI in #7 looks different to the AMP-DI in post #12 -> two different cabinets...

Great stuff guys! I loved the 2014 IRs and stories that went with them. Am very much looking forward to some more pics as well of 2015! :eagerness:

Right this. Which DI? DIY? Or something else?

Behringer GI100 DI. I measured the box with those results:
20Hz
20kHz1,455db spread
50Hz
10kHz0,336db spread
50Hz
20kHz0,588db spread

In comparison the influence of the MesaBoogie 2:90, loaded with the Diezel 2x12 Cabinet:
20Hz
20kHz26,85db spread

This means in praxis, that you`ll not be able to notice the DI Box in any IRs.

I was beta-testing the Diezel IRs today. Get ready for some Ultra-brutal Mayhem. (But also very useful for "normal" Rock stuff.
This time we captured the G12K100 loaded Diezel 2x12 way better than last year.

Can't wait to test the Marshall 4x12 G12M25 Greenback tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom