Axe 3 security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that people complain all the time about "I downloaded a preset from x and it doesn't sound like them", I don't think you have much to worry about, even if they did.

Plus, whether you're the guy with 10+ platinum albums, or the guy playing at the local bar, there really isn't much value in having a tone to be secretive about IMO. Rather, its not like you're really going to push the envelope in a way that stirs things up by using an effect in a new way.

Awesome GlennO, I appreciate it. One other response suggested a physical USB port blocker. So the conclusion so far is: that it can be done with a USB blocker, but not through software. I am hoping to find, or request in future updates, that Fractal Bot asks for a handshake with a Fractal Audio unit before files can be transferred. Thanks for your help.
Nah. The port locker is the way to go. It's more secure, more reliable, and best of all, available today.

The biggest hits in recorded history are the best songs, period. No guitar tone in the world would have stopped those songs or made those songs any bigger. You think these guys were splitting fly farts when they were taking over the world with a guitar and an amp? Getting your sound/technique/look/music or anything else ripped off is inevitable if you're relevant. So many artists are more than happy to talk shop, share settings and approaches etc as well. Les Paul virtually created everything we are talking about on a daily basis and his setup was right on the floor for anyone walking up to it to see, he couldn't have possibly cared less. He had a couple boss pedals and a very simple board.
Great comment. At the same time I'm sure there are tons of artists, from Fripp to Edge to Hendrix, to Belew, who have created their own unique or singular voice... and don't give it away in order to push people to find their own. There is also a more political side: people should be allowed to keep their privacy if they wish, for whatever reason, which I agree with.

Great comment. At the same time I'm sure there are tons of artists, from Fripp to Edge to Hendrix, to Belew, who have created their own unique or singular voice... and don't give it away in order to push people to find their own. There is also a more political side: people should be allowed to keep their privacy if they wish, for whatever reason, which I agree with.
Securing all of their gear would be a priority in general. Not just their axe-fx. See above comment about a locking rack. Unless you have a bigger budget for trusted help and a storage facility, this is your best bet.

I promise you Hendrix does not care.
Keeping your privacy of course is fine. Theres drawing your shades in a resonable expectation of privacy, and theres thinking Tom Cruise is going to rappel down from the ceiling at a bar gig suspended by a wire dressed all in black during the break with a thumb drive and bad intentions. They are kind of WORLDS apart.

These famous artists are famous because of their music, not their signal chain.

Eddie Kramer is maybe the most approachable and humble producers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He also has loads of online tutorials, signature plugins, settings etc. All Hendrix cares about is its better to be alive.
I think ultimately all I am getting at is that I think its up to each artist to decide about their process and privacy. Regardless of how other artists do things. Good to have a system where each person can do it they way that makes them feel most free and is right for them.

its already happened to me! someone snarfled my presets without my permission.
Are you seriously telling me some untrustworthy character hooked up a computer to your axe FX without your permission and downloaded your presets?

Really? How does that even happen?! I would be more worried about them stealing the actual unit.

I've never known, in the history of FX units, for any of them to have password protection.

I think the development time would be better spent elsewhere myself.

I support a certain world class pro who also wishes for a front panel password, so if someone steals his Axe-Fx, they won't be able to steal his presets.
That makes sense. The proprietary individual patches from a big name guitarist would be as much a part of their signature as their notes. Disabling / password protecting the parameters would provide a good layer of security in that instance. I generally give away any of my patches on request, except for those few that were originally a commercially-purchased patch. Heavily modded or not, they're not mine to share.

Someone asked me if I minded them putting their camera phone on stage to film my playing on a couple of particularly challenging Bowie arrangements. I said "give me your email address, and I'll just send you the charts". My transcriptions are my own property, and I am happy to share them.

My point here is that some people make patches for commercial sale, and others (e.g., @Admin M@ ) make their living doing custom programming and patch creation. That intellectual property should be protected if that is desired by the owner (assuming it's feasible). Nothing I do is sufficiently mysterious to warrant that level of security, but I lock my doors at night so nobody will steal my secret martini recipe*.

* The secret is to put the ingredients together, and then drink it.

If strangers have physical access the the gear in such a way they can just plug things into the USB port I think you've got your priorities wrong if your worry some someone taking the SOFTWARE from it.

Way more likely someone will just walk off with your gear.

Security folks sometimes bring up the notion of installing a steel vault door on a tent. Installing USB port security devices on gear sitting inside a portable rack case probably qualifies here.

If strangers have physical access the the gear in such a way they can just plug things into the USB port I think you've got your priorities wrong if your worry some someone taking the SOFTWARE from it.

Way more likely someone will just walk off with your gear.

Security folks sometimes bring up the notion of installing a steel vault door on a tent. Installing USB port security devices on gear sitting inside a portable rack case probably qualifies here.
you can't say that, he'll get mad.

Are you seriously telling me some untrustworthy character hooked up a computer to your axe FX without your permission and downloaded your presets?

Really? How does that even happen?! I would be more worried about them stealing the actual unit.

I've never known, in the history of FX units, for any of them to have password protection.

I think the development time would be better spent elsewhere myself.
I worked on a project with a hired studio musician. He copied presets without my permission when I was away. Not particularly mysterious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom