Axe 2: where are you setting your master volume for high gain

My general master volume setting for high gain is between…

• 0-1

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 1-2

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 2-3

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • 5-6

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • 6-7

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 8-9

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 9-10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
just curious what people are doing with the master volume control for their high gain tones on the gen2 software?

Depends on the amp. High gainers with master volumes, IMO, tend to sound best in the 3.50 range or so as a starting point. Depends on the actual amp there. Some a bit higher, some a bit lower.

I voted 2-3 but curious, could you give an example of what you mean by high gain? Like a favorite track by an artist?

For me, it seems like the definition of high gain changes with age :)

I'm an old fart so what I used to think was high gain I have to come realize is more commonly called mid gain now.

I associate high gain with preamp distortion more than power amp push.

Richard

It's good to see the majority is setting it correctly.

The rule of thumb is to start very low. Then bring it up until you hear the power amp compress. The tone will get darker and smoother. Increase or decrease from there to taste. Then adjust the output level accordingly.

yek,

Love the wiki!

But the wiki has two recommendations, "cranked" or "3" mostly depending on if the original amp had a master volume or not.

I really dig the wiki information about the originals but I often see patches posted where the master is not dime'ed and not on 3.

So I found this poll interesting none the less.

Richard

Yes, the wiki only offers rough guidance. Based in common opinion or straight tips from above.

Although when it says 'cranked', then that's pretty much the right thing to do.

There's almost never just one correct way. Some days ago I looked at Mark Days latest HBE preset, with Master set high and Drive low. I turned down the Master, turned up Drive and it sounded pretty much the same. :)

When I first glanced at the results above I thought that most people voted for setting the master volume at "11" :D

Yek, I'm curious to recreate your experiment with Mark Day's preset. You'd think they'd sound different.

On my Shivas, I would put the master at noon and the gain a little past noon .... sounds good on the Axe II with the same setup. But maybe a Shiva isn't considered high gain ...

Also depends on the cab/mic you are using ...

Interesting tip. I would usually start @ 5 and go up to around 7. Used Cliffs idea to start lower and it immediately made a big difference. Always learning something new with this box.

It's good to see the majority is setting it correctly.

The rule of thumb is to start very low. Then bring it up until you hear the power amp compress. The tone will get darker and smoother. Increase or decrease from there to taste. Then adjust the output level accordingly.

Unless I am not aware of the ability to do so already, it would be nice to have the option to tie the master volume of the amp to the output level volume of the amp block. That way you could change the master volume while the actual volume stays the same so you can hear what tonal changes are going on without having bias due to the Fletcher Munson Effect.

Related question:any tips on how the sag control works in tandem with the master volume? I lowered the sag for a stiffer punchier sound live, and then moved the master up from 4 to 5 on my mark iv tone. Advice?

Unless I am not aware of the ability to do so already, it would be nice to have the option to tie the master volume of the amp to the output level volume of the amp block. That way you could change the master volume while the actual volume stays the same so you can hear what tonal changes are going on without having bias due to the Fletcher Munson Effect.
+ 1 =)

Also posted in the meme thread:

NeedsPowerBrakeModel.jpg

orpeus

I thought I read somewhere on this forum before I got my Axe-Fx about the master volume performing this function. Having the option to tie the master volume to the input would allow the master knob become a tone control that would be much easier to use and dial in.

Do you mean setting a modifier to the master and setting the same modifier, but inverse, to the output level in the amp mixer panel? Or do you mean something else?

(edit: I meant to quote post #14)

Last edited:
Injecting a comment, yes that would be the relationship. To allow hearing the poweramp effects at a near constant volume. SAG, tube and transformer saturation wold not be linearly compensated though.

Back
Top Bottom