AX8 with a cab - Tips and tricks

I'm curious, will Low Res Freg setting have any effect when power amp modelling is disabled?
@2112 . Leon would this be true. I tried this today. I have Cab and power amp modelling disabled, running into the return of a Fender Machete head. I couldn't hear any noticeable difference. If you use the Matrix SS power amp , do you have power amp modelling engaged? Thanx as always for all your videos.
:)

Low Res Freq emulates the power amps response to a real cabinet load. It has no effect, if power amp modelling is disabled.

Yesterday, I had my first ever band rehearsal using my 1x12 ported cab with a Celestion G12H30 Anniversary and the EHX Magnum 44 power amp.

(The setup I used here)

I had to use some of my existing 'one preset per song' presets, and that was a problem, because I use a scene controller attached to the cab block level to set the individual scene levels. Luckily, with the help from this forum, I was able to create a "Null IR" (the links were broken for the ones I found). I inserted the NULL IR in all cab blocks, so the sound passed though unchanged except for the level control. That worked great.

I also set speaker drive to zero in all presets, and I set speaker compression to zero in the presets using a speaker similar to G12H30. In the presets that use AlNiCo speakers, I left the speaker compression at 3.0 to get a little more AlNiCo flavor out of my G12H30. I also removed all reverbs, unless the presets that used the AC30 where I have a bit of spring reverb in front of the amp.

I used Leon's synth trick at home to find the resonant frequency of my cab. I had to run it fairly loud to hear the effect. I am wondering how much was speaker resonance, and how much was room resonance. I know my room has fairly big resonances in the same frequency area.

I have never used the global EQ on my AX8, so I don't think I would have thought about it, if Leon had not mentioned it in the video. When I first fired up my setup at rehearsal, I thought it sounded a bit thin. So I went for the global EQ, removed some low lows, added some 125 and 250, removed a little 500, added some 2k and took out a bit of 8k and 16k. That worked perfectly, and I had a balanced sound on all my presets. I used presets that were based on the AC30 Top Boost, Brit 800#34 and JTM45. My setup sounded great in all of them.

I must say though, that I don't miss 'amp in the room' sound. My cab was on the floor, so I had to walk to the other side of the rehearsal space (a fairly large room at a local school) to really hear, what my setup sounded like. I have gotten so used to wearing in-ears, so this actually felt a little weird. But I'll admit there is something organic and wonderful about the sound waves mixing in air rather than in a mixer. If you found the right spot to stand in, the sound was glorious. Also, my sturdy 1x12 cabinet is really heavy. I am glad I am not carrying that one on a regular basis anymore :)

Thanks Leon, your tricks helped me get ready in no time :)

Man, that’s a sweet sounding preset! Nicely done.

strangely when I connect my ax8 on my real cab 2x12 (gt75 and V30) sounds much better with the IRs on, very strange, when I turn off the cab of the ax8 the sound gets very thin

What amp and IR do you use? Real amps can often be buzzy or thin in a room but stick a mic in front of them and it can be a great recorded sound.

Leon!!! Thanx for this vid, it really helped me out!!
Also, the 4 cable vid was great!! I do both, but recently more of the 4Cable with a Friedman Runt 50. Thanx!!!

I tried to do this trick last night and was unable to hear anything coming out of my cab.
I had guitar with cable going to AX8 guitar in, then LEFT of OUT 2 FX send going to a Duncan Powerstage 170 solid state power amp, then from the power amp to a Marshall 4x12 slanted cab loaded with Celestion G-12T-75 speakers. I set up a signal path with only the SYNTH block as shown in the video, got nothing when I turned up the Freq.
What am I doing incorrectly?

I tried to do this trick last night and was unable to hear anything coming out of my cab.
I had guitar with cable going to AX8 guitar in, then LEFT of OUT 2 FX send going to a Duncan Powerstage 170 solid state power amp, then from the power amp to a Marshall 4x12 slanted cab loaded with Celestion G-12T-75 speakers. I set up a signal path with only the SYNTH block as shown in the video, got nothing when I turned up the Freq.
What am I doing incorrectly?
Did you have synth tracking set to off?

Sure did, I watched the video a few times and matched the settings you had.
Does it matter what scene or preset I do this in?

A question...
Do I need to have an effects loop block splitting off of the signal line to hear through my cab?
All the other tones I have going have the Effects loop splitting off before the Output so I can hear it out of my cab. Just wondering because that part was never mentioned in the video.

It is possible to copy Out1 to Out2 but to be on the safe side, you should use an FXL block.
I don't think I'm being clear on this...
I used an Effects loop block the splits off of the signal just before the CAB block so I can hear the tones from the AX8 coming out of my cab. Do I need to do that as well to do this low Res Freq adjustment? In the video, Leon is using a cab which is the same way I'm using mine. But he did not mention the need for an Effects Loop block to be set up, only a SYNTH block.

But then he is probably feeding his power amp from out 1, or he may have his unit set up sick that out 2 PRS our the same signal as out 1. If you regularly use FXL, chances are yours is not, so yes. To be sure run the synth block into the FXL block

So I added an Effects block that split off of the signal and I was able to hear the SYNTH tones coming from the cab. As I turned up the Freq, I did hear the tones changing. I think my cab is somewhere about 84khz for a Marshall slant with G12T-75's. Can someone else confirm?
However, with the global cab off, I still can't get it to be a "WOW" moment like I hear on youtube coming out of the cab like Leon's rig. Something has to be missing but I don't know what that something could be.

leon, i did the experiment here but the resonance never goes down like your video, i have a cab 2x12 v30 and gt75, what should i do? It must be too high the volume? how do i know the exact point that determines the right frequency?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom