AX8 | What's the best allround amp?

If you attach scene controller 1 to the gain and scene controller 2 to the cab level it is very easy to go from completely clean to the heaviest metal distortion not only without a gap but completely smooth...
I don't want to pull this thread off-topic, but can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction regarding the scene controllers as described in this context? From my limited experience within AX8 Edit, there seem to be two (2) scene controllers.....I am not sure what they do......but there are (8) "Scenes: per Preset, so....? I am thinking that this must have been discussed perviously....?

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming.....

I don't want to pull this thread off-topic, but can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction regarding the scene controllers as described in this context? From my limited experience within AX8 Edit, there seem to be two (2) scene controllers.....I am not sure what they do......but there are (8) "Scenes: per Preset, so....? I am thinking that this must have been discussed perviously....?

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming.....

Attach a scene controller to the input drive of an amp model, eg a plexi. In the controller menu, set scene one value to 10% and scene 2 value to 50%. When you switch from scene 1 to scene 2, the scene controller will cause the input drive to change without any audio gap.

It's like having a answer roadie to twist your knobs to the precise place you need them per scene.

I'm trying to like these but they seem dark. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a real Friedman without hesitation if I was looking for a real amp. I'm a Marshall guy and real Friedman's do that so well. Heck a lot of amp do that. But the Friedman amp models feel or sound a little darker and less dynamic trying to get to clean with my guitar vol. knob. I'm also saying this without spending much time trying to dial one in, so my opinion is based on a limited effort. They sound awesome full out. I just prefer a clean to mean via my guitar volume. It's an old habit that I can't get past.

Even with EQ adjustments on the amp, I find the cab selection a big factor in getting a brighter sound. Can't remember the cab (Fractal stock) I'm using right now. Will check later today.

Smittefar,
Thank you very much for sharing the video. That was most kind of you.

I wish could say I understood ANY of that video but alas, I cannot at this time. My original question was simply to ask why there was a "Controller 1" and a "Controller 2," but I now see (not that I even understand my original question) that this entire "Edit Modifier" thing is very deep and very complex. I had no idea this was so. I don't think the manual ever mentioned pushing that little button inside of the knobs -- and I had no idea this was a thing until I watched that video. Now I see the "Edit Modifer" screen, with graphs that somehow apply to three scenes simultaneously, while the menu continues to say only Scene 1, and .......oh, heck, I don't understand this well enough to even be to form a meaningful question.

I appreciate everyone's help and guidance -- the people on this forum are the AX8's greatest asset -- I really mean that. I am, however, getting too frustrated. I almost seem to be spending more time/energy trying to master the AX8 than I am playing guitar, and I just don't think I am enjoying the music as much as I should. Time to step away for a bit. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Smittefar,
Thank you very much for sharing the video. That was most kind of you.

I wish could say I understood ANY of that video but alas, I cannot at this time. My original question was simply to ask why there was a "Controller 1" and a "Controller 2," but I now see (not that I even understand my original question) that this entire "Edit Modifier" thing is very deep and very complex. I had no idea this was so. I don't think the manual ever mentioned pushing that little button inside of the knobs -- and I had no idea this was a thing until I watched that video. Now I see the "Edit Modifer" screen, with graphs that somehow apply to three scenes simultaneously, while the menu continues to say only Scene 1, and .......oh, heck, I don't understand this well enough to even be to form a meaningful question.

I appreciate everyone's help and guidance -- the people on this forum are the AX8's greatest asset -- I really mean that. I am, however, getting too frustrated. I almost seem to be spending more time/energy trying to master the AX8 than I am playing guitar, and I just don't think I am enjoying the music as much as I should. Time to step away for a bit. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Just take your time with the thing, it's an incredibly capable piece of kit, and there's a lot to learn if you're new to modelling and really want to get the most from the unit

If you're struggling with the unit have you considered something like AustinBuddys dream rigs pack?
He's optimised a particular amp in various clean rhythm or lead settings and you can mix your favs by putting one amp in x and copying the other one to y.
The pack is easy to audition, so you can easily find something that suits you

@Paultergeist the thing to understand is that there are two scenes controllers, but each of those has a value per scene. So scene controller 1 can be at 0% in scene1, 50% in scene 2, 100% in scene 3 and other values in the rest of the scenes. The same goes for scene controller two. Then the edit modifier screen allows you to set how the controller settings translate to parameter settings, and there's settings are unique to each parameter. This gives a gazillion options.

There only way to learn is to dive in.

@2112 has a video that may be an easier introduction

My original question was simply to ask why there was a "Controller 1" and a "Controller 2," but I now see (not that I even understand my original question) that this entire "Edit Modifier" thing is very deep and very complex.

Don't be afraid, controllers and modifiers can be intimidating but when you understand the inners they are very powerful. In fact I think scene controllers are the gateway...Don't give up!
Why 2 scene controllers? I hope this may help you, from the ax8 manual:
Scene controllers provide a uniquely powerful way to change certain sound settings from one Scene to another. These two “virtual knobs” can be programmed individually for each SCENE in each preset. For example, you might assign SCENE CONTROLLER 1 to delay feedback, with a value of 10% in SCENE 1, 30% in SCENE 2, 5% in SCENE 3, and so on. SCENE CTRL 2 could meanwhile be used for something completely different.
The wiki is very helpful too:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Scenes#Scene_Controllers

I propose you a small exercise:
take any preset that you don't care for practice, right click in scene 1 button and select "copy current scene", now go to scene2, right click again in scene 2 and select "paste to current scene". Click save. Now you have two identical scenes.
As Leon said, go to the amp block, right click in "input gain", the modifier window appears: don't panic! You only have to set "Source" to scene1 (it says scene1, but in fact is Scene controller1 and applies to all 8 scenes), now you can close the window. In the video he is touching min/max values, but we want full range so we left all the modifier window knobs by default.
Now push the "controllers" button (11:03 in the Smittefar video) and go to the "scenes" page, you have controller1 that contains eight knobs, here you set the percentage of input gain for each scene. To get started you can set scene1 at 50% and scene2 at 100%. Click save.
Now if you switch between scene1/scene2 you can go from half to full input gain...nice!

You can do the same with scene controller2 and another parameter: presence for example
Now you have a customizable pair of knobs per scene

Last edited:
Ouch! you are right, for practice you can attach scene controller2 to master volume instead.

I see that we were typing at the same time! Leon's video is quick and easy, big thanks!

Last edited:
You are all so very patient....and generous with your knowledge. My sincere thanks to all....and I apologize if I have hijacked this thread.

This has been nagging at me much of the night, but I have read all the comments and watched the additional video....I may be *getting it* a bit. Is this the idea?: Say I have a reverb (for example) which I want to use in all (8) Scenes of a given Preset....but I want DIFFERENT amounts of that reverb effect among those different (8) Scenes. Now then I COULD go individually into EACH scene and adjust that reverb and "Save" the Scene -- thus saving the reverb setting -- (8) times in total -- or I could go into the "Scene Controller," call up the reverb effect, and set how much reverb each Scene gets from that one screen (the Scene Controller) at one time. Is that kind of the idea?

I am about to catch a flight and will be away from my computer for a few days. I may be unable to access the forum until my return, but I look forward to re-engaging in this inquiry when I return.

Much gratitude to all.

Yes, if you want to control the amount of reverb in each scene. You could attach a scene controller to the reverb blocks input gain. Then the scene controller value (set per scene) will determine the reverb amount.

.......I propose you a small exercise:
take any preset that you don't care for practice, right click in scene 1 button and select "copy current scene", now go to scene2, right click again in scene 2 and select "paste to current scene". Click save. Now you have two identical scenes.
As Leon said, go to the amp block, right click in "input gain", the modifier window appears: don't panic! You only have to set "Source" to scene1 (it says scene1, but in fact is Scene controller1 and applies to all 8 scenes), now you can close the window. In the video he is touching min/max values, but we want full range so we left all the modifier window knobs by default.
Now push the "controllers" button (11:03 in the Smittefar video) and go to the "scenes" page, you have controller1 that contains eight knobs, here you set the percentage of input gain for each scene. To get started you can set scene1 at 50% and scene2 at 100%. Click save.
Now if you switch between scene1/scene2 you can go from half to full input gain...nice!
ETOLKIEN,
Thank you very much for the helpful suggestions. I went ahead and created two identical Scenes (just amp and cab) in Scene 1 and Scene 2 of a Preset I don't use. I now realize that some of the amp knobs have the little "modifier" icon inside of them. This allows one to access -- I think -- some additional parameters pertaining to the control. In trying to work your suggested experiment, I selected the Input Drive control to adjust.

One mistake I had been making was -- since I am using a Mac -- I had forgotten about the need to also press down the (computer keyboard) "Control" key while pressing the mouse to initiate a "Right-click." Doing that now brings up the little edit screen for that modifier (in this case, the Input Drive). So.....I feel like some progress has been made. Thank you.

1. While the "Input Drive" -- as a single knob -- seems pretty obvious and straight-forward to me, once I bring up the modifier screen for that same control, there are eight (8) different knobs (Min, max, slant, scale, etc.), and none of them seem to work the same way that the single "Input Drive" knob did. I feel like I am missing something here......I just wanted to adjust the Input Drive.

2. If I do adjust some of those knobs with the editing window, I still cannot save to a single Scene. Hitting the only "Save" button I see saves the entire Preset, which then over-writes whatever I did on the other Scene.

All I am trying to do is this....as kind of a "baby-step" towards getting more functional with the AX8: Create 2 simple Scenes within the same Preset: Scene 1 with a lot of Input Drive, Scene 2 with much less Input Drive. It sounds simple for me to imagine.....as if I am simply reaching over and twisting a singe knob on an amp. Is there an easy way to do this? (I am not sure if can understand the Smittefar video without more education).

Thanks for the help thus far. At least now I learned how to open up the modifier window.

While the AC-20 has been getting a lot of use lately, my favorite "all-around" would have to be either the Nuclear Tone or Deluxe Verb Vib with a slight edge to the DVV for its gain structure. Both have great clean and surprisingly quite a bit of gain, both can get a great crunch when cranked. Add a Fat Rat with gain @ .75 and get a smooth distortion.

ETOLKIEN,
Thank you very much for the helpful suggestions. I went ahead and created two identical Scenes (just amp and cab) in Scene 1 and Scene 2 of a Preset I don't use. I now realize that some of the amp knobs have the little "modifier" icon inside of them. This allows one to access -- I think -- some additional parameters pertaining to the control. In trying to work your suggested experiment, I selected the Input Drive control to adjust.

One mistake I had been making was -- since I am using a Mac -- I had forgotten about the need to also press down the (computer keyboard) "Control" key while pressing the mouse to initiate a "Right-click." Doing that now brings up the little edit screen for that modifier (in this case, the Input Drive). So.....I feel like some progress has been made. Thank you.
We're on the good path!

1. While the "Input Drive" -- as a single knob -- seems pretty obvious and straight-forward to me, once I bring up the modifier screen for that same control, there are eight (8) different knobs (Min, max, slant, scale, etc.), and none of them seem to work the same way that the single "Input Drive" knob did. I feel like I am missing something here......I just wanted to adjust the Input Drive.

2. If I do adjust some of those knobs with the editing window, I still cannot save to a single Scene. Hitting the only "Save" button I see saves the entire Preset, which then over-writes whatever I did on the other Scene.

mmm...I think you are overthinking, if you read my post carefully you'll realize that the only thing you have to do with the modifier screen is set "Source" to scene1 and then you can close the window, forget about the min, max, scale, slant knobs. An important thing is: it says "scene1", but in fact is "scene controller1" and applies to all 8 scenes.

Ax8-edit knows that this modifier is attached to input drive because you right-clicked (or ctrl-right-clicked in your mac case) right above the "input drive knob", so the first step is done.

The second step you're missing is to assign an input drive percentage to each scene, you can acomplish this pushing the "controllers" button:
controllers button.jpg

There are some pages and you have to go to "scene" page. In this page the are eight knobs in a row called "Controller 1", here you set the percentage of input gain for each scene:
scene page.jpg

You can test a preset in action, download this package uploaded by Leon Todd (download link is in the video description):

"LT8 C++" preset has 3 scenes and uses scene controller1 attached to input drive. Scenes 1 and 2 are identical, the only thing that changes is input drive: 20% for scene1 and 40% for scene2.
If you go to "controllers" button/"scene" page you can change the values for each scene.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
ETOLKIEN,
This does indeed help! Thank you very much. I am probably indeed guilty of over-thinking things, as you say!
I DO now see where -- once inside of the modifier screen -- I specify "Scene 1" or "Scene 2" as the location where THAT knob is adjusted between the different Scenes......THEN I select the Controllers button and bring up the Screen controllers screen.

I *think* I may have gotten things to work one time, but I also had some issues with the Amp block "Input Drive" knob over-riding the individual Scene Controller levels.....it was like the Amp block [Input Drive] control was fighting against the individual [Input Drive] Scene Controller levels I set.....but I think I am making progress and getting closer to working this out.

I have to leave for work. I may not be able to try again until tomorrow, but I will persist.

Please let me say again how very much I appreciate the kind support offered to me by yourself and others on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom