AX8 vs Helix...YouTube demos

Nimbas

Inspired
Now that we've beat the units to death against one another in various threads, I can't help but wonder if anyone has pitted the YouTube guys against each other.

Kinda like, we've got Mark Day, Cooper Carter - they've got...Chad Boston?

I was going to say those who don't work for the company - but I guess Mark does work for Fractal eh?

Line 6 does have some players I like - Sean Haley and Paul Hindmarsh are monster players - both employees or demonstrators though.

When Chad starting posting his early videos on YouTube I thought he was going to single handily bring down Helix.

I certainly agree with that! I had a Helix on pre-order at the time he first started putting out videos and when I saw the first one (part of it anyway I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing), I thought to myself "OMG, what have I done? :eek: Am I going to sound that bad with the Helix?" I almost cancelled my pre-order based solely on that video. I decided to stick it out with the pre-order & see for myself how it worked for me. I ended up sending it back after trying it for a couple of weeks anyway.

As someone else posted, he seems like a really good guy and all, and I have nothing against him, but it was not a good initial showing of the Helix.:confused: You have to give him credit for trying, and taking the time and effort to put all of those videos together.;)

Line 6 definitely needs someone to demo the product that will generate sales. I like watching Glenn Delaune's videos on various multi effect gear (except for his thumb only picking technique drives me crazy - and makes my thumb ache) - and he has one up for Helix but it is so dark I can't see anything. That's the problem not having an editor you can screen capture with. You know Glenn doesn't seem to have any affiliation with anything since he demos just about everything - but I've never seen him demo any Fractal product. I wonder why.

Line 6 definitely needs someone to demo the product that will generate sales. I like watching Glenn Delaune's videos on various multi effect gear (except for his thumb only picking technique drives me crazy - and makes my thumb ache) - and he has one up for Helix but it is so dark I can't see anything. That's the problem not having an editor you can screen capture with. You know Glenn doesn't seem to have any affiliation with anything since he demos just about everything - but I've never seen him demo any Fractal product. I wonder why.

As stated before, Line 6 has Sean Haley and Paul Hindmarsh, who are great players making some videos for the helix, but an independent (not on the payroll) review is more convincing to me. It actually is a better indication of what I may initially expect to squeeze out of a device than watching an expert demo a product.

I do like Glenn Delaune a lot. It is curious that he hasn't ever done a demo of a Fractal processor. I am also curious as to why that is. I assume he is not a "Paid Endorser" of the products he reviews & makes presets for, but maybe he does have an endorsement relationship with those companies.

i think both companies have opportunities in their demo's, though. One of the reasons the Axe has a stigma against it with certain circles is that all of their big name demo guys play, for the most part, higher gain rock and roll or metal....hence the ridiculous perception that it's only good for that.

as for the Helix, one of the things that struck me with all of their official videos early on was that it was almost all the SAME MEDIOCRE PLEXI TONE. Made it seem like they thought it was the only tone worth showcasing or something.

I think each company would do well to seek out players who have traction in certain communities to demo their products in a quality way to showcase that it is indeed capable of more than what people may think it is. Untapped markets for both, to be sure....

I lent Paul my AXE FXII - before Helix was announced. He is beyond a Monster player......if there was a "the one" of Guitar in the Matrix ...I suspect it would be Paul Hindmarsh.

If Fractal ever wanted to get more traction they should employ Paul Hindmarsh - contract him to make one video a week - and fly round the rest of the time demoing the AXE......

If Fractal ever wanted to get more traction they should employ Paul Hindmarsh - contract him to make one video a week - and fly round the rest of the time demoing the AXE......

Yeah, it's hard to overestimate the value of that kind of arrangement. Good youtube demos are PRICELESS to a brand!

I just asked Glenn Delaune why he never demoed Fractal - he said it was just an accessibility thing - being more expensive than most of the gear he demos. I pointed out to him that the AX8 is competitively priced with Helix so maybe he'll pick one up.

Glenn is a good player but I really enjoy the creative stuff he does with programming. I've learned a lot from him on the Boss GT-100 and Line 6 HD500. I'd love to see what he can do and come up with for the AX8 or even full blown Axe Fx II.

I assume Fractal sends units to people like him to check out do they not? I'm surprised he hasn't gotten on their radar.

I think Chad is brave for doing it. I am a decent guitar player and I wouldn't want to take the abuse You Tube dishes out.

I think Chad is brave for doing it. I am a decent guitar player and I wouldn't want to take the abuse You Tube dishes out.

Brave or opportunist? He monotized his videos on youtube so he was making money from ads, banners etc... He would only answer some questions with links to his videos. Then someone took up a collection to send him money which he did not turn down. It appeared to me that this was possibly a personal interest thing for him when he started and he turned it into a money grab. He advertises his own gear or "tone" website as well. I asked point blank whether he made money when someone clicked on his videos and he didn't answer, yet he responded to other posts right by mine.

The videos I watched briefly were beyond awful. And I'm not talking about his playing. I don't want to watch a video of a guy talking while watching another video or clicking through a website. Inane.

Brave or opportunist? He monotized his videos on youtube so he was making money from ads, banners etc... He would only answer some questions with links to his videos. Then someone took up a collection to send him money which he did not turn down. It appeared to me that this was possibly a personal interest thing for him when he started and he turned it into a money grab. He advertises his own gear or "tone" website as well. I asked point blank whether he made money when someone clicked on his videos and he didn't answer, yet he responded to other posts right by mine.

The videos I watched briefly were beyond awful. And I'm not talking about his playing. I don't want to watch a video of a guy talking while watching another video or clicking through a website. Inane.

I thought you had to reach a certain status with YouTube before they would invite you to the "partner program". I did the math on it once and it was minimal at best assuming you had more views than most can ever possible generate - and the metrics are totally different now.

I appreciate the Chad Boston videos A for effort but man I was thinking Line6 must be freaking out ,It's like this guy that gets up drunk at a wedding and gives a 45 minute speech ,and you can't get the mic back

Here what took Helix off my radar simply the amount of bugs and serious bugs they have had ,like lock ups and live fails.

The fact that some of the scribble strips are mis aligned ,and the contact switches will fail in time ,not a matter of If more when

The constantly said they spent 5 Years in development .the amount of issues after 5 years is staggering to me .You release a 1500 dollar unit streeting $100 more than an Ax8 ,you had better have your S** together .

I thought you had to reach a certain status with YouTube before they would invite you to the "partner program". I did the math on it once and it was minimal at best assuming you had more views than most can ever possible generate - and the metrics are totally different now.
you can monetize your vids at any point, i believe...but you have to get a LOT of hits to really make anything off it. I've got a couple hundred dollars i've never claimed from them, lol.

you can monetize your vids at any point, i believe...but you have to get a LOT of hits to really make anything off it. I've got a couple hundred dollars i've never claimed from them, lol.

I checked out the Youtube page in your signature line. Quick estimate was about 80,000 total views on all your videos combined with 430 subscribers. I have over half a million total views, and I've been in the partner program for years now. Never made more than a few cents each month. I'm REALLY curious how you managed to get a couple hundred dollars (unclaimed) with less than 1/5th of the views I have.

If you are for real, than I should have a few thousand dollars waiting for me.

Back
Top Bottom