AX8 vs Axe-Fx III - 8 amps compared

The more I play the II the more I fall in love with the feel (the III really is next level in this regard) , but listening back to this I think we can all agree Cliff knocked it out off the park with Q10 for the AX8. It sounds so close and it's doing so with far fewer resources. Happy days all around!

One thing I've been wondering...

In all the clips, the AX-8 seemed to have a slightly different, less smooth quality in every amp model. Is this aliasing? I remember Cliff posting graphs about aliasing over the years and making a big deal about it so I wasn't sure how much of what I'm hearing was that.

Interesting!

On my first run watching the video I missed reading the note telling which one we hear when the video is b/w and which one when it's colored. I actually thought that the III would be b/w, but it's the other way around. This really really surprises me! Was I fooled by the more concise top end the AX8 has? Why is this the case?

To me it sounds like the III has a high cut somewhere in the chain, whereas the AX8 doesn't. @2112, can you rule that out?

I would like some samples without going into an FX return.....basically each runs independent and use an ABY switch to change between so there is no outside influence. Same IR's with the same IR settings then an AX8 versus III would be more of an independent study result. Good test, but it's hard as an outside listener not to question whether there is some tonal changes based on the routing?

I would like some samples without going into an FX return.....basically each runs independent and use an ABY switch to change between so there is no outside influence. Same IR's with the same IR settings then an AX8 versus III would be more of an independent study result. Good test, but it's hard as an outside listener not to question whether there is some tonal changes based on the routing?
I'd like to know more about this. Is this a fair comparison?

Back
Top Bottom