AX8 vs Axe FX II in functionality

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi,

I have searched and read various comments but am wondering if there is any definitive answer on the differences between the AX8 and Axe FX II?

I know:

Axe FX II can run 2 amps and 2 cabs ---> AX8 only one of each
Axe FX II has USB audio out ---> AX8 USB but only for updates
Axe FX II has USB headphone jack ---> AX8 no headphone jack but can use line out w/ adapter

Questions:

Will the AX8 have all the amps and cabs (just only able to use 1 at a time) ?
Will the AX8 have all the FX ?

The reason I am asking is I am debating selling my II to buy the AX8. Just trying to confirm what I would be giving up in order to gain the additional functionality (floorboard, dedicated knobs) that the AX8 has?

Thanks,
Derek

Questions:

Will the AX8 have all the FX?

Yes, same amp block with all the amps. FAS considered at one point going with a few basic amps and then selling separate models. They have stated that they will not take that approach.

No, will not have all the FX. We're still waiting for the definitive list of AX8 effects.

Yes, same amp block with all the amps. FAS considered at one point going with a few basic amps and then selling separate models. They have stated that they will not take that approach.

No, will not have all the FX. We're still waiting for the definitive list of AX8 effects.
Thanks.

I know:

Axe FX II can run 2 amps and 2 cabs ---> AX8 only one of each
Axe FX II has USB audio out ---> AX8 USB but only for updates
Axe FX II has USB headphone jack ---> AX8 no headphone jack but can use line out w/ adapter

Questions:

Will the AX8 have all the FX ?

To be clear, the AX8 USB will also be for AX8-Edit/MIDI control, not just updates. As others have stated, it won't have all the effect blocks from the Axe. I think it's also important to point out that of the blocks it does have, it likely won't have as many instances of those blocks per preset, either. For example, Axe FX II can have 4 PEQ instances per preset, but FX8 can only have 2. I expect similar limitations. I'm hoping for and expecting 2 instances of drives and delays. 2 reverb instances sure would be nice but probably pushing the CPU.

To be clear, the AX8 USB will also be for AX8-Edit/MIDI control, not just updates. As others have stated, it won't have all the effect blocks from the Axe. I think it's also important to point out that of the blocks it does have, it likely won't have as many instances of those blocks per preset, either. For example, Axe FX II can have 4 PEQ instances per preset, but FX8 can only have 2. I expect similar limitations. I'm hoping for and expecting 2 instances of drives and delays. 2 reverb instances sure would be nice but probably pushing the CPU.

Thanks.

I hope USB will be for recording too..Otherwise there would be need for another USB interface.

It's been stated several times by FAS that the AX8 will not act as an audio interface. The USB is used for updates.

I see that the Axe 8 can only use 1 amp and can which is fine.

However does anyone know if the Amp and Cab X/Y will be there?

I switch between a Vox and Marshall within the same patch consistently with my Axe II.

I see that the Axe 8 can only use 1 amp and can which is fine.

However does anyone know if the Amp and Cab X/Y will be there?

I switch between a Vox and Marshall within the same patch consistently with my Axe II.

It would surprise me if those weren't included.

I'm not selling my Axe Fx anyway, but I would advise anyone who is considering it not to sell theirs until the AX8 is a shipping reality. There has been a lot of conjecture on what the AX8 does and doesn't do, some of that from folks who should know, but we just won't know for sure until it is out there in its final release version. I'd sit tight and let the real deal hit the shelves. I expect the AX8 to be awesome, so much so that I am on the waiting list to buy one. I know the Axe Fx is awesome, and in my rack now.

Stick with the sure thing.

Back
Top Bottom