AX8 users moving to FM3

When I go to the FM3, I'm going to need two expression pedals and two external switches. Can I do that with the FM3, or do I need to get an FC6 (or 12, but I don't need that many more switches). Two more switches would do it for me, but I have to have to EP's as well.
The FM3 only has two external switch ports so yes if you are wanting 4 externals you will need the FC 6-12.

When I go to the FM3, I'm going to need two expression pedals and two external switches. Can I do that with the FM3, or do I need to get an FC6 (or 12, but I don't need that many more switches). Two more switches would do it for me, but I have to have to EP's as well.
I'm coming from the AX8 and now have my FM3. I need two exp pedals as well and I don't want to make a larger pedal board by getting an FC6.
If you use 2 exp pedals you're out of external switches so I've been trying to make it work with just the 3 buttons...I'm pretty close but it's more tap dancing than I'm used to, so getting a midi switch may be in my future.

I'm coming from the AX8 and now have my FM3. I need two exp pedals as well and I don't want to make a larger pedal board by getting an FC6.
If you use 2 exp pedals you're out of external switches so I've been trying to make it work with just the 3 buttons...I'm pretty close but it's more tap dancing than I'm used to, so getting a midi switch may be in my future.
I’m asking on the serious note cause I don’t see it. Why would anyone need two expression pedals? You can’t use two of them at the same time, so why not just one with different patches?

I’m asking on the serious note cause I don’t see it. Why would anyone need two expression pedals? You can’t use two of them at the same time, so why not just one with different patches?
Here's my case for three expression pedals: spring loaded cry baby style wah, generic effects control pedal, and dedicated volume pedal. More than a need for switches, that's why I picked up an FC6.

That's me....ymmv.

Here's my case for three expression pedals: spring loaded cry baby style wah, generic effects control pedal, and dedicated volume pedal. More than a need for switches, that's why I picked up an FC6.

That's me....ymmv.
I got it. But isn’t there like a Dunlop volume pedal? That goes before the input of guitar? So you eliminated one of the inputs. The effect control pedal I get. But to me, I would just rather carry less pedals, and make separate scenes or whatever they are called now, and use different ones for different effects values.

I often use both a Wah pedal and volume pedal.
I got it. But isn’t there like a Dunlop volume pedal? That goes before the input of guitar? So you eliminated one of the inputs. The effect control pedal I get. But to me, I would just rather carry less pedals, and make separate scenes or whatever they are called now, and use different ones for different effects values.
Many people prefer to put the volume pedal near the end so your tone is consistent at any level, but sure you could use a vol pedal between the guitar and the input. You could also put a real Wah pedal in the fx loop; that would free up both ports for switches.

I'm planning on making the move, even if i have to sacrifice some flexibility.

For me the ability to spit out a click on a separate output to pipe to myself/band is all i needed to hear. the lack of this makes my ax8 almost unusable for looping with a band.

I like to have the ability to control two parameters at the same time like mix and time in the delay or verb! I use the db Instruments 4e.

Like mentioned, one is a dedicated volume pedal positioned after the cab and before delays and verb.
Honestly I don't know why everybody doesn't use one like that...it's basically a master volume...gives you any tone at any volume.
My clean sound is edge of breakup Dirty Shirley with my guitar volume down. Volume pedal allows me to boost my clean tone as loud as I want.
Other is a wah.

Like mentioned, one is a dedicated volume pedal positioned after the cab and before delays and verb.
Honestly I don't know why everybody doesn't use one like that...it's basically a master volume...gives you any tone at any volume.
My clean sound is edge of breakup Dirty Shirley with my guitar volume down. Volume pedal allows me to boost my clean tone as loud as I want.
Other is a wah.

I never thought about this method. Goint to try it later today. Any recommendations about the setup parameters? Thanks.

I never thought about this method. Goint to try it later today. Any recommendations about the setup parameters? Thanks.
Placement of the volume block is the most important thing.
If before the amp it will act as a gain control, like your guitar volume knob which is not what I want.
After the amp gives you master volume control. Before the verb and delay allows you to do swell and fades with fx trailing.
You need enough headroom to be able to turn your guitar volume knob down to where you want and goose the pedal to bring your volume back up.
Not too complicated...hope that helps.

I often use both a Wah pedal and volume pedal.

Many people prefer to put the volume pedal near the end so your tone is consistent at any level, but sure you could use a vol pedal between the guitar and the input. You could also put a real Wah pedal in the fx loop; that would free up both ports for switches.

I use one expression pedal with scenes and channels to define what my expression pedal controls. In one scene, it may control the VolPan block. In another scene, it may control the Wah black with Auto Engage set for when I want to actually use it. Since there are 4 channels, I could have it assigned to four different configurations using four scenes. May not work for everyone, but if you are only using it for one purpose at a time this is easy to configure.

Honestly I don't know why everybody doesn't use one like that...

Word!

Ethomas1013....this is VERY powerful.
Could you elaborate on how you assign EXP pedal to different functions across scenes with channels?

Is it possible to use an EB VP JR Tuner pedal in the effects loop of the FM3 to control a volume block? I would like to use that pedal since it has a built in tuner.

Is it possible to use an EB VP JR Tuner pedal in the effects loop of the FM3 to control a volume block? I would like to use that pedal since it has a built in tuner.
You can use your volume pedal in the effects loop to control volume, but you can’t control a Volume block that way.

Back
Top Bottom