AX8 users moving to FM3

I was a late adopter of the AX8 (2018) and love the unit. I am planning to grab the FM3 when my invite comes up. I like it for its portability and overall flexibility.
you can use the FM3 with 2 additional "simple" external switches and an expression pedal (or 4 switches if you don't use an expression).
I've read this in other threads and it got me thinking. Can anyone share an example of this type of external switch? I know saturnworks makes these types of pedals but there are tons of options (latching, momentary, normally open, normally closed). This could be a good option to try out before moving to the FC6. I appreciate all the great conversation here!

I've had mine a week and have been porting over my AX8 presets. I am trying to avoid going to an FC-6 although it is very tempting.
I use 6 presets normally so here is what I have:
Switch 1 Tap=Drive Hold=Bright (2 kHz HP Filter @ 4.5 dB
Switch 2 Tap=Effect (dependent on preset) Hold=Effect (dependent on preset)
Switch 3 Tap=Boost (Amp Ch1 / Ch2) Hold=Preset Increment, with wrap so it scrolls the 6 presets
I use the external switches for my Wha, one for sweep , the other to switch on and off.

This is certainly not my 'end all' plan but it got me started.

Last edited:
I'm at roughly 81% CPU on this preset using the Studio reverb in Normal quality with Echo Density at 8. Changing it to Medium Spring, I'm at 74% and can add in a Flanger block or a Chorus block, either of which brings me up to about 80%.
Good info to know, and is pretty close to my general setup. I'm also thinking of trying the Ambient Stereo delay instead of reverb. If it sounds good, it would save another 13% over using the Spring.

I like to have what I need for any given song accessible without scrolling/views/etc. And I don't like hold functions for in-song changes; too much to do and also changes the timing of tap functions. I don't need a dedicated scene switch or Looper so I'll customize OMG9:
  • Scenes 1-3 always on the FM3 (and if I need I can use an override). I don't usually use more than 3 scenes for a song.
  • Per preset fx/channels/control switches/other scenes on the FC as needed.
  • Externals for Presets, tap/tuner, and maybe Vol +/-
But of course I really I won't know until I start to use it...

But of course I really I won't know until I start to use it...

I think you'll find Views more powerful, and easier to use, than you think. Everyone's needs are different but I'm betting you will end up not needing/wanting any external pedals.

Hope your name comes up soon! The FM3 is pretty cool.

I have my AX8 set up perfectly for live use...it has its own flight case, with its own set of cables, and I've got all the presets dialed for anything I need to do. Haven't touched AX8-Edit in probably two years. Totally happy with it for live performance.

That said, it's a pain in the ass to use for recording at home. Heavy case to lug upstairs and unpack, then repack for the next rehearsal or gig. My goal for the FM3 (initially, anyway) is to have it live on my studio desk where I can quickly dial up whatever is needed, use the better sound quality where it'll actually matter, and footswitch versatility isn't a big concern. If it turns out that I can find a cool way to use it live instead of the AX8, even better, as it'll be a much smaller thing to carry around.

The AX8 is still a very capable box in a live setting in a decent form factor. For some it is actually going to be a better option because of the well thought out user interface. I got my FM3 and I am contemplating keeping the AX8 because I am so comfortable dialing it in on the fly. I do have an FC6 however and have not yet tried the OMG9 layout. That may change things!

I think you'll find Views more powerful, and easier to use, than you think. Everyone's needs are different but I'm betting you will end up not needing/wanting any external pedals.

Hope your name comes up soon! The FM3 is pretty cool.
Thanks! I already got an invite, but want the headphone jack and also didn't want to spend the $ right now. Although not having any gigs or practice, it would have been a good time to get everything set up, lol.

I have no doubt that Views are great for many people... but probably not me. When I'm playing, I want simple, not having to remember which view has which sounds. If I can't set up what I want on 9 switches with scenes, fx, boosts, and control switches, I'll just make another preset instead of trying to make it fit.

Just because we can do a lot in one preset doesn't mean that it's the most effective for me. It's not like we're lacking storage space... ;-)

I've been a pretty heavy AX8 user with live gigging band and home studio since shortly after it came out. Love my AX8!

I've had my FM3 for a few days. I'm still in Phase One of my personal discovery of the thing, which is audio TONE and FEEL. Having skipped AXE-FX III and never played one, I was very curious how far things have progressed in ways I can actually hear and feel with my own ears and fingers. So I've been trying factory presets, dialing my own tones, comparing A/B with AX8.

To me, FM3 sounds clearly superior in every way. Immediately noticeable and very, very impressive. It's not like the AX8 suddenly sounds bad, and I think regular non-guitarist people might not notice or care what the diff is. But I'm picky and for most everything I've tried so far it's been no contest, FM3 wins hands down. Should be no surprise... but I still kinda was!

I was kinda hoping the gap wouldn't be this wide. Because now I have to move on to Phase Two, which is me figuring out how I can use this thing live. The OMG9 layout would work great, but the size footprint is frustrating.. these boxes are too big! AX8 was perfect size. I have three pedalboard cases here, NONE are big enough to hold FM3+FC6 plus my Mission pedal and Powerstage 170. I want to have all these in the same board pre-cabled like I do my AX8. I don't really want to buy a 4th pedalboard case, and I don't want something that big anyway.

So my next goal is to test, practice and see if I can re-train myself to work comfortably with only 3 switches or maybe 5 (need to get or build a 2-switch external).IMG_3011_1.JPG

Same thing here Robboman...exactly. I would love to add a FC6...but I am trying to slim this down....and side by side its big and heavy (FM3/FC6)
Right now I am having great success with a 2 way monetary switch. Get one of amazon for $25.00....see if it suffices.

I've been a pretty heavy AX8 user with live gigging band and home studio since shortly after it came out. Love my AX8!

I've had my FM3 for a few days. I'm still in Phase One of my personal discovery of the thing, which is audio TONE and FEEL. Having skipped AXE-FX III and never played one, I was very curious how far things have progressed in ways I can actually hear and feel with my own ears and fingers. So I've been trying factory presets, dialing my own tones, comparing A/B with AX8.

To me, FM3 sounds clearly superior in every way. Immediately noticeable and very, very impressive. It's not like the AX8 suddenly sounds bad, and I think regular non-guitarist people might not notice or care what the diff is. But I'm picky and for most everything I've tried so far it's been no contest, FM3 wins hands down. Should be no surprise... but I still kinda was!

I was kinda hoping the gap wouldn't be this wide. Because now I have to move on to Phase Two, which is me figuring out how I can use this thing live. The OMG9 layout would work great, but the size footprint is frustrating.. these boxes are too big! AX8 was perfect size. I have three pedalboard cases here, NONE are big enough to hold FM3+FC6 plus my Mission pedal and Powerstage 170. I want to have all these in the same board pre-cabled like I do my AX8. I don't really want to buy a 4th pedalboard case, and I don't want something that big anyway.

So my next goal is to test, practice and see if I can re-train myself to work comfortably with only 3 switches or maybe 5 (need to get or build a 2-switch external).View attachment 66068
Depending on your needs, you can do a surprising amount with just the FM3, a 2 button footswitch, and an expression pedal.

I was a user of the AX8. I do not have an FM3 yet (I am on the waitlist), but I do have an AxeIII with FC6. I also found the idea of only having three switches very limiting; especially since I use scenes and want the switches to change scenes immediately when the switch is pressed. So this eliminated being able to use the hold functionality of those switches in my scenes layout.

Here is what I will end up doing with the FM3. I will add a Roland FS-7 dual switch and an expression pedal (I have attached a picture of how I did this with my FC6 form my AxeIII so you can see my layout). This is how I will use the FM3 setup: Footswitch layout #1 will be presets. I will be able to access six presets per bank (tap each switch for presets 1-3 and hold those switches for presets 4-6). Once I go to a preset it will automatically switch to my scenes layout. My scenes layout will have this setup: Switch 1 will toggle between scene 1 and 4, Switch 2 will toggle between scene 2 and 4, and Switch 3 will toggle between scene 3 and 4. This gives me the ability to have instant access to any of the four scenes. The external switches will operate as follows: External switch 1 hold will take the layout back to the Preset layout and the same switch tap function will increment the banks (which I limit and loop through). External switch 2 will be tap tempo for the tap function and tuner for the hold function.

My big wish is that the External switch functions could change per switch layout instead of being only global (so they always have the same function regardless of the switch layout selected). I think this would be a big improvement and allow for a lot more switch functionality. For example, I would like to use my external switches as described above for my scenes layout, but on my preset layout, I would like them to be bank up and bank down (so I don't need to cycle through the loop of banks always in the same direction). But if they never do that I can live with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
My big wish is that the External switch functions could change per switch layout instead of being only global (so they always have the same function regardless of the switch layout selected). I think this would be a big improvement and allow for a lot more switch functionality. For example, I would like to use my external switches as described above for my scenes layout, but on my preset layout, I would like them to be bank up and bank down (so I don't need to cycle through the loop of banks always in the same direction). But if they never do that I can live with it.
Great idea. I think we need this.

Great idea. I think we need this.

I posted this request in the wish list for the AxeIII and it got moved to the FC6 thread for some reason. But the post got no responses or support. That really surprised me. Maybe you can help me get this idea in front of more people by posting a wish for it.

My big wish is that the External switch functions could change per switch layout instead of being only global (so they always have the same function regardless of the switch layout selected). I think this would be a big improvement and allow for a lot more switch functionality.
+1 on this! Just posted in your other thread.

I like this idea as well! On the Roland FS7 you are using was there a reason you went that direction opposed to something smaller?

Back
Top Bottom