AX8 Takes a Different Way of Thinking.... How do you set switches for live use?

I set up all 8 switches as presets. I have f1 as scene 1/2 and hold for bank up. F2 is sticky scene and hold is Bank down. f3 is tap tempo and tuner. Each preset is basically a different sound- clean, clean w chorus, triaxis dirt, dirty Shirley dirt, triaxis lead, dirty Shirley lead etc. I then use the scenes for more options. I almost never use the sticky. The toggle usually covers everything.

That sounds similar to what I was thinking. I'm just thinking I'll have more success if the lead boost is on the bottom row....
My "normal" lead sound is on the bottom, and I agree with that thought. You could put your filter or EQ, whatever you use for boost, there if it works. I put the filter (boost) on 5 because it was the easiest "top row" to get to, to the side of the protection bar that is above 6-8. It just gives me two solo options (more if you count the drive block) per preset. That's the fun/challenging part of the AX8. Everything you do makes you think of something else you could do!

I am going to go down the 'one-song-one-preset' route, BUT I am going to stick with the same sounds for every song. I will use the same basic amps and cabinets for everything.

The reason to use 1song1preset for me is so that I can set up each scene with exactly the effects and volume I need for the different parts of the songs. I am also going to pre-program the tempo of the songs.

I will need maximum 4 scenes per song, so I have 4 'free' buttons. I am not sure what to do with these.

I will basically have one base preset that will be my starting point for everything, then I will choose the effects I need, set up scenes, and then delete any effects that did not get used. I will of course not shy away from adding a special effect, if the song calls for it. E.g. Rotary will not be in my base preset, but I might use it in one song.

I will also set up a few 'jam' presets. the will have three levels of drive at three different buttons, a solo boost on one button, compressor, drive, delay and maybe chorus on the rest of the buttons. Then I have an expression pedal that will be set up for wah.

I think I will use two presets (clean and dirty) to cover most of what I will need. On my Eleven Rack I only use two core amp sounds anyway.
So one switch to go to "the other" preset (meaning that when I am on the clean preset, it will take me to the dirty preset and vice versa)
I think the four switches on the bottom will be scenes, and the three other switches in the top row, will probably be amp X/Y (two levels of dirt on each preset), a level boost for lead, and perhaps a modulation effect, or a drive block. Wah and delay on expression pedals, and I will have two external switches as well - one will be rotary speed, and the other one will be rotary on/off.

I like to be able to experiment with sounds on the fly, so having a lot of possibilities is very important to me.

8 instant access switches to turn blocks on and off. F1 turns them into 8 preset selections (non sticky). F2 turns them in to X/Y (non sticky). F3 mute/tuner. Very flexible. Don't use scenes myself as I never know what effects I may or may not want ahead of time.

I use the bottom 4 switches as Presets, to match what I want to hear. 1=Clean, 2=Mid-Gain, edge of breakup, 3=Marshall type drive, 4=Lead Tone, normally Soldano 100. The top 4 buttons are always the same: 5=Filter for boost (this allows me a solo sound from each of the 4 lower buttons, just a louder version of the base sound), 6=Drive, 7=Chorus, 8=Delay

That's my basic settings for the setup I am gigging now. I expand that by having scenes available to switch other less used effects in/out.

Not saying it is "the best," just that it is how I have it set now and it works for me live. It is a lot like the setup I used with my Road King pedalboard, so that's likely why it is comfortable for me. This is footswitch version 20 or so since I started. :)
That sounds like a perfect set up. I don't have the AX8 yet, but can the 4 scenes on the first row contain different amp models?

That sounds like a perfect set up. I don't have the AX8 yet, but can the 4 scenes on the first row contain different amp models?

With 4 presets along the bottom row, yes, you can have different amp models in each.

AX8 scenes are within a single preset, and you can select between a total of 2 amps using the preset's amp block XY.

is it possible to set the button layout so that 1-8 are presets and then holding F1 down turns 1-8 into global effect stomp box switches?

is it possible to set the button layout so that 1-8 are presets and then holding F1 down turns 1-8 into global effect stomp box switches?
Sort of...
If you set the all eight IAs as stomp box switches, you can then use the Sticky Preset function to change their function to presets, and then releasing that will take you back to stomp boxes. It would be a bit on an inversion of what you said, but I think it would work the same.

As philipacamaniac said, yes as presets. It's very important in AX8-speak that you not confuse those two. Presets are individual layouts where anything available from the block library can be used (up to the CPU limit, of course), where scenes are a version of a preset and can only use what is in the preset from which it is derived. In other words, a preset can be built from scratch, and a scene must be built from a preset.

So, based on the above, you can use any amp you want in a preset (up to two amps if the block is set up in X/Y configuration). All scenes must use the amp(s) in the preset amp block at the same settings for all scenes. There are some other scene settings that can give more options, scene controllers for instance, but that's another conversation! :)

Last edited:
One thing I did with the MFC was to use artist tape (easy to remove) and put a label over that. Having the label maker label over artist tape let me remove them with no residue or damage.

You can see if button labels are going to work for you before committing to the magnetic labels.

I still use the hand made labels today for my XL+ rig. But I am using an alternate TC controller not the MFC anymore.

As philipacamaniac said, yes as presets. It's very important in AX8-speak that you not confuse those two. Presets are individual layouts where anything available from the block library can be used (up to the CPU limit, of course), where scenes are a version of a preset and can only use what is in the preset from which it is derived. In other words, a preset can be built from scratch, and a scene must be built from a preset.

So, based on the above, you can use any amp you want in a preset (up to two amps if the block is set up in X/Y configuration). All scenes must use the amp(s) in the preset amp block at the same settings for all scenes. There are some other scene settings that can give more options, scene controllers for instance, but that's another conversation! :)

But remember that there is no audio dropout when switching scenes, but there is a short audio dropout when changing presets.

One thing I did with the MFC was to use artist tape (easy to remove) and put a label over that. Having the label maker label over artist tape let me remove them with no residue or damage.

You can see if button labels are going to work for you before committing to the magnetic labels.

I still use the hand made labels today for my XL+ rig. But I am using an alternate TC controller not the MFC anymore.

Great idea!! Tape ordered.

But remember that there is no audio dropout when switching scenes, but there is a short audio dropout when changing presets.

That is only true, if you do not X/Y switch the amp block with a scene change. X/Y switching the amp block causes audio dropouts no matter how you do it. Actually @Chris@AxeFxTutorials found that if you have a CPU heavy preset, switching presets is faster than X/Y switching the amp block

I've been thinking about the 4 scenes and four per preset blocks. Except that I would probably put the blocks on the bottom row. But which four? Switch 4 would always be lead boost with two levels using X/Y. Maybe switch 1 would be a drive block with two different drives x being lower gain and y being high gain. One modulation with x/y and one for delay with x/y. Top row clean, light drive, higher drive and high gain/solo with appropriate delay setting and boost.

David - I set the footswitches up with effects on/off on the bottom row and the top row setup for scenes 1-4. The reason for scenes is if I use an X/Y parameter on the Amp/Cab, I don't wanna be tap dancing while playing guitar.

My typical preset layout would be: 1: Drive-X On/Off | 2: Dly-X On/Off | 3: Rev-X On/Off | 4: Trem/Pitch/Rotary-X On/Off | 5: S1 | 6: S2 | 7: S3 | 8: S4

Scenes are your best friend. If you are switching between X/Y a lot and want different effects/sounds, use scenes. Instead of memorizing where your specific effect parameter is setup, configure your footswitches for S1-S8 on a given preset depending on what you want it to do. Typically for me S1 is clean, S2 crunch, S3 crunch+, S4 super crunch, S5 high gain, ... you get the picture. By S8 your face is almost literally melting.... ;)

Hope that helps, it is a different philosophy but one that is logical and requires very little memorization.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Funny thing is when it comes down to it, I might just have a handful of presets with Fender, Vox, Matchless, Marshall, Modded Marshall and who knows amps and the same basic individually selected blocks on each one. Then if the occasion presents itself, some specialty patches for specialized effect songs like U2 tunes or Floyd tunes.

Chris' dual path presets and his others with scenes actually cover a good bit of what I would use, though I may make some different amp choices for a different base tone. I liked them enough to pretty quickly make a contribution to him. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he has in store. I'm also going to check out Larry's LifePad preset again soon.

Back
Top Bottom