Ax8 - Stand Alone or Pedalboard?

Ax8: Standalone or Pedalboard

• Standalone, love the small footprint and portability

Votes: 51 45.9%
  • Small Pedalboard: easier to have everything connected

Votes: 49 44.1%
  • Big Pedalboard: don't care about the extra weight!

Votes: 11 9.9%

• Total voters
I have an FX8, not the AX8 yet, but I went with a pedalboard to create more of an angle to access the Scene footswitch. I was finding myself activating the looper occasionally when trying to change scenes. I tried assigning the functions in different configurations but they never felt right to me. Old dog, new tricks.....

I am doing. Small board 22x14.5. It will hold ax8 ev1 mini exp knob and g50. Minus the g50 on board this is the stuff I have on my Mfc board

Just a head's up for those looking at Pedaltrain; the AX8 or FX8 will not fit in their hard case, at least not the PT1. If you already have one, you could make or buy a flat pedalboard that fits in the case.

Just a head's up for those looking at Pedaltrain; the AX8 or FX8 will not fit in their hard case, at least not the PT1. If you already have one, you could make or buy a flat pedalboard that fits in the case.

I've measured out and I'm 90% certain that it will fit in the older PT Pro hard case. The case itself is 9" tall.

I'm having this same debate with my mfc setup. The line between setup time and space is definitely worth considering. I am going to force myself to try the NO pedalboard setup for awhile and give it a chance. I am able to fit the mfc my expression pedals and a bunch of extra misc backup items in this bag here. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-professional-music-gear-bag

Worked pretty good last night I must say. The ax8 though since you are already maybe ditching the rack a pedalboard hardly seems like a nuisance either.

After using an Axe FX for the past 8 years and hauling around a grip of tube based gear before that, smaller and keeping the sound quality is definitely better. I think one of my issues is that suffer from and need to overcome is "gear candy", did i just coin a phrase? I love to see a well thought out and assembled rig that is functional and flexible either on the floor or in a backline setting. When I see something like that I just have to say... Man that's nice!

With the way things are getting smaller and better sounding with respect to floor based all-in-one type deal now it's starting to get harder to decide what's the perfect rig... at least for me anyway. In fact it's almost getting to the point where there's not much left to scale down, maybe start incorporating a wireless receiver in the device??? one less thing to have on the floor / board that would be kind of cool!

The choices are getting much better in this category depending the application needed, the tech is getting to the point to where the sky truly is the limit...man I love this stuff!

for now it's the AX8, 2x expression pedals and the gator bag. I do like the idea of having a 3rd expression pedal and it all being pre-mounted, plugged in and ready to go. Smaller is better for me and if I don't keep myself in check, I will be right back to same place I was with the Axe II.

it's almost getting to the point where there's not much left to scale down, maybe start incorporating a wireless receiver in the device???
I was thinking about trying this, if there is as much room in the ax-8 as there is in the mfc. After I get one, and have it for a little wile to make sure I wont need the warranty.

I was thinking about trying this, if there is as much room in the ax-8 as there is in the mfc. After I get one, and have it for a little wile to make sure I wont need the warranty.

I have opened up my Shure ULX and the board is pretty small 2.5" x 3.25" or so. The only thing you would have to deal with is the footswitch and a way to power and mount it inside the enclosure.

Mines on a Brady Cases PT-3... It's to tall so I'm going to have him make a 30x14 That would be enough for a couple of expression pedals my ST-300 and a FreqOut... I've also been looking at the Temple boards with one of the Brady Cases.

Small pedalboard with expression pedal and tuner. Saves time only having a couple of things to plug in and setup. Since it's attached with velcro it's very easy to remove and slip in a backpack or laptop case for quick rehearsals or gigs.

Back
Top Bottom