AX8 Scribble Strips

Does this idea interest you?

• Yes

Votes: 38 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
If it was a thin overlay to be mounted on top of the AX8 with holes for the footswitches it would be great. I wouldn't connect it to the USB but MIDI port unless absolutely required because I want to keep the USB port available for FracPad. Also I would suggest to use OLED displays instead of LCDs.

A programmable version of @ZenRigs Man 's overlays would rock!!

An add on like that would be OK....But as discussed MANY times here....It seems like LCDS (scribble strips) like the Liquid foot+ stuff would almost have to be in pot of ideas for the next AX8-Just seems logical. I understand what the OP is proposing, and depending on cost and functionality I would be in for sure. But I also would have no problem selling my mint like new AX8 for the newer LCD version.

An add on like that would be OK....But as discussed MANY times here....It seems like LCDS (scribble strips) like the Liquid foot+ stuff would almost have to be in pot of ideas for the next AX8-Just seems logical. I understand what the OP is proposing, and depending on cost and functionality I would be in for sure. But I also would have no problem selling my mint like new AX8 for the newer LCD version.

Me too.

I would like to see an AX8+ for more $$ with scribble strips and the CPU power of the XL+

Ignoring the idea of a new pedal and concentrating on what could be done to the existing AX8 owners base. How about a touch based tablet is used in conjunction with the AX8.

Say an app like FracPad would offer an alternate front end called "Live Mode" which serves as a dashboard which can be configured.
Instead of simply reading what AX8 Edit essentially offers, a touch based status display to change presets, check what's active (scene, X/Y, levels), what expression pedals are assigned/active in a particular preset.

Trying to see tiny LCDs with 20 point font at my feet would be better served at chest level. A layout where the strips match the 8 buttons below plus 3 function. The buttons could be invoked either at the AX8 foot switch or by touching the screen. The only weakness would be having to touch a screen in mid song but even then, it is only displaying what can be accessed at your feet anyhow and status. Perhaps the scribble script onscreen changes color to indicate enabled, X or Y block.

I agree with what was mentioned that when on stage, the presets are set up by song and all scenes, effect blocks are ready.
No need for scribble strips as they mention. I do exactly the same and in the past few gigs am comfortable performing that way.

Song list? Hit the next preset, the tunes are in order and corresponding amps, effects, assignments all fall into place. That works 90% of the time and the foot dancing starts when requests are made and no preset is ready or... sometimes when playing, I hear something that makes me think "What was that? Is that my wah partially on or something?" The crouching over to read the tiny display and checking scene, patch, etc suddenly can't be resolved fast enough. (for an old guy....)

Would I be correct in saying that all the status info, setting, parameters, labels, etc can be read in theory by an app?
While scribble strips are a great idea, to make it profitable wouldn't it cost as much as an Android or IOS tablet or more?

Why not use the existing platform (AX8) with a low cost touch display (tablet) and implement a software solution? (IT business babble)

Keep in mind this is being written by an AX8 owner well into his 50's and not a young guy with quick feet and sharp eyes able to see the belly button lint on a dead ant lying next to the EXIT key during an outdoor gig.

Zero interest here. I'm more interested to see what FAS comes up with for an AX8 II...

Agreed. I am always buying & selling and trading up. After over a year with the AX8, I see myself holding on to this unit for a long time though. Seeing other floorboards out there and what they are doing and having what I feel is the best, my idea is what I can do without having to buy every 2 years.

Last edited:
Agreed. I am always buying & selling and trading up. After over a year with the AX8, I see myself holding on to this unit for a long time though. Seeing other floorboards out there and what they are doing and having what I feel is the best, my idea is what I can do without having to buy every 2 years.

We'll see a new AxeFx based on a new processor architecture before FAS will present the AX8 MK2. Wouldn't expect it before 2019.

Don't mean to be snarky, but emulating a Helix in any way - can't imagine a bigger turn-off. AX8 is totally cool and complete as it is, a true pro device.

Don't mean to be snarky, but emulating a Helix in any way - can't imagine a bigger turn-off. AX8 is totally cool and complete as it is, a true pro device.

I understand. I am also a Fractal fanboy but a good idea is a good idea provided the quality of the tone doesn't take a dive. The FAS displays are very simple and monochrome. What FAS paid for a display on their original Axe FX could probably buy a 5 inch touchscreen on an AX8 today. The 2 line color strips probably cost peanuts so what is it to add that, a display driver circuit and re-arranged controls on the next gen floor board that will offer that level of visual reference coupled with the best amp models in the business.

My wish is how to update existing hardware. I love the ZenRigs strips and have them on my AX8. Instead of magnets and plastic overlays, how cheap would it be to have those strips connect to the AX8 (via MIDI?) In reality, they are static low tech scribble strips in themselves. I even placed a second order for more a couple of months ago. Is that any different?

If that could be done cheaply (say $150 selling) then I would buy it for my AX8. Otherwise, a software emulation on my iPad acting as a dashboard, using the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI I already bought to run FracPad. Selling the software for the same price (including the Yamaha BT adapter) would be cool... and best yet it does not take anything away from the AX8 at all for those who don't want it.

Question for everything would depend on how many AX8's have shipped and how many AX8 owners would pony up for the strips and software. Could that be an interesting study for FAS in looking ahead to the next gen floor board?

I like the idea, but not sure how it would be useful without being built into or onto the AX8. I would l think you just get an Axe Fx and a Mastermind midi pedal
gt10-image_front3.jpg

Either that or a bigger display... For me I'm like a lot of people making most switches the same each time with 2-3 that switch so heck even a second row with scribble strips. My number one would have to be an Axe FX XL floor version with all the power. Anywho, we shall see what FAS does in the next year. I'm sure they've got something up their sleeve.

How much would it increase the price?

I use almost the same configuration in every preset, so I don't need it.

I wonder... When you get a Headrush, how much money is for the scribble strips, the touch screen, the colors for every switch...

I prefer to put the money in things that sound.

Considering that that same information is already in the main display, I don't understand the desire for this.

True, but this is a forum of guitarists who like tech, so anything like this we regress to childhood, "oohhh flashing lights, when can we have it" etc etc........

Back
Top Bottom