Ax8 into fx return vs 4cm

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone auditioned just the preamp modeling into fx return in an amp vs the real thing? I'm planning to do this as a first step. I've read that going straight to frfr can be too much so I figure one step at a time is best. I'm going to use my be100, and choose the be100 amp type and see how close i can get it. And then maybe do the same on my EVH 5153 blue. Any pit falls or advice on setup other than the obvious turning off of the power amp modeling and not using a cab block?

Also on the be100 models, it does not appear that we have a model with the C45 switch engaged in hbe mode. Is there a setting or known filter values I can use to get me close to this?

I've also read that going straight to FRFR is to big a jump but I have also seen a ton of people who had issues trying to get the axe to work with real amps and cabs/ power amps cabs.
I didn't have any trouble going FRFR! That may be because I have experience recording so I knew what a miced cab sounded like before I jumped in.
Using FRFR solves so many issues with FOH and tone building!!! Plus you get to use power amp and cab modeling.
If you are trying to nail album tones, you won't be able to with a guitar cab! If you are trying to sound like a certain guitar player, you won't get there with a guitar cab. Your tone will be completely in the hands of your FOH engineer! Some people like the sound of cabs enough to sacrifice those things though! Some people just like guitar cabs and there isn't anything wrong with that!

Well, I suppose I'm not really sure what I like so I'm starting with the cheapest option which is run what ya brung.

The really cool thing about 4CM on the AX8 is that you can have a virtual amp block and the FX Loop Block (representing your BE100's pre-amp). Put them in parallel, set the Bypass Modes to Mute and toggle between them with scenes.

Now you can very easily compare your amp's preamp to the BE100 model with the flick of a footswitch. Be sure to turn SUPPLY SAG to 0 so that power amp modeling is disabled in the amp block.

why don't you run both together and see what you like? Use output one with a cab block and use output 2 with an fx loop block in the same chain just before the cab block (which will send non-cabbed signal to output 2 into a powered amp and cab). Then you can A/B while you tweak your amp settings or just use both together! I'm going to set my Ax8 up so I can use it on stage with an amp and cab for rear monitoring and also send a DI to FOH for better mixing. I don't like hearing my guitar through front of stage monitors.

why don't you run both together and see what you like? Use output one with a cab block and use output 2 with an fx loop block in the same chain just before the cab block (which will send non-cabbed signal to output 2 into a powered amp and cab). Then you can A/B while you tweak your amp settings or just use both together! I'm going to set my Ax8 up so I can use it on stage with an amp and cab for rear monitoring and also send a DI to FOH for better mixing. I don't like hearing my guitar through front of stage monitors.
This is on my list of things to try but I don't have an frfr system to try at the moment. I'm thinking of either getting a matrix power amp, or getting a Friedman asm12. And yes, my stage monitor wedges the sound guy sets me up with always sound like poop to me. Really hot and no balls... Okay keep your minds out of the gutter on that last comment!

Sorry, I'm really new at this, but how is it that the FX loop block can insert a physical pre amp? Does there need to be a cable running from the head (somewhere) to the fx return on the Ax8?
Yes, you need to connect a cable from the OUT2 (FX SEND) to your head and then a cable from the FX SEND of your amp to the IN2 (FX RETURN) from the AX8. Then use a cable from the OUT1 (regular out) to the FX Return of your amp.

???
PROFIT

If you need more information google 4CM.

Hopefully I can build off this and get some advice? I am currently running a w/d/w set up and thinking to fully utilize the AX8 I need to go just stereo, with the AX8 in the effects loop... but here is where I am having trouble and hoping for some advice... I want to be able to toggle between using the amp modeling and not using it, and sometimes using it in combination with a real amp... I have a 5150 3 with 3 cabs... I am thinking I need an AB stomp pedal to fully do this, but also not fully getting where in the chain I would want to add it, and what inputs I need to use where... thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom