AX8 has arrived - need help with S/PDIF and Roland Interface

NickBen

Hey everyone! A previous owner of an Axe Fx II, I went back to tube amps for a year or so...and well I am back! This thing just sounds too good! Anyway, I just purchased an AX8 and it arrived today.

I also bought a Roland Quad-Capture to be able to record the AX8 via S/PDIF. I have the AX8 S/PDIF out running to the Roland's S/PDIF In. I set up my session in Reaper or Cubase, but can't seem to figure out how to get the S/PDIF to record? I can hear the AX8 through my monitors, but am having trouble I think with the I/O on the AX8...I can't seem to find the S/PDIF option or the correct selection? I took a look at the manual but didn't see anything there as well.

Any help would be appreciated - I tried to search around but couldn't seem to find the set up for the AX8. Thanks again!

Nick B.

Hey everyone! A previous owner of an Axe Fx II, I went back to tube amps for a year or so...and well I am back! This thing just sounds too good! Anyway, I just purchased an AX8 and it arrived today.

I also bought a Roland Quad-Capture to be able to record the AX8 via S/PDIF. I have the AX8 S/PDIF out running to the Roland's S/PDIF In. I set up my session in Reaper or Cubase, but can't seem to figure out how to get the S/PDIF to record? I can hear the AX8 through my monitors, but am having trouble I think with the I/O on the AX8...I can't seem to find the S/PDIF option or the correct selection? I took a look at the manual but didn't see anything there as well.

Any help would be appreciated - I tried to search around but couldn't seem to find the set up for the AX8. Thanks again!

Nick B.

First you need a special digital cable to connect S/PDIF, second you need to set the roland sample rate a 48khz, the S/PDIF out of the AX8 is fixed to that rate.

First you need a special digital cable to connect S/PDIF, second you need to set the roland sample rate a 48khz, the S/PDIF out of the AX8 is fixed to that rate.

Thank you - I have the cable hooked up (S/PDIF Coaxial Cable) from the AX8 S/PDIF out to the Roland S/PDIF In. The session was set up at 48khz as well...

Is there anything in the I/O of the AX8 that needs to be routed? I just tried to just record a track, but nothing was captured? Thanks!

Guaranteed the problem is with the Quad-Capture. I had the same difficulty with SPDIF on that unit.never figured it out, went to UA Apollo with no regrets.......

Initializing the Settings
The QUAD-CAPTURE allows you to initialize each setting.
1. From the "Device" menu, select [Initialize].
The confirmation screen will appear.
2. Click [OK] to carry out the initialization, or click [Cancel] to cancel without initializing.
Checking the Signal Flow
You can check the signal flow by displaying a block diagram.
1. From the "Device" menu, select [Show the signal flow].
Setting the Input from the COAXIAL IN (3/4) Jack
You can set whether the digital signal is received or not.
1. From the "Device" menu, select [Device settings].
2. From the items in "Digital In," select "AUTO" or "OFF."
Indication
AUTO
OFF
Description
A digital signal that is input from the COAXIAL IN (3/4) jack will be received.
The QUAD-CAPTURE will switch to the same sampling rate as the incoming digital signal.
The digital signal that is input from the COAXIAL IN (3/4) jack will not be received.

Initializing the Settings
The QUAD-CAPTURE allows you to initialize each setting.
1. From the "Device" menu, select [Initialize].
The confirmation screen will appear.
2. Click [OK] to carry out the initialization, or click [Cancel] to cancel without initializing.
Checking the Signal Flow
You can check the signal flow by displaying a block diagram.
1. From the "Device" menu, select [Show the signal flow].
Setting the Input from the COAXIAL IN (3/4) Jack
You can set whether the digital signal is received or not.
1. From the "Device" menu, select [Device settings].
2. From the items in "Digital In," select "AUTO" or "OFF."
Indication
AUTO
OFF
Description
A digital signal that is input from the COAXIAL IN (3/4) jack will be received.
The QUAD-CAPTURE will switch to the same sampling rate as the incoming digital signal.
The digital signal that is input from the COAXIAL IN (3/4) jack will not be received.

Thank you!! After following the above, in Cubase, I went to VST Connections set my INPUTS (this is where I was going wrong before) to (3/4) for the device port and the Outputs to 1-2 so I can monitor, etc.

Thanks everyone - hopefully this will help out someone in the future!

Thank you!! After following the above, in Cubase, I went to VST Connections set my INPUTS (this is where I was going wrong before) to (3/4) for the device port and the Outputs to 1-2 so I can monitor, etc.

Thanks everyone - hopefully this will help out someone in the future!

I live to serve.......

Thank you - I have the cable hooked up (S/PDIF Coaxial Cable) from the AX8 S/PDIF out to the Roland S/PDIF In. The session was set up at 48khz as well...

Is there anything in the I/O of the AX8 that needs to be routed? I just tried to just record a track, but nothing was captured? Thanks!
Set the AX8 as master clock.

Back
Top Bottom