AX8/CE-1 Blind Test

I got the second one right but the first one wrong...and I own one of those behemoths (I’ll never part with it). So great job!

Very nice, Leon.

Back in the days @javajunkie did a great write-up of the CE-1 and its workings, including the Vibrato mode. Maybe we didn't have the 'types' yet in the Chorus block back then, I don't remember.

Because of the required short delay time he used the Flanger block to do the simulation. Not only that, he used an lfo to modify the Time parameter. Here's the thread.

That block has been my favorite chorus ever since. In fact, it's in the 'Purple Rain' preset I posted yesterday for forum member Piing (an Axe-Fx III preset).

Great to have the CE-1 cloned in the Chorus block itself now. It does sound very similar. I'm going to give it a try.

Very nice, Leon.

Back in the days @javajunkie did a great write-up of the CE-1 and its workings, including the Vibrato mode. Maybe we didn't have the 'types' yet in the Chorus block back then, I don't remember.

Because of the required short delay time he used the Flanger block to do the simulation. Not only that, he used an lfo to modify the Time parameter. Here's the thread.

That block has been my favorite chorus ever since. In fact, it's in the 'Purple Rain' preset I posted yesterday for forum member Piing (an Axe-Fx III preset).

Great to have the CE-1 cloned in the Chorus block itself now. It does sound very similar. I'm going to give it a try.

I referenced that preset in the video below which I never got around to sharing here actually. I adore those settings too!

Attaching a modifier to the time or depth is something I need to try with the chorus block.

Reactions: yek
Results of my blind test were:

Example 1 - Too close to tell
Example 2 - The CE-1 stood out for me on both plays. Clear winner. Must be the Rush fanboy in me.

I started playing guitar around the time the CE-1 was popular and borrowed one from time to time.
Couldn't afford one and ended up buying the original DOD Stereo Chorus. (The one that required 2-9 volt batteries and would use them up in no time.)

Great stuff Leon. Thanks for the video.

I guessed correctly on both, but only because that in both tests I thought the one that sounded better must be the AX8. :)

AWESOME chorus block! I missed the 1st one, got the 2nd one. I can't wait to try it in front of a plexi, or maybe the new 2204. The old CE-1 sounded great out front and had this cool thick/saggy kind of feel to the attack. I want to see if that carries over as well. Nice work!!!

I'm pretty happy with how close I could get the Japan CE-2 block to a real CE-1; can you pick them? Anyone who wants to tweak the block and improve it can find it linked in the video description.

I've noticed that the volume drops a little when chorus is on

I've noticed that the volume drops a little when chorus is on
Chorus is created by delaying and interferring copies of the signal. This will, naturally, cause some volume loss. You can compensate for it with the Level value on the block.

Very nice, Leon.

Do you still have that CE-1 flanger preset for the AX8 or maybe can post the settins? I'm interesting on the LFO values to see if I did it right from the thread of @javajunkie , I can't find it anywhere.

I guessed them both and was surprised that the AX8 sounded better to me than the original....Thanks for the block and coming back to check on us old school now AX8 users.

Back
Top Bottom