AX8 Beer Compatibility?

zaphoid

Inspired
So have FAS confirmed if the AX8 can handle drunk ladies/girls spilling their beers, or the contents of purses on the unit yet? And if extensive testing has been done, are any types of beer more likely to cause damage? As a gigging musician I believe this test is important.

Honestly, when I first looked at Cliff's pictures of the AX8, my first thought was "Shit, those 8 knobs are very likely to cause problems as soon as someone spills something over it! They are like a cup collecting fluids!" If I was interested in the AX8, I DEFINITELY wanted to know if this is a weak spot!

Plexiglass shield! (like a dummer's surround)

Man, what a PITA to have to worry that mess. (No, obviously I do not play bar gigs... at least not the same ones as some of you guys.)

If they spill beer I try to make it so it happens after sticky liquors, so at least I can use it to wipe the denser stuff.

My last case was nicely designed, and it could stay open at 60 degrees, so the lid acted as a shield.

So have FAS confirmed if the AX8 can handle drunk ladies/girls spilling their beers, or the contents of purses on the unit yet? And if extensive testing has been done, are any types of beer more likely to cause damage? As a gigging musician I believe this test is important.
We don't know and they're not telling us. I've brought it up several times.

Some recommend an AX-C (axe-8 condom), but there's gotta be a better idea than the bag-over-unit solution.

None of us has seen an internal shot, but I think there's an opportunity for someone to design a mod kit of seals that makes the top half water tight but still lets it breathe. Another suggestion is a hinged lexan lid with o-ring and quick release that clicks down over the knobs/screen area. You could attach it for gigs where you're worried about someone stepping on the knobs or liquids getting onto it. Or you could leave it on and flip it up when you want to tweak something mid-gig. A unit this nice certainly merits consideration of options to ruggedize the vulnerable bits.

Either way, someone's going to break their knobs or blow theirs up when it gets wet and throw a fit on the forum. Maybe FA will say something about liquids/footfall compatibility then.

We don't know and they're not telling us. I've brought it up several times.

Some recommend an AX-C (axe-8 condom), but there's gotta be a better idea than the bag-over-unit solution.

None of us has seen an internal shot, but I think there's an opportunity for someone to design a mod kit of seals that makes the top half water tight but still lets it breathe. Another suggestion is a hinged lexan lid with o-ring and quick release that clicks down over the knobs/screen area. You could attach it for gigs where you're worried about someone stepping on the knobs or liquids getting onto it. Or you could leave it on and flip it up when you want to tweak something mid-gig. A unit this nice certainly merits consideration of options to ruggedize the vulnerable bits.

Either way, someone's going to break their knobs or blow theirs up when it gets wet and throw a fit on the forum. Maybe FA will say something about liquids/footfall compatibility then.

Really? what do people do when using a tc electronic, digitech, boss, line6 or any other floor processor

Those massive boards some people have! All those individual pedals, controllers, exp pedals... What do they do? Surely there are viable solutions out there.

Really? what do people do when using a tc electronic, digitech, boss, line6 or any other floor processor
Please don't put the AX-8 in the same camp as those. They intentionally obsolete their units and if you don't buy their next hardware version, several are designed such that the unit breaks with heavy, prolonged use and you're forced to buy a new unit.

So what do people do? They give up on the unit and/or it breaks and they have to buy the company's new iteration.

Since I don't believe Fractal is going this way with the AX8, I advocate for ruggedizing it to last through the all the awesome firmware upgrades, like the rest of their products.

With as many bar gigs as I've played in my lifetime, I cannot count the number of times beer has been spilled on my rig.

I can't count it, because in about 25 years of doing so, it's never happened. :)
We've been doing different gigs then. People yell song requests in my ear as I'm playing, or come up to talk during break or after the gig, and paying zero attention to the drink in their hand. Then there's the often unpredictable and violent weather (and dodgy coverage) at the outdoor gigs. Unlike yours, my gigging life is far from liquids-free, and I don't think I'm unique in that regard.

Last edited:
Please don't put the AX-8 in the same camp as those. They intentionally obsolete their units and if you don't buy their next hardware version, several are designed such that the unit breaks with heavy, prolonged use and you're forced to buy a new unit.

So what do people do? They give up on the unit and/or it breaks and they have to buy the company's new iteration.

Since I don't believe Fractal is going this way with the AX8, I advocate for ruggedizing it to last through the all the awesome firmware upgrades, like the rest of their products.

I'm all for a rugged road worthy pedal and I have no doubt the AX-8 will be far superior to anything out there (in every respect) so I'm not worried. My vox tonelab is built like a freaking tank too. Got the SE when they first came out and it still works perfectly. I was only referencing other floor processors with regard to spilling things. Honestly, if someone has that much concern with spilt drinks they probably shouldn't use ANY floor processor, AX-8, MFC or otherwise.

91LwYRRVJpL._SX425_.jpg

get something like this in your kit. i just feed all the cables out of opening and zip it as closed as it can go. maybe something like the AX8 needs more airflow, so you'll have to adjust for that.

if i'm gigging and it starts raining on me, immediately stop. mid-song, cover the gear and put my guitar away. i don't like to be plugged into electricity while standing in the rain. before the gig starts, i tell the venue that i'm going to do that as well so there are no surprises.

many people just don't understand and they think that all gear is water proof.

Maybe they just need to offer an option out of the factory for conformal coated electronics. It would allow the warranty to stay intact and repairs to still be done if needed. But when done correctly waterproofs electronics. There are other Hydrophobic compounds out there these days as well. But I have yet to deal with them in a manufacturing or repair situation.

The stuff is nice since if you go to test or solder through it, the temp of an iron will just burn it away and act like a flux. You can scratch it away with a probe to get the the surface for testing.

Back
Top Bottom