ax8 backup emergency amp

FR5 Cali on a Metro 20 pedalboard with a TC Electronic Corona, an AMT Japanese Girl mini-wah, a mini Turbo Tuner, and a Dunlop DVP4 mini-volume pedal, which runs into a Fender mini DI box for split to monitor and PA. Runs from a old Pedal Juice battery, with a 9V to 12V converter I built to provide power for the FR5 Cali.Small, light, and sounds great. I also use it (usually with a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 12" combo) for open mics or grab 'n go jams where the AX8 is overkill.

How do you like the Cali , and do you use a strat ?

I have a Kotzen Fly Rig in my guitar case

The Kotzen and the Cali are the 2 pedals I'm considering for my backup with my strat. I haven't been anywhere to audition them , so I have no idea. I own the original flyrig , and it doesn't play well with my strat. I have high hopes for these other 2 models however.

( BTW , my amplifire pedal backup was good enough to let my rhythm guitar player use full time )

To the OP. I already have my iPad on stage, in case of emergency I grab a Line 6 Sonic Port VX, plug it in the iPad and fire Bias FX. No load to carry

How do you like the Cali , and do you use a strat ?
I tend to lean more towards Tele body shapes, some with SCs, some with HB and P90 pickups. Almost all my Strat-types and Super Strats have HSS (albeit with bridge pickup split). Also like to play Les Pauls and semi-hollows, also with HBs and P90s. Love the FR5 Cali!

I'm so confident about fractal stuff that I have a cheap backup, please don't lynch me!

1998966.jpg

20 euros second hand, is a clone of Tech 21 GT2, believe me or not this little thing can give you a credible Marshall tone in XLR balanced format. The trick is lower treble and bass for rising the mids and use less gain than you thought you needed.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge pedal user but why would you need it? couldn't you just put the delay pedal after the Firebox?
If you are going straight from its DI xlr to PA, the delay would have to go before and then it would not sound good with it as a distorted amp.

If you are going straight from its DI xlr to PA, the delay would have to go before and then it would not sound good with it as a distorted amp.
I see... I suppose things would get a little convoluted if you had to use a DI to convert back to instrument cable for the delay then again back to XLR.

Isn't that how almost every delay pedal in the world is used?

I'm so confident about fractal stuff that I have a cheap backup, please don't lynch me!

View attachment 38534

20 euros second hand, is a clone of Tech 21 GT2, believe me or not this little thing can give you a credible Marshall tone in XLR balanced format. The trick is lower treble and bass for rising the mids and use less gain than you thought you needed.
No judgement here, lol. I am actually planning on getting one to run my analog pedals through as a backup.

No issue when the amp is clean. just when distorted.
And yet, if you're not using a modeler, delay-before-amp is your only option live, so it's what most players do. You can get good results that way, even if it's not ideal. It's a good choice for a backup rig.

Back
Top Bottom