AX8/AxeFX Acoustic DI Tone Quest

RossE

Inspired
I've been a Fractal fanatic from the Axe Standard days through the Axe II and now the AX8. On all of them I've been able to get a passable DI only acoustic guitar tone, but never a great one. I find this baffling considering all the eq, IRs, compression, etc we have at our disposal. I've read lots of threads and tried many approaches over the years....tube pre, boost only drive types, custom IRs, too many different eq approaches to count, different acoustic guitars, different pickups, on and on......the results are always the same.....decent but not killer.

If I could find one preset for a DI acoustic that makes me say....'damn that sounds fantastic', I'd be a happy man.

I'm not complaining mind you. I'm just reaching out.

If anyone has found some magic bullets that would end my quest, I'd love to hear about then.

Have you tried the Taylor 915 ir that's floating out there? I use that with the tube pre-amp. I play a PRS P22 using the piezo bridge. It sounds great!

Fire up your Axe II and make a tone match of your favorite dry acoustic recording.

Thanks Brian. I bought the 3sigma audio Martin D45 IRs. I can already tell they are going to make a huge difference.
Maybe my quest is over.

What 20West said...

I had the Axe-ii and now have the AX8. I've still got a heap of presets from the Axe FX-ii that I'm yet to convert; one of them being my acoustic patch which sounds killer. That said though, that particular patch sounds damn good with a piezo equipped guitar. I think only then will that sound really shine through.

I actually posted that patch in the AX Discussion forum aaaaages ago...

Seems like using these new acoustic IRS are getting great results. The IR must be first in chain though

Thanks Brokenvail. I did not know about using them 1st in the chain. I will try that.

That's news to me also. I have tried a number of acoustic IR's, with both a piezo equipped electric and also a few piezo pickup acoustic guitars. My results have been good but not what I would call outstanding. I'll have to check to see where the IR's are in the chain on the patches I have used. From what I recall the IR's are not 1st in the chain but I'll have to check.

What's the reasoning behind having them be first if I may ask?

That's news to me also. I have tried a number of acoustic IR's, with both a piezo equipped electric and also a few piezo pickup acoustic guitars. My results have been good but not what I would call outstanding. I'll have to check to see where the IR's are in the chain on the patches I have used. From what I recall the IR's are not 1st in the chain but I'll have to check.

What's the reasoning behind having them be first if I may ask?
The logic is that since it is a TM of an acoustic you would have comp and a peq (for example) in front of the guitar

Back
Top Bottom