AX8 > Avid MBox > Atomic CLR Neo MkII....FR

Glauben

Just received my new NEO CLR MkII, and have been experimenting for about the last 2 days. My understanding of the CLR from reviews and from videos is that "you get out of it what you put into it".

However, my setup is the AX8 running into an Avid Mbox Pro, then into the CLR. I was running into Behringer Truth active monitors and was feeling like some of the presets were a little lifeless, but getting a bit more dynamic range (to be expected with near-field monitors). Once I run into the CLR, it seems a bit lifeless, but very hifi sounding nonetheless. By really tweaking the EQ settings, it seems that the I'm getting more into the red on the Mbox LEDs, but this doesn't really translate into an increase in dynamic range in the CLR, per se. Still sounding kind of lifeless.

I wonder if the Mbox is introducing any compression into the chain. (?) Is anyone else using the Mbox and having a similar experience? I had an Active FBT 12ma before with the Ultra and while it was a bit harsh on the high end, it did offer up a bit more bass through the Ultra's parametric and multi band EQ settings. Given my experience with the Axe platform, I should be getting a bit more than expected, especially if I should be "getting out what I put in".

Granted I'm in the trial period for another two weeks or so, I'd rather figure out what may not be working so I can correct the problem. Not looking to go through a number of FRFR monitors if I'm the weak link here.

I've seen a number of reviews (from the fractal site, and others) that have had mixed reviews with the CLR. Any input would be appreciated.

If you’re getting more into the red on your Mbox, that means it’s clipping. That’ll reduce your dynamic range. :)

I'm aware of that. I'm actually dialing back on the Mbox just before REDS, and not clipping on the Mbox OR the CLR. But, I am wondering why I'm not getting the dynamics on the CLR. It just seems that there's compression at some point in the chain. I wondered if its been anyones experience that the Mbox has an "inherent" degree of compression that "limits" the translation of all the parametric EQ and EQ settings in the AX8 or any fractal product for that matter. Hoping that I can get more punch out of this CLR. Ive read that the Xitone delivers more "punch", I think it was Walliman (and others) that said this. On the other hand, I'm not looking for coloration, but just the ability to deliver to the CLR what I'm expecting from turning dials and knobs.

I've gotten a 'bit' more Dynamics with that route and through optimizing gain structure and output levels.

Back
Top Bottom