AX FX for Christmas !

Robotik

Hey all, I'm entirely new to amp modeling, and I'm looking to get pointed in the right direction. The ax fx seems pretty overwhelming with all its different parameters, but I'd like to take time to really understand most of them. I'm sure you guys have a "start here" thread somewhere that I just didn't see, and if someone could link to it I'd be grateful. If not though, what's the best way to go about learning the parameters? Is it just a matter of manual reading or are there video packs somewhere that anyone has used and would recommend?

Best

Cooper Carter has several good tutorial style videos up on YouTube. Also, this Forum and the Axe FX Wiki (the link for the Wiki is listed on the Fractal Audio website under Community) are excellent sources of information. You can also take a look at some presets available for purchase, @Moke has several good ones on his website, www.CustomPresets.com, that are relatively inexpensive and very good. I learned a lot by purchasing some of his Artist/Song Specific presets and digging into them to see what made them tick as I was familiar with the artist/song. Good luck and welcome!

The best thing to do when starting out is to use all of the basic controls for the different blocks like you would on the real life amp head or effect pedal. That will get you 95% of the way there. I rarely ever touch the advanced settings and I've gotten the best tones I've ever played.

So for example:
Amp block: drive, bass, middle, treble, presence, depth, and master volume. Just use those. Try the Fat, Bright, Boost, and Cut switches, too. These are all on the Basic controls page.
Drive block: Gain, Volume, Tone.
Delay block: Time, Feedback, Mix

etc. etc. etc.

Also, this is a fantastic website to get started that was created by a forum user: https://axefxtutorials.com/

A lot of folks get intimidated with the Axe FX because it has a lot of advanced features and a bunch of weird fancy jacks on the back. All of those things are there so it accommodates users from hobbyists to professionals. Use only what you need. If you need to use an advanced feature or want to use a computer to change your patches via MIDI and sync with MIDI clock, or just want to jam out with some headphones on, it's all there. Just use what you need and ignore everything else.

Last edited:
The best thing to do when starting out is to use all of the basic controls for the different blocks like you would on the real life amp head or effect pedal. That will get you 95% of the way there. I rarely ever touch the advanced settings and I've gotten the best tones I've ever played.

So for example:
Amp block: drive, bass, middle, treble, presence, depth, and master volume. Just use those. Try the Fat, Bright, Boost, and Cut switches, too. These are all on the Basic controls page.
Drive block: Gain, Volume, Tone.
Delay block: Time, Feedback, Mix

etc. etc. etc.

Also, this is a fantastic website to get started that was created by a forum user: https://axefxtutorials.com/

A lot of folks get intimidated with the Axe FX because it has a lot of advanced features and a bunch of weird fancy jacks on the back. All of those things are there so it accommodates users from hobbyists to professionals. Use only what you need. If you need to use an advanced feature or want to use a computer to change your patches via MIDI and sync with MIDI clock, or just want to jam out with some headphones on, it's all there. Just use what you need and ignore everything else.

What he said! But I disagree with one point: with these latest FW updates, basic settings will get you 99% there not 95%. :)

Manual is a great place to start. Wiki is also very helpful. Once you get familiar with the turf, Yek's guides are extremely helpful. There are a lot of great videos as well. Yes there is a bit of a learning curve, but at one point or another, every single person here was in the same boat as you. Just swallow an extra dose of patience and persistence and you'll figure it out. And welcome to the machine!! (and to the forum)

Welcome and congrats. My advise, learn using a computer and axe edit. Then learn the front panel later. Less overwhelming. I've read the entire manual many times. Most importantly, don't get frustrated, just do a search or post a help thread when needed. We all love to talk about this stuff.

You don't have to worry about all the parameters right away. Yes it can be deep and daunting but the shallow end is warm and inviting, complete with umbrella drinks and tonez for dayz.

Back
Top Bottom