Average dB SPL of Frequency Sweep for IR Capture?

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Oh hall of elders, when using the frequency sweep to capture a Cab IR, how loud should that sweep be playing through the cab?

Should it be 60 dB SPL, 70 dB SPL, or higher?

I am just curious, at what point is the volume of the sweep not enough and what point is it too much?

Last edited:
Hi everyone who has shot an ir, do you have any guidance on how loud you should play that frequency sweep through the speaker?

I have played with shooting IR's and had the best results with it pretty loud, like playing a hard rock gig. I never got an IR I was happy with though so I leave it to the pros!

I did mine at 100-105db. I didn't do any comparisons with low SPL's, I just figured that's the SPL the speakers usually work at. I don't think there would be any differences, but that's one thing to test!

I am happy to report during a test capture last night, 90 dB SPL seemed to be the sweet spot. Thanks again for the help!

Cool! I'm curious how are you measuring SPL?
I used to have a Radio Shack one that worked well for years. Now I use Sound Meter Pro from the Android app store and it works pretty well for this purpose.

It was calibrated to my local police force's sound meter when I complained about the football field next to my house blaring gangsta rap, so loud it was 96 db SPL in the house with all the doors and windows closed. We got that situation under control really quick.after the officer & I both had the same reading.

Last edited:
To thank everyone for the guidance, I will post a "mystery IR" that you should find good for bass guitar.

You will find it pairs especially well with the following amps, Mesa Bass, SVT, & Band Commander.

Let me know what you think.

I produced this as a dress rehearsal of techniques & hook ups in advance of an IR session I am doing tomorrow night.

Attachments

• mystery spkr.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
Be carefull the rapsters at the foot ball field may take care of you pretty quick playing and sending those space noises at 90db!LOL!

Back
Top Bottom