auto wah tip

simeon

Axe-Master
the regular wah has a "tracking" parameter. i was never sure what this did, so i looked it up in the manual and it's a kind of "dynamic Q" control....flattening out the Q value as you go toe down. it then occurred to me that this might also be happening in an auto wah like the mutron. i've been experimenting and it seems to be so. if you attach envelope to frequency and Q and set the damping parameter to the same value... and set the start and end values so that the Q flattens out as frequency increases... it sounds really good...much more "quack" than if you have a static Q value.

got a pretty fat filter going on here. i'll post a clip and fx block later... :)

I'm definitely intrigued; I could never get a satisfactory auto wah no matter how I tweaked the attack, release, etc....

Simeon,

Just tried that, and.... there's no Q to attach to.
So I asume you use a FILTER block instead of a WAH block.
My Question: why don't you use the WAH block and attach the envelope to freq?

My favorite settings for the past year or so:

FILTER block (before Amp)

Lowpass

Order: 4th

Frequency attached to Envelope

Frequency modifier settings:
Min 120.3, Max 9.983
Start 0, Mid 40.3, End 100

Q attached to Envelope

Q modifier settings:
Min 9.058, Max 0.673
Start 0, Mid 43.6, End 100

Envelope settings:
Threshold -100
Attack 17.31
Release 5.42
Gain 1.27

i prefer the sound of the filter block to the wah block

i'm not saying it's perfect, but when using a filter instead of the wah, modifying the Q really works. obviously if you're using the wah block, then you don't need to worry

very quick demo...

fx block attached. the "mid" parameter where envelope is tied to filter frequency is the most powerful tweak tool, because it controls how much the filter opens and therefore how bright or dark the overall sound is. the envelope modifier settings are at default, btw

edit: looks like Yek already sussed this out!

Last edited:
the regular wah has a "tracking" parameter. ... it sounds really good...much more "quack" than if you have a static Q value.

Sim, this tracking parameter is what I have used to adjust the wah sound to each preset I am using a wah in. It was the "breakthough" find that finally made my expression pedals react and sound more like the old Cry Baby or similar wahs. I am really interested to give your autowah a try when I get home!

Sounds great! Mind sharing your settings?

• Clean amp patch (kinda important)
• Filter Block in front
• Set to BANDPASS
• GAIN: -3
• Q:5
• Set Parameter Modifie : to "Envelope"
• Set Parameter Modifier : to MIN:20hz MAX: 15,000hz
• Set Parameter Modifier: Damping: (Set between 10-20ms depending on how hard you play)

• Clean amp patch (kinda important)
• Filter Block in front
• Set to BANDPASS
• GAIN: -3
• Q:5
• Set Parameter Modifie : to "Envelope"
• Set Parameter Modifier : to MIN:20hz MAX: 15,000hz
• Set Parameter Modifier: Damping: (Set between 10-20ms depending on how hard you play)

Thank you Gamedojo!

I don't want to get to far off topic here, but how are you exporting/importing the fx block file with out AE?
Sounds great. If you wouldn't mind posting the basic settings I'd appreciate it.

i used axe edit. you can still load the fx block into axe edit without it being connected to the axe and see what the settings are

here are the settings anyway..

lowpass filter type
order = 4th
level = -3db
frequency tied to envelope - 0/50/100, min = 100, max = 16500, damping = 24
Q tied to envelope - 0/50/100, min = 3.5, max = 1, damping = 24

the regular wah has a "tracking" parameter. i was never sure what this did, so i looked it up in the manual and it's a kind of "dynamic Q" control....flattening out the Q value as you go toe down. it then occurred to me that this might also be happening in an auto wah like the mutron. i've been experimenting and it seems to be so. if you attach envelope to frequency and Q and set the damping parameter to the same value... and set the start and end values so that the Q flattens out as frequency increases... it sounds really good...much more "quack" than if you have a static Q value.

got a pretty fat filter going on here. i'll post a clip and fx block later... :)
Thanks Simeon
Keep the tips coming

My favorite settings for the past year or so:

FILTER block (before Amp)

Lowpass

Frequency attached to Envelope

Frequency modifier settings:
Min 120.3, Max 9.983
Start 0, Mid 40.3, End 100

Q attached to Envelope