Auto patch and scene changes with Logic Pro X

Dillonski

Inspired
Hi Guys,
I know this has been asked before but I'm at a real loss here. I've browsed the forums and youtube looking for advice on how to do this but nothing is working for me.

I have my Axe XL+ connected to Logic via USB. In logic I create an external MIDI track and I set it to the Axe-Fxs MIDI channel 1. I create MIDI events in logic, I play the track but when the cursor goes over the MIDI event, the MIDI in light on the Axe-Fx turns green but no change happens.

Literally driving me crazy, any help would be appreciated

UPDATE - I've now got it changing between patches automatically but I can't work out how to change Scenes

Last edited:
ok, i just tried this (having never done it before) to see if i could get it working. i did. here's how i did it...

create external instrument track (select axe fx midi in on the same channel as the axe fx)
create empty midi region
open the event list
select "program change" from the dropdown next to the "+" sign
put the play line in the spot where i want the change to happen
hit the "+" sign
set channel number to same as axe fx
set "Val" to the program change number i want to select

i then drew in some controller data by exposing the "midi draw" window in the piano roll
i made sure i selected the right midi channel and then i drew in a curve for controller 1
controller 1 for me is external 1 and i attached that to a wah

works fine!

ok just saw your message that you got patch changes working

you can select scenes using specific values of cc34, but i think you can also use program change data (i'm not sure, i don't use scenes)

you can do it with cc34 if you can find out what the values are (look in the scenes manual) just by drawing in "midi draw" like i did above

ok, i just tried this (having never done it before) to see if i could get it working. i did. here's how i did it...

create external instrument track (select axe fx midi in on the same channel as the axe fx)
create empty midi region
open the event list
select "program change" from the dropdown next to the "+" sign
put the play line in the spot where i want the change to happen
hit the "+" sign
set channel number to same as axe fx
set "Val" to the program change number i want to select

i then drew in some controller data by exposing the "midi draw" window in the piano roll
i made sure i selected the right midi channel and then i drew in a curve for controller 1
controller 1 for me is external 1 and i attached that to a wah

works fine!

Thanks for the reply man. I just tried all that but regardless of what number I put in the value box it just goes to that number patches on my Axe-Fx. I can't get it to do anything other than change patches

you need to change the dropdown. it's a bit hidden and not immediately obvious - next to the "+" sign - it'll say "progr. change" at the moment. select "controller", i think it is

Just one more thing, in the song I'm programming I have a section where I go from scene 1 straight to scene 3. Is it possible to do this with one MIDI CC? At the moment I have to go to Scene 2 and then Scene 3 using the MIDI CCs 123 and 124 for increase and decrease scenes

Just one more thing, in the song I'm programming I have a section where I go from scene 1 straight to scene 3. Is it possible to do this with one MIDI CC? At the moment I have to go to Scene 2 and then Scene 3 using the MIDI CCs 123 and 124 for increase and decrease scenes
yes... set the value of cc34 to the scene - 1.... so if you want scene 3 you need to send value 2 on cc34

Hey Guys,

I'm also a little stuck here... I'm in the same position Dillonski was. I'm able to change patches just fine with Logic, but as soon as I put in a controller on CC34 for scene changes, nothing works.

I've exhausted all options at this point...is there something in the axe fx I need to change?

assuming you're connected via usb, i would check that the axe fx shows up in the midi pane in "audio midi setup" and is active

if you have followed the instructions earlier in this thread, you might want to download "midi monitor" and check that midi messages are being sent out by logic.

tell us what you've done to troubleshoot

it's a bit like going into a garage and saying "my car won't start' and leaving....more info please...

Back
Top Bottom