Australian pricing?

Hi OP

I did the maths on this as I have relatives in the United States.

$999 USD is the headline price, however there are local state taxes depending on where the FM is shipped to. You can add around 8% (or $80 bucks, depending on the State) -new total = $1080 USD. Then the FM shipping, within USA - let's call that another $90 USD (+/- - happy to be corrected). New total $1170 USD.

$1170 USD divided by .68 ($USD to AUD) = $1720 AUD. Then you have to ship it to Oz - probably at least $150 USD for 5 kilos (I say $USD, as that is where it is going to get packed and sent from) ... new total is the equivalent of $1940 AUD.

And then ... you'll probably have to pay GST at 10% when it gets here - new/final total $2134 AUD.

In the unlikely event anything goes wrong, you gotta reverse the shipping process and send it back to where you got it for warranty. Warranty responsibility lies with the seller, so not fair to expect the Australian distributor to cover any expense when you bought it elsewhere. Don't misinterpret this as a potential denial of warranty service - I'm sure Fractal will provide. It's just the same as if your TV broke though - you'd take that back to where you bought it to get it fixed.

To me the maths just doesn't stack up ... buy it local, support the local disti, and they will look after you if there are local issues.

I'm on the wait list for a headphone FM3. I've not dealt directly with Independent, but I know from a very well connected AU source that they are great ...

Now I just gotta get my unit!!!

But... but... Independant have no stock of anything... so will Fractal now open up buying direct for Aussies?

The FM3 is cheaper in Thailand 45,000 THB = 1,337 USD = 1,776 AUD. And they have stock. Come to splash some water for Songkran and return with one in your suitcase or backpack :D

I reached out to them, when they announced that they'd be getting some FM9's in, to ask why they were marked up over the US price so much - Andrew broke down pretty much every part of the pricing, which I thought was an unusual bit of transparency on his part.

Unfortunately, they've already pushed back the approximate time they're going to arrive once, and I suspect they'll have to again. :-(

I reached out to them, when they announced that they'd be getting some FM9's in, to ask why they were marked up over the US price so much - Andrew broke down pretty much every part of the pricing, which I thought was an unusual bit of transparency on his part.

Unfortunately, they've already pushed back the approximate time they're going to arrive once, and I suspect they'll have to again. :-(
Hiya Gitguy

Did you get a price from Andrew for the FM9? I have asked, but nothing firm yet ...

I also asked Fractal directly whether the specials they announce from time to time (for example a small batch of FM3's for $999 USD), could be made available to Aussies - after all it "should" just be extra shipping plus some local taxes. No answer on that yet either ...

Maybe when (eventually) the FM3/9 MkII with the larger scribble strip come out, there will be stock heading to the land of Oz.

Cheers

Doogz

Hiya Gitguy

Did you get a price from Andrew for the FM9? I have asked, but nothing firm yet ...

I also asked Fractal directly whether the specials they announce from time to time (for example a small batch of FM3's for $999 USD), could be made available to Aussies - after all it "should" just be extra shipping plus some local taxes. No answer on that yet either ...

Maybe when (eventually) the FM3/9 MkII with the larger scribble strip come out, there will be stock heading to the land of Oz.

Cheers

Doogz
I'm not Gitguy, but the original email from Independent Music said it was probably going to be in the low $3k range, though they didn't commit to that.

$3k even is not going to happen. There'll be the usual spiel about price increases and component shortages and it'll be $3.5k before you know it. Everyone wants their little piece of the pie.

$3k even is not going to happen. There'll be the usual spiel about price increases and component shortages and it'll be $3.5k before you know it. Everyone wants their little piece of the pie.
To clarify, I wasn't told $3,000; they said it would be probably somewhere around $3,200-3,300, at the (at the time) exchange rate. It's better now than it was then (about $0.75 to the USD as compared to about $0.72 at the time), so may not go up much.

Even if - and Im not saying they are - IM are "extra-profiting" from being the Aussie Fractal distributor the fact is that (a) they are a very small business (b) they offer outstanding service and (c) they are local and handle all warranty issues super-professionally and as quick as possible and (d) you have a warranty as opposed to a direct o/seas import.

Its an infinitesimally small price to pay for all the above and it keeps fellow Aussies in and running a fantastic small business ... which in turn adds our "down-under contribution" to help in our small part keep the Fractal wheels turning and moving forward.

More power to them :)

Ben

I'm sure every Aussie looking into Fractal gear has done these financial gymnastics in their heads. It does seem like double the price at a glance but when you factor in fluctuating exchange rates, US taxes, AU taxes, straight up shipping cost from the US, local storage for IM, staff/support/overheads and all the rest of it you start to go... ok yeah that mysterious few hundred $$$ actually makes sense now.

I always put the shoe on the other foot and go "What would I be selling them for if I was the distributer", it changes your outlook a whole lot.

Go on a holiday to the US and bring it back with you or buy it from IM, either way you wont be disappointed!

I'm sure every Aussie looking into Fractal gear has done these financial gymnastics in their heads. It does seem like double the price at a glance but when you factor in fluctuating exchange rates, US taxes, AU taxes, straight up shipping cost from the US, local storage for IM, staff/support/overheads and all the rest of it you start to go... ok yeah that mysterious few hundred $$$ actually makes sense now.

I always put the shoe on the other foot and go "What would I be selling them for if I was the distributer", it changes your outlook a whole lot.

Go on a holiday to the US and bring it back with you or buy it from IM, either way you wont be disappointed!
I thought about bringing one home after my next visit to the US, but then warranty issues would be a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom