Audio purists - favorite recordings to give your stereo a workout?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Greetings y'all!

There must be other dinosaurs here who still hold on to their high-end turntables and CD players? I'd like to see others chime in about their go-to recordings to audition audio equipment, impress your friends, or simply enjoy like a fine wine.

I'm not going to bother posting YouTube links for my favorites... because (even though it gives an idea of content) YouTube sound is total trash. I won't mind searching for any recommendations, however obscure, made by anyone here.

1-) Rickie-Lee Jones' first album (particularly the tracks "Last chance Texaco" and "Night train"). How this unknown artist (at the time) managed to get such pristine recording quality is mind-boggling.

2-) Steely Dan (anything from Gaucho or Aja). The precision, the clarity, and the super-wide sound stage that extends well beyond the width of your speaker placement is still a standard against which many other recordings are measured.

3-) Norah Jones (particularly her first album). Even though this was recorded with too much compression for my taste (to join in to the volume wars), the engineer managed to squeeze in incredible dynamics, thanks also to the amazing subtlety of all the contributing musicians.

4-) Holly Cole (specifically the song "Train song" from the album Temptation) - to give your system's low-end a serious workout, and for the amazing dynamics

5-) Ozric Tentacles (particularly the Technicians of the sacred album). This is a huge departure from everything else but it combines psychedelia, trance, electronics, and real and obscure native and "world" acoustic instruments, while providing a very pleasant audio imaging workout.

6-) Clarke - Di Meola - Ponty (Rites of strings). Just beautiful, all acoustic. Imaging is "artificial", but we forgive them.

7-) Patricia Barber (Companion album) for soundstage depth

:cool: Dave Grusin (direct-to-disc "Discovered again"), superb!

... and I am very fond of acoustic jazz recordings. I wish I could easily find some that have been recorded with the "dual microphone in front of the live performance" type, as these tend to have superb soundstage depth and height!

Suggestions anyone?

Oh, bonus question: a good web site to buy and sell quality audio equipment? I'm aware of Audiogon, Reverb, and canuckaudiomart, looking for broader reach. Thanks!

7-)

IMG_2575.jpeg

WinLabs strain-gauge phono cartridge, preamp, mag-lev tonearm, and turntable.

I’ve never seen anybody else use the Rickie Lee Jones album as a reference. I thought I was the only one. Lol

Sheffield direct to disc slays.

Last edited:
Riviera Paradise - Stevie Ray Vaughn. Good dynamic range and excellent tone and space for each instrument
Oh thanks for that! I would never have even thought of SRV for fine detailed high-end audio, but you're right about this one (I need to listen to more SRV!)

Greetings y'all!

There must be other dinosaurs here who still hold on to their high-end turntables and CD players? I'd like to see others chime in about their go-to recordings to audition audio equipment, impress your friends, or simply enjoy like a fine wine.

I'm not going to bother posting YouTube links for my favorites... because (even though it gives an idea of content) YouTube sound is total trash. I won't mind searching for any recommendations, however obscure, made by anyone here.

1-) Rickie-Lee Jones' first album (particularly the tracks "Last chance Texaco" and "Night train"). How this unknown artist (at the time) managed to get such pristine recording quality is mind-boggling.

2-) Steely Dan (anything from Gaucho or Aja). The precision, the clarity, and the super-wide sound stage that extends well beyond the width of your speaker placement is still a standard against which many other recordings are measured.

3-) Norah Jones (particularly her first album). Even though this was recorded with too much compression for my taste (to join in to the volume wars), the engineer managed to squeeze in incredible dynamics, thanks also to the amazing subtlety of all the contributing musicians.

4-) Holly Cole (specifically the song "Train song" from the album Temptation) - to give your system's low-end a serious workout, and for the amazing dynamics

5-) Ozric Tentacles (particularly the Technicians of the sacred album). This is a huge departure from everything else but it combines psychedelia, trance, electronics, and real and obscure native and "world" acoustic instruments, while providing a very pleasant audio imaging workout.

6-) Clarke - Di Meola - Ponty (Rites of strings). Just beautiful, all acoustic. Imaging is "artificial", but we forgive them.

7-) Patricia Barber (Companion album) for soundstage depth

:cool: Dave Grusin (direct-to-disc "Discovered again"), superb!

... and I am very fond of acoustic jazz recordings. I wish I could easily find some that have been recorded with the "dual microphone in front of the live performance" type, as these tend to have superb soundstage depth and height!

Suggestions anyone?

Oh, bonus question: a good web site to buy and sell quality audio equipment? I'm aware of Audiogon, Reverb, and canuckaudiomart, looking for broader reach. Thanks!

7-)

One more vote for Ricky Lee Jones.

I'm gonna post them cause its easier than typing. Plus his mixes and masters were so good they still sound great squashed into a streaming format. On CD they are transcendental.

My mixing book mentioned GnR Chinese Democracy and the first Rage Against The Machine album (among others). Skunk Anansie for the extreme bass.

Refused “the shape of punk to come” sounds incredible on a basic car stereo via mp3, I imagine a quality vinyl setup would be amazing.

Back in the day, my go to album to take to stereo stores when shopping was "Dark Side Of The Moon"! IMO, it covers all the bases to test a system, especially the beginning of the track "Time". "Great Gig In The Sky" with the wailing vocals is another track that can really tell you what a system can do with a nice voice. Another more obscure one I would recommend is XTC's Apple Venus vol 1 and 2. A lot of sonic territory covered there as well. "Greenman" would be the first track I would play from those two recordings.

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes by Paul Simon. Dense but articulate. A richness of textures, expertly blended together.

For the record, I’m not an “audio purist.” To me, that term means “Go vintage or go home.” I don’t feel that way about guitars, amps or audio. If I were an amp purist, I wouldn’t be here.

Back
Top Bottom