Audio PC Build recommendations (1k and under budget)

Sorry man, but not only does he not need such a beast of a machine, but there is no way that will fit into his budget. You can't compare a PC built to run a Flight Sim which is VERY hardware intensive with one for what he needs to do. Multiple SDD drives? 32GB of RAM? With his budget he is obviously not doing this for pro caliber stuff.

Actually bro, that rig isn't too far from 1K, could easily be in budget if he shopped around.

OP - I've built and bought. Will never buy again. The markup almost anywhere is unbefuckinglievable.

Don't get the creation station, unless you understand the previous comment. A security blanket. It's a mediocre machine with tech support. Just remember, the tech support will be mediocre too. So much easier to just spend some time getting familiar with the tools you are going to use. Though it's a PITA, i've never regretted time spent under the hood of anything.

That said, Woot: Daily Deals for Electronics, Computers, Home, Tools, Garden, Sport, Accessories, Kids, Shirt, Wine, & more has great deals on some absolutely killer PC's. If I ever buy again, It'll be a skeleton system from them that I'll upgrade.

450$ (<-- link to PC) - AMD quad core, 12 gb ram, radeon GPU and 2 tb hdd. Spend another 100 bucks on a Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts SSD and you're there. There are install videos all over youtube for any part, system, software you can get. That's a killer deal.

There are even better deals that come through, and they cycle every day....so if you don't catch this today, fear not.

If you need any help, or just want to ask questions PM me. I'm happy to help ya out.

Good luck.

It really depends on what you are going to use the machine for.

I have a creation station and a rain (out of business) both rackmount and dedicated to audio.

I am a big fan of Sweetwater. Keeping Pro Tools running on Windows is a pain in the arse and they are there for me and have helped me get going many many times.

The rain was cheaper and is still going strong too. It is louder than the creation station though. Those creation station's are dead quiet. Really remarkable that way.

I would consider another creation station for Pro Tools. If I wasn't planning on using Pro Tools, I would consider something else but would have to suss out the fan noise first.

Side by side the creation station really stands out as being quiet for a rackmount server.

I didn't say he needed all the shit in my flight sim rig. Fast processor, lots of RAM, decent power supply, 64bit OS, 2 SDDs. If you can't do that for a grand you're doing it wrong.

And stay away from brands like HP. They load up everything they sell with a ton of performance sucking software running in the background.

Here's your basic rig on Newegg. This took 5 minutes to put together.

BUSlink CD/DVD Combo Drive Black IDE Model RWD-5216B
IN STOCK
$55.99

GIGABYTE GZ-ZA1 Black ABS / 0.6mm SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
IN STOCK
$43.99
$29.99
Save: 31.83%

COOLMAX V-500 500W ATX Power Supply
IN STOCK
$28.99
$24.99
Save: 13.80%

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GSR
IN STOCK
$239.99

GIGABYTE GA-P85-D3 LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
IN STOCK
$74.99
$69.99
Save: 6.67%

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
$349.99
$339.99
Save: 2.86%

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM
IN STOCK
$99.99

120mm Computer Case Cooling Fan LP4 Adapter Silent Smoke Rosewill
IN STOCK
$29.98
$15.98
Save: 46.70%
($7.99 ea.)

PNY CS1111 SSD7CS1111-240-RB 2.5" 240GB SATA-III (6 Gb/s) MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
IN STOCK
LIMIT 3
$219.98
$169.98
Save: 22.73%
($84.99 ea.)
Subtotal: $1,046.89

And op keep in mind, Minus a GPU that's a hellafied rig that would (with a GPU) run most games at very decent settings....which means for an audio workhorse it's like using a supercomputer for addition. You couldn't go wrong with that build.

Also, as far as bloatware, Don't worry about brands of comps per se...the first thing you do when you buy a pre-built comp from anyone (save for high end boutique builders who will load only what is specified) is wipe it, re format with a fresh copy of windows(or the OS of your choice), turn off auto updates and research the daw vs the updates so you know which updates to install.

and just some randoms - Back your work up, invest in an external HD or run raid 1 or both (look it up).

Create system images or restore points regularly. This can be automated.

If your system is stable and kicking ass, turn off all auto updates. If it aint broke, no need to fix it.

If your system is stable and kicking ass, turn off all auto updates. If it aint broke, no need to fix it.
As long as you don't mind being vulnerable to to new viruses/bugs/exploits. :)

Seriously, keep those updates coming unless you never connect to the Internet or any other computer. Even then...

I left off a GPU because again for DAWs, you don't need video performance or PhysX or AntiAliasing or HDR or care about streamer pipelines et cetera so on and so forth. Onboard video via the motherboard will suffice, as will on-board audio since the Axe-FX or other interface will be your sound card anyway for audio work.

If you also want to play graphics heavy games you can get an adequate GPU for another $150.

BUSlink CD/DVD Combo Drive Black IDE Model RWD-5216B
IN STOCK
$55.99

GIGABYTE GZ-ZA1 Black ABS / 0.6mm SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
IN STOCK
$43.99
$29.99
Save: 31.83%

COOLMAX V-500 500W ATX Power Supply
IN STOCK
$28.99
$24.99
Save: 13.80%

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GSR
IN STOCK
$239.99

GIGABYTE GA-P85-D3 LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
IN STOCK
$74.99
$69.99
Save: 6.67%

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
$349.99
$339.99
Save: 2.86%

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM
IN STOCK
$99.99

120mm Computer Case Cooling Fan LP4 Adapter Silent Smoke Rosewill
IN STOCK
$29.98
$15.98
Save: 46.70%
($7.99 ea.)

PNY CS1111 SSD7CS1111-240-RB 2.5" 240GB SATA-III (6 Gb/s) MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
IN STOCK
LIMIT 3
$219.98
$169.98
Save: 22.73%
($84.99 ea.)

How much less would if he got a standard 1T HD, only 8G of RAM, and a "slower" processor? You are also assuming he is capable of putting all this together and then loading the OS and verifying all works as it should. Some people just don't want to do that.

Once again, this is WAY above what he *needs* for his purposes.

If you can operate an Axe-FX II, you can build a PC. When I spec, I spec for performance and longevity, computers that will be able to handle workload in the future. The reason I chose these specs was to minimize latency and bogging down. Recording digital audio needs horsepower. If the budget is a grand, get the most out of that grand that you can.

Why do you insist on trying to shoot holes in a theoretical build? Why do you advocate spending too much on too little computer from retail vendors? Why do you assume the OP is a moron? You got skin in the game or something?

It's my OPINION repeat OPINION that for PC's buying retail is a total rip-off.

If you can operate an Axe-FX II, you can build a PC. LOL, nope. I have no interest in building my own despite being very proficient at building RC Helicopters.

Why do you insist on trying to shoot holes in a theoretical build? Why do you advocate spending too much on too little computer from retail vendors? Why do you assume the OP is a moron? You got skin in the game or something?

It's my OPINION repeat OPINION that for PC's buying retail is a total rip-off.

I have a 5 year old MBP that does an amazing job of recording, mixing and producing. The fact of the matter is that someone looking to build a $1000 PC to solely use it for audio purposes can get away with something that can do the job VERY well without all the bells and whistles you are suggesting. The OP didn't mention what he is doing this for, so I'm trying to say that despite OPINIONS that he needs all this high end gear, he can get something that will do the job for less.

I have an OPINION just like you and have a lot of computer knowledge as well. Why does my OPINION bother you so much????

You want to argue for the cheapest possible solution. I want to argue for the biggest bang for the same buck. I find it to be not all the fact of the matter that you can get away with something cheaper and do the job very well. That's just not true. I didn't list any bells and whistles at all. There's no GPU. There's no water cooling block. No wireless-N. There's no LED fans or any of that silliness I put in because I have eff-you money (not really).

In my opinion, my build sheet is a barebones system with just a little bit of power and last years (at least) 2nd tier components. There's nothing high end about that rig. There's no fluff, just some assurance that large amounts of data, big regions can be copied and pasted and manipulated without hanging or crashing and will flow through this processor, motherboard - especially thinking about FSB speeds, latency of the RAM modules and write speeds to the SDDs. That stuff matters. You get half of what you pay for in retail.

I stand firmly by my statement that anyone can build a PC after reading the mobo manual and watching a YouTube or two. It's not rocket surgery. I seriously believe that if you can set up your rig, change a tire, drive a car, put up your entertainment system, use a screwdriver, walk and chew gum at the same time, you can build a PC in an afternoon while drinking a frosty one or two.

You don't need 1k to build a usable audio PC build.

Get a mid-level soundcard, a 1TB HDD, at least 256GB SDD for your temporary DAW files and 16 Gigs of Ram on a 64 bit W7 and you're good to go.

If possible, grab a cheap second screen so you can seperate your DAW main window from external toolsets. Not mandatory, but recommended. Makes multitasking a lot easier.

But you don't even need all that recommended above. What you actually need, is enough expertize to use your DAW properly. I'm pretty sure a skilled producer could work with a cheap-ass laptop and still get quality productions out of it.

What you actually need, is enough expertize to use your DAW properly. I'm pretty sure a skilled producer could work with a cheap-ass laptop and still get quality productions out of it.

I know for a FACT that this is the case. I know a Grammy Award winning Mixer who uses Macs that are five years old, and still works with them to do everything he needs to do.

Last edited:
Things to consider if you build your own

- Power Supplies, one misconception to buy based on Watts alone. What is important is to look at the Amps as they vary and are more important than Watts. If you have too low of amps, you are starving your PC which leads to lower performance as components compensate to use less. 450W P/S with 35Amp or more will out perform any that shows 10-20 Amps no matter how many watts it says. This is A+ Certification 101 but most don't know this fact. Used to be an onsite PC tech and one of the highest causes of PC failure across all components was an issue with the Power Supply. Replacing things all the time, repeat failure, performance slows unexpectedly with no explanation? Its probably an under powered power supply with low amps. Same reason we all buy fancy power conditioners for our gear, to protect it.

- Video Cards do make a difference in performance as they transfer much of the workload off the CPU and Memory to the Video Card. Cheap MB's with built in video are worthless especially if the DAW has high detail or your using dual monitors.

- Personally I think the only real valuable use of an SSD for real time performance is as a 3rd drive storing all your Superior Drummer or Synth samples since reading from an SSD in real time is optimal and is typically what is occurring in those scenarios. Most everything in your DAW is loaded into RAM so even if it came from a floppy, other than initial load times, it wont matter once its all loaded in RAM. Stick with standard HDD, works just fine.

Anyone can build their own PC with a little smarts and get more for less with expansion capability which is not always possible from Dell or sweetwater.

I know for a FACT that this is the case. I know a Grammy Award winning Mixer who uses Macs that are five years old, and still works with them to do everything he needs to do.

2005 wasn't that long ag, it was probably a killer Mac Pro for that time, and I highly doubt its still in the same stock configuration as when it was bought.

You don't need 1k to build a usable audio PC build.

Get a mid-level soundcard, a 1TB HDD, at least 256GB SDD for your temporary DAW files and 16 Gigs of Ram on a 64 bit W7 and you're good to go.

If possible, grab a cheap second screen so you can seperate your DAW main window from external toolsets. Not mandatory, but recommended. Makes multitasking a lot easier.

But you don't even need all that recommended above. What you actually need, is enough expertize to use your DAW properly. I'm pretty sure a skilled producer could work with a cheap-ass laptop and still get quality productions out of it.

You don't need a sound card. Between onboard audio and the Axe-FX and whatever other interface happens to be floating around a sound card is redundant. I haven't done a build with a sound card in 7 or 8 years.

Experience with DAWs are completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Things to consider if you build your own

- Power Supplies, one misconception to buy based on Watts alone. What is important is to look at the Amps as they vary and are more important than Watts. If you have too low of amps, you are starving your PC which leads to lower performance as components compensate to use less. 450W P/S with 35Amp or more will out perform any that shows 10-20 Amps no matter how many watts it says. This is A+ Certification 101 but most don't know this fact. Used to be an onsite PC tech and one of the highest causes of PC failure across all components was an issue with the Power Supply. Replacing things all the time, repeat failure, performance slows unexpectedly with no explanation? Its probably an under powered power supply with low amps. Same reason we all buy fancy power conditioners for our gear, to protect it.

Hear Hear!

- Video Cards do make a difference in performance as they transfer much of the workload off the CPU and Memory to the Video Card. Cheap MB's with built in video are worthless especially if the DAW has high detail or your using dual monitors.

Low latency DDR3 RAM right on the mobo and lots of it is cheaper and more efficient.

- Personally I think the only real valuable use of an SSD for real time performance is as a 3rd drive storing all your Superior Drummer or Synth samples since reading from an SSD in real time is optimal and is typically what is occurring in those scenarios. Most everything in your DAW is loaded into RAM so even if it came from a floppy, other than initial load times, it wont matter once its all loaded in RAM. Stick with standard HDD, works just fine.

I'm all about less moving parts. Spinning platter drives fail at the worst possible time and there's no getting them spinning again unless you want to do major HDD surgery. I've been burned before. Since SDD's I've never let it happen again. Also, I'm all about redundant RAID configs to prevent data loss.

Anyone can build their own PC with a little smarts and get more for less with expansion capability which is not always possible from Dell or sweetwater.

DAMN RIGHT

All of everything I said is contingent on it being a PC. Full disclosure: I HATE PC's and everything about them. The only reason I still involve myself at all is flight sims and ArmA 3 and the fact that they are cheap shit that schools and work consign themselves to. If it weren't for gaming work and school I would never touch a Windows PC again. I won't even look at a W-8 computer if I can help it. Alas Macs are expensive, and the start of this was a 1k and below.

I personally would tell the OP to run, not walk, to an Apple store and get a Mac mini and an external SDD for storage and be done with it.

Sent from my Late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 Mac mini with 16Gb 1600MHz DDR3 memory and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1,024MB of video RAM running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 that I paid maybe $799 for.

Holy crap.

well.... I bought a 2nd Gen i5 Acer. It has 6gb of ram, a 480gb hdd, and usb 3.0. It also has a 2gb GeForce video card cause I like to play games and watch movies and it helps for DAWs that are heavy on the gui. It cost 700 CDN. It came with win 7 64bit.

For storage I bought an 5 terabyte usb 3 external drive for 150 CDN.

For connecting, a 4 port USB 3 hub and four 15 foot usb cables.

All said and done it was about a grand.

I record 32 mono tracks in WAV @ 48000 with no latency from my Behringer x32 producer.

And my opinion is to run, not walk, as far away from mac or apple as humanly possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom