Audio Interface Recommendations

apclark31

Hi all!

Tried searching around for a similar thread but came up short - apologies if this is a duplicate of any existing questions here...

I am a new owner of an Axe FX III, and I'm blown away by the quality of the preamps. Frankly, when I run through my Scarlett 6i6 the audio quality sounds degraded to my ears, and I've read around the forums with similar sentiments regarding that line of audio interfaces.

While the Axe FX is great going straight into my PC via USB, I prefer to have an audio interface so I may use my studio monitors, control levels easier, etc without tweaking the Axe FX itself.

Are there are any Audio Interfaces out there with preamps that rival the quality of the Axe FX II?

Thank you in advance for any help shopping around!

I have a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 digital mixer. I run the Outputs from the AxeFX III directly into two linked channels and the Firewire connection to my Macbook Pro. Sounds exactly the same as the direct USB connection on the AxeFX III. How are you connecting the Axe to the Scarlett 6i6?

Hi all!

Tried searching around for a similar thread but came up short - apologies if this is a duplicate of any existing questions here...

I am a new owner of an Axe FX III, and I'm blown away by the quality of the preamps. Frankly, when I run through my Scarlett 6i6 the audio quality sounds degraded to my ears, and I've read around the forums with similar sentiments regarding that line of audio interfaces.

While the Axe FX is great going straight into my PC via USB, I prefer to have an audio interface so I may use my studio monitors, control levels easier, etc without tweaking the Axe FX itself.

Are there are any Audio Interfaces out there with preamps that rival the quality of the Axe FX II?

if you're using XLR cables, just be sure your settings are correct on the interface and you're not overdriving the input. i really haven't experienced any interface completely degrading any signal. i'd think they wouldn't release that product if it did.

also be sure that if you're using a stereo output of the axe and 2 cables that the interface channels are panned and not running mono center panned. that can cause phasing issues.

if you're using XLR cables, just be sure your settings are correct on the interface and you're not overdriving the input. i really haven't experienced any interface completely degrading any signal. i'd think they wouldn't release that product if it did.

also be sure that if you're using a stereo output of the axe and 2 cables that the interface channels are panned and not running mono center panned. that can cause phasing issues.

Thanks for your response. I'll circle back around and make sure I'm not overlooking something simple here!

I only record with a single guitar. Assuming I have axefx output settings dialed in, would it make sense to just have Mono out to the scarlett so I don't need two tracks (and two XLR outs from the L/R outputs) for stereo recording?

Thanks for your response. I'll circle back around and make sure I'm not overlooking something simple here!

I only record with a single guitar. Assuming I have axefx output settings dialed in, would it make sense to just have Mono out to the scarlett so I don't need two tracks (and two XLR outs from the L/R outputs) for stereo recording?
a guitar and amp is mono, but effects could be stereo. it's totally up to you and how you record.

Get an interface that has SPDIF inputs. If you run SPDIF out of the Axe to the interface SPDIF in, you're bypassing the interface pre's. Almost any pre will color the sound to some extent. Whether that color is good, bad, or indifferent will depend on your ears and how picky you are when it comes to transparency. Oh...And make sure the interface runs at 48k.

Also, the Axe-Fx's analogue outs are line level, so you don't need to run them through a preamp, just A/D conversion.

Each interface varies, but if you are using an XLR input there is a chance your interface is using the mic preamp even though it is not needed, and that will color and potentially degrade the sound. See if there is a way to bypass the preamp portion and just use the A/D conversion. Sometimes this might mean using 1/4" TRS inputs.

As for a general interface recommendation, I am a big fan of anything by RME. The interfaces themselves have very little color of their own (a good thing, in my opinion). Low noise floor, low distortion, a rock solid clock with minimal jitter, and a reputation of the best drivers in the industry, with one of the lowest latencies in the industry.

My interface is really old (RME Multiface I). I bought it used nearly 10 years ago - and it was already discontinued then - and RME are still supporting it, drivers wise, providing Windows 10 support, amongst other things.

I just downloaded Reaper... and I haven't had the time to figure out if I've done anything wrong.. a good chance I have
I'm using the Axe3 as my interface. When I do a second track, after I arm it... everything sound like I'm in a can.. I dont think I'm getting it while recording the first track... sounds similar when I play it back.. I can play over it, and it sounds similar... just when I arm the second track.
It's a new computer.. should be good enough
i7-9750
12MB cache, 4.5Ghz
1TB SSD
32GB ar 2666Mhz

Hi all!

Your 6i6 has a SPDIF input. Just run a cable from the Axe FX SPDIF out to the 6i6 SPDIF input and you'll get the raw digital signal into your interface without going through its A/D converters.

Audient id22 has spdf and direct returns that bypass the preamps and go straight to the converters. You need an adapter for the spdf that costs about $10

I've used an RME UFX for years with zero issues. Had their Fireface 800 prior. Great interfaces with quality drivers. I highly recommend RME products.

Why can’t you just record USB ? And use the Scarlett as is for your monitors ?

Maybe he uses windows. Then you can use only one driver at a time. Or do you see other ways I didn't think of?

RME has neutral sounding preamps, very good ad/da converters and the best low latency drivers. Maybe the more entry level RME babyface pro is something you want if you want to use the line-in's. Sad thing is that on the babyface spdf is optic . On the axe-fx it is coax. In that case you need an extra converter. An interface with coax spdif would probably be better if you go the spdif route.

Maybe he uses windows. Then you can use only one driver at a time. Or do you see other ways I didn't think of?

RME has neutral sounding preamps, very good ad/da converters and the best low latency drivers. Maybe the more entry level RME babyface pro is something you want if you want to use the line-in's. Sad thing is that on the babyface spdf is optic . On the axe-fx it is coax. In that case you need an extra converter. An interface with coax spdif would probably be better if you go the spdif route.

Correct, I use windows 10 :)

@toneseeker911 let me know if I'm missing something?

EDIT: Actually I've used a separate Mic and Headphones in the record vs Playback settings so maybe it's worth toying around with.

So many options!

Hi all!

Why not use the AXE III on its own, with two xlr outs going to your monitors?
One single knob on the AXE controls the monitors,
everything coming in and going out goes through USB

Why not use the AXE III on its own, with two xlr outs going to your monitors?
One single knob on the AXE controls the monitors,
everything coming in and going out goes through USB

That's what I'm doing currently, but I like the idea of being able to use my studio monitors independently of the Axe FX III, alongside any desktop application that can control the nuances of the interface.

Really depends on budget and how crazy you want to get with things. Upstairs I use a 60 dollar Beringer stereo interface to dial in my pedalboard with my AX8. Its good enough and gets the job done. Downstairs where I spend all my musical time, I just traded a very expensive Antelope interface for another UA very expensive interface. I did have a middle of the road prosumer presonus that got my by for quite some time, the studio 192. So it really depends how close you’re listening and how deep your pockets are.

Back
Top Bottom