Audio interface for IOS device

I haven't heard anything about it being IOS compliant. They would say something on the product page if it was I assume.

Since it’s class compliant, it should work with iOS. That said, some class compliant devices don’t, with iOS complaining that they “draw too much power”, even when they have external power supplies. Sometimes using a camera adapter kit with a power input helps.

What would you use it for, though? Recording in Garage Band? :)

Live stream. Last year, my band did a hack to Facebook live through my iPhone, (and a mountain of other devices, because Facebook live was setup by idiots) and had a live event, where we introduced a new song, because, at the time, it only worked on iPhone. It would have been way easier if my AxeII could have hooked directly into my phone.

Since it’s class compliant, it should work with iOS. That said, some class compliant devices don’t, with iOS complaining that they “draw too much power”, even when they have external power supplies. Sometimes using a camera adapter kit with a power input helps.

Currently use IOS to control my AX8

By having this possibility, I can use my IOS device to do the same and also playback audio files during rehearsals, performances, between sets, etc...

I think you can use garage band, but I'm also pretty sure there are others.

No, Garage Band doesn’t work for that purpose. So far the only program I have found that can import a track with CC envelopes and transmit them is BeatHawk, IIRC, and it’s very cumbersome to use for automation as it’s made for best making.

There’s Cubasis, but it’s ipad only.

No, Garage Band doesn’t work for that purpose. So far the only program I have found that can import a track with CC envelopes and transmit them is BeatHawk, IIRC, and it’s very cumbersome to use for automation as it’s made for best making.

There’s Cubasis, but it’s ipad only.
That's weird, the OSX version does, or at least it used to, cause I used to use it. I use Reaper now, and intend on getting Ableton Live, eventually.

Someone really needs to get on it at Ableton and get a full featured IOS version of live out there. I'd much rather use a tablet than a laptop.

That's weird, the OSX version does, or at least it used to, cause I used to use it. I use Reaper now, and intend on getting Ableton Live, eventually.

iOS version of GB has very little in common with its big brother apart from the name. Obviously, on OS X (or Windows, for that matter), automation is not a problem.

As for using tablets instead of laptops... In my experience, iPad in particular and iOS in general simply aren’t up to the task. Quick and easy beat making? Sure. Remote touch interface for a console? Why not. But full fledged production, mixing, or even managing automation and backing track projects? No way, that’s masochism. The hardware isn’t there, the OS is limited, third party software is absent. And don’t even get me started on file management.

There are iOS versions of some programs, but, like Garage Band, the commonalities with their “real” counterparts don’t go much deeper than name and a few icons.

And you can have a tablet with Ableton right now, just not with Mac OS or iOS. I seriously doubt Ableton will release anything serious for iOS any time soon.

iOS version of GB has very little in common with its big brother apart from the name. Obviously, on OS X (or Windows, for that matter), automation is not a problem.

As for using tablets instead of laptops... In my experience, iPad in particular and iOS in general simply aren’t up to the task. Quick and easy beat making? Sure. Remote touch interface for a console? Why not. But full fledged production, mixing, or even managing automation and backing track projects? No way, that’s masochism. The hardware isn’t there, the OS is limited, third party software is absent. And don’t even get me started on file management.

There are iOS versions of some programs, but, like Garage Band, the commonalities with their “real” counterparts don’t go much deeper than name and a few icons.

And you can have a tablet with Ableton right now, just not with Mac OS or iOS. I seriously doubt Ableton will release anything serious for iOS any time soon.
I used an old iPhone 3 for backing tracks for a couple of years, the only downside being everything was in mono, never had one hiccup, outside of user error, (actually, since switching to a laptop, ive had far more issues,) so I'm pretty sure a modern iPad could easily add on automation, and multi-track output with little or no issues. For backing tracks, there's really no need for any real time track processing, so it's just playback of .wav's with baked in effects. That's what I currently do with my laptop, because it avoids a lot of problems I've had to deal with.

iPads are less powerful/flexible than a computer, iPads are less cumbersome and fit on my mic stand.

iPads are less cumbersome and fit on mic stands, unlike Apple laptops, but that’s not true about all laptops.

I used an old iPhone 3 for backing tracks for a couple of years, the only downside being everything was in mono, never had one hiccup, outside of user error, (actually, since switching to a laptop, ive had far more issues,) so I'm pretty sure a modern iPad could easily add on automation, and multi-track output with little or no issues. For backing tracks, there's really no need for any real time track processing, so it's just playback of .wav's with baked in effects. That's what I currently do with my laptop, because it avoids a lot of problems I've had to deal with.

Well, that depends on how you run your backing tracks and automation. There may be multiple tracks, you may need to warp them to adjust to tempo, and decide to record the whole band on the fly with a push of a button. Or run a Beat Seeker plugin. Since you mentioned Ableton, you know

As for automation as in sending CCs to your gear in sync with your backing track, options on iOS are extremely limited.

Well, that depends on how you run your backing tracks and automation. There may be multiple tracks, you may need to warp them to adjust to tempo, and decide to record the whole band on the fly with a push of a button. Or run a Beat Seeker plugin. Since you mentioned Ableton, you know.
I personally wouldn't need any of those things, we really don't change anything live. We work out any of those bugs at rehearsal, so if we used an iPad, it would mainly be for the stage. I'd use a laptop, (or a desktop) at rehearsal if we were still making adjustments.

The only reason we want Ableton is to reduce the amount of button presses currently required to run our set in Reaper, plus, it makes having different sets way easier, and as a bonus, it gives us the option to extend a solo, or an intro, or whatever, if we decide to do that. Reaper has some great features, and I love recording in it, but it took a lot of hacking to make it work the way I wanted for a live show, and it's still lacking in a few ways for what we want to do live, at least in the long run. I tried a demo version of Ableton, last year, and was pretty amazed at how easy it was to get the results I wanted, unfortunately, the demo had some stuff locked that I needed. Reaper works well enough for now, so it hasn't been a priority to buy it yet.

As far as recording live, if we normally used an iPad, and we decided to record our set, we would probably decide that well ahead of the gig, and bring something a little more dedicated, and powerful to do the job on that night, and just leave out the iPad, that night.

Well, I'm not against iPads, I have a few :)

But I did spend some time trying to use them for live/rehearsals, there are enough quirks and limitations to make them a pain in the butt.

And no, there's no Ableton for iOS, and I doubt there will be one.

Back
Top Bottom