Audio gap when switching presets

cataclysm

Inspired
Hey guys,

I have read a lot on the forum about users experiencing audio drop outs when switching between amp x/y, but has anyone eliminated the gap when switching presets?

I am a little surprised that this is an issue and that people are saying that it is normal as there was definitely NO gap when switching presets on the Axe ultra (with an almost identical block structure). The only difference now is I am running cab sims on and a cab block on each preset to give me the option of double routing, but that's currently bypassed on every preset.

Does talking off the 'hold for x/y' improve the preset switching given that effects change on the down-step of the foot switch rather than the release?

I run my changes from a midi controller and had done this with my ultra with no issues at all, so I am hoping there is an easy fix.

there is a short gap when switching presets. i don't remember the Ultra not having a gap.

Only had my AX8 for a few days now and it's awesome but the switching delay is definitely one of the things that annoys me... I already know there are songs that i play live where this will be a problem..

I don't recall this being an issue with my AxeFX2 or Ultra either...

i notice that the drop out is much less noticeable when i change scenes as opposed to presets.
Yes, and it's definitely when there's X/Y switching involved but unfortunately, for fully flexible switching options it is often necessary...

Eliminating hold for X/Y makes the preset changes seem a little quicker since they change on the down stroke but it's still more gap than I'd like to see. This is my first device I've had where changing presets mid-song was an issue.

There is almost no audible gap on Axe FX II when changing presets/scenes, so we all do hope one day FAS improves the code to the point that on AX8 it becomes unnoticable as well.

For me, the gap (regardless of the switching method) was such an annoying issue when I moved from clean to dirt, that I ended up using purely drive blocks for clean tones in one scene and engaging the "real" amp block for dirt in another. That gives no gaps at all, and I can live with it, but still - I'm impatiently waiting for some major improvement from the product makers.

There is almost no audible gap on Axe FX II when changing presets/scenes, so we all do hope one day FAS improves the code to the point that on AX8 it becomes unnoticable as well.

For me, the gap (regardless of the switching method) was such an annoying issue when I moved from clean to dirt, that I ended up using purely drive blocks for clean tones in one scene and engaging the "real" amp block for dirt in another. That gives no gaps at all, and I can live with it, but still - I'm impatiently waiting for some major improvement from the product makers.

I am doing almost the exact same thing except I'm bypassing the amp and cab and just running a graphic eq to shape my cleans a little. I run nothing but super cleans anyway so it works for me. In order for this type of switching to be literally seemless, you have to run the exact same amp and cab in every scene even when you are bypassing them so that the AX8 doesn't have to switch either of those.

That's obvious - if you put X amp here and Y amp there in another scene, the unit will do X/Y switching = gap. I'm using rather simple setups, X/Ying reverbs, compressors and delays only between dirt and clean. So works like a charm.

I'm waiting for Fremen to release his AX8 versions of his 5 scene presets - if I can see correctly, he's done a grat job with getting as many as possible different sounds from just one amp per preset.

Try scene controllers on the amp. Many amp models can go from clean to dirt just by changing a few settings. Check my dirty Shirley preset in the thread I linked to above.

Thanks. Of course I will check this method one day. Usually I don't have enough time to experiment myself. It happens often that I play rehearsal (2h per week, sometimes when I'm lucky 4h per week) try to tweak my settings on the fly, without much success ;) I go home and next time I unpack my AX8 is the next rehearsal... So I end up with the same sounds swearing "why oh why didn't I dial anything more versatile and useful at home!" :eek:)

One more thing - it's just 2 scenes between you can vary the gain/input trim/master etc... when using scene controllers? Or there could be for example 4 scenes of different gain settings?

is there an easy way to level volumes between scenes when using scene controllers to clean up an amp for a pseudo clean channel? (I've not investigated this yet... just asking.)

Ultra, ii and XL all had gaps. I really struggle to understand why people think this is a simple thing and are like Cliff should just fix it. In other threads guys reference cheaper gear that switch seemlessly. The question in my mind always is so why don't you use the other product. The answer of course is because it is not an Axe, Ax, Fx. They do have the same sound, feel, features ect. Cliff has said many times that there is lots happening very quickly under the hood and it would not sound good if they did not implement an Audio gap

Please don't compare current firmware's Axe Fx II gaps with what is happening on AX8. It's ridiculous. The difference is huge.
I heard it was bad in the past, but now Axe II preset changes are quite acceptable.

Please don't compare current firmware's Axe Fx II gaps with what is happening on AX8. It's ridiculous. The difference is huge.
I heard it was bad in the past, but now Axe II preset changes are quite acceptable.
I don't get a huge difference I switching between the Axe and the Ax. The processors on the two are pretty different. Fas mad many compromises to make sure the sound quality was the same. Some stuff I miss it mic sims and global blocks but the tone is the same so everything else I just suck up

Sigh... The only thing I can say is "lucky you".
I play live. It is what I do. I do hear a audio gap. Everyone hears it but I don't hear a big difference. Unless some guys start doing side by side tests that can measure this stuff (which the Fas guys will usually try to mimic the test to see if they get same results) and it shows a hug different I have to call it plasibo effect. Let's be honest though, guys want seemless. If the tests shows Ax is far worse than Axe guys will say if we can get it at least as fast as Axe I will be happy is but that is not true because there have always been complains about th Axe not being seemless

Back
Top Bottom