"Audio Device Has Been Removed" Axe-Fx III and Logic Pro

Anto

Inspired
Hi,

I use my Axe FXIII directly plugged into my iMac USB port, everything has always worked perfectly, but since firmware 13 (If I remember correctly), Logic disconnect the AxeFX every 5 or 10 minutes, all the time... it says "Audio device has been removed".
I always need to unplug the USB cable and replug it, and sometimes, I have to power off the Axe, then power on it to make it work again.

I have contacted customer support, and they have given to me a beta USB driver file to load on the Axe, but it doesn't have fixed the problem at all.

I don't know what to do, it's very disturbing, I can't record and play peacefully anymore, I always have this problem...

Does someone else have the same issue ?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you to all of you for the quick help, I will try to change my USB cable and the USB port.

Today, with the new USB cable and a new USB port, the problem is here again... I'm very disappointed... any help again ?

I use Logic in 48 Khz setting audio project... I have changed to 44 Khz to see if it can solves this problem... I think it's a Logic Audio issue, because the Axe is recognized in "Audio & MIDi configuration" app and in the "Preferences System" Sound...
At what setting do you use your Daw with the Axe FX as sound card, 44,1 Khz ? or 48 Khz ?
Thank you for the help.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have witnessed several occasions wherein a guitarist or his tech, go nuts trying to figure out if a stompbox or amp was bad only to find out it was the cable. The point is brother Anto, it happens to the best of us including yours truly. ;)

I use Logic in 48 Khz setting audio project... I have changed to 44 Khz to see if it can solves this problem... I think it's a Logic Audio issue, because the Axe is recognized in "Audio & MIDi configuration" app and in the "Preferences System" Sound...
At what setting do you use your Daw with the Axe FX as sound card, 44,1 Khz ? or 48 Khz ?
Thank you for the help.
If using the Axe as an interface, it needs to be 48Khz. If you start a new session in Logic though, it might be defaulting to 44.1. I created a template that I load any time I'm going to record something so it's always set to 48Khz

STEP 1: RECORDING The following tutorial assumes that the Axe-Fx III has been selected as the audio interface in your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), and that you have connected Output 1 L/R to studio monitors, or that you are monitoring through the Axe-Fx III headphones jack. The details for each step below may vary slightly from one DAW to another, but this guide should be easy to adapt to your own environment. 1. In your DAW, select Axe-Fx III as the main audio interface. Set the main outputs to Axe-Fx III Outputs 1+2. 2. Create a new project in the DAW, and set its sample rate to 48kHz. Record or insert any backing tracks.

Thank you for the help.
I'm using 48khz in Logic on Macbook Pro 16" running Catalina to match Axefx3 running fw 14.05 but have noticed Logic can be set to 44.1 and will still work (converts it on the fly I guess). Stumped as to why u have an issue as my setup is very stable. A couple more things to try if i have not already:
  • bypass any usb hubs if any, to confirm a hub is not interfering.
  • unplug any other usb devices to confirm they are not causing issues.
  • remove Axefx usb definition from any defined aggregate devices to make sure those defs are not interfering.
Are you running Big Sur on your Mac? - if yes - this may be a possibility.

Ok, thanks a lot to all of you.
So to answer some post :
  • The USB cable is new, bought yersteday to be sure it wasn’t my other USB cable used, so, it’s not a cable issue.
  • I have made a template in Logic at 48 Khz too, I open always this template when I start Logic.
  • I use Mac OS Big Sur, but the problem started on the previous OS Catalina.
  • I don’t use a USB Hub, the Axe is directly pluged to the USB port of the iMac.

I don’t know what to do, it’s very annoying, I will try to disonnect my Time Machine USB hard drive...

Thank you to all for the help, much appreciated.

Ok, thanks a lot to all of you.
So to answer some post :
  • The USB cable is new, bought yersteday to be sure it wasn’t my other USB cable used, so, it’s not a cable issue.
  • I have made a template in Logic at 48 Khz too, I open always this template when I start Logic.
  • I use Mac OS Big Sur, but the problem started on the previous OS Catalina.
  • I don’t use a USB Hub, the Axe is directly pluged to the USB port of the iMac.

I don’t know what to do, it’s very annoying, I will try to disonnect my Time Machine USB hard drive...

Thank you to all for the help, much appreciated.
This happens to me everytime, no need to open DAW, laptop audio stop working and I think is a laptop issue, not Axe Fx.
Win 10 btw.

So, today, after a lot of informations about Logic Pro on the Web, I've tried something and for now, 3 hours, it seems to work perfectly.

My set up was like this :

Logic Pro in 48 Khz, Axe FX selected as input device, and headphone output of the iMac as an output device.
After a lot of research, I've learned that it's much better to have the same device as input and output source in Logic Pro, so I've chosen the Axe FX as output and input device in Logic, plugin my headphone in the Axe.

Everything is OK until now... maybe having 2 different sources as input and output in Logic Pro make Logic to crash and loose the external input device... I'll see if everything is going to work perfectly and if the problem doesn't occur anymore... I hope it was this.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help.

So, today, after a lot of informations about Logic Pro on the Web, I've tried something and for now, 3 hours, it seems to work perfectly.

My set up was like this :

Logic Pro in 48 Khz, Axe FX selected as input device, and headphone output of the iMac as an output device.
After a lot of research, I've learned that it's much better to have the same device as input and output source in Logic Pro, so I've chosen the Axe FX as output and input device in Logic, plugin my headphone in the Axe.

Everything is OK until now... maybe having 2 different sources as input and output in Logic Pro make Logic to crash and loose the external input device... I'll see if everything is going to work perfectly and if the problem doesn't occur anymore... I hope it was this.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help.
Interesting - not at my computer but I didn't think Logic would let me pick a different In than Out - Anyway - Glad to hear its working so far.👍

Back
Top Bottom