Attention Bass Players!!! Something Wicked This Way Comes...

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Wicked cool that is...

Thanks to the kindness of Cliff and Matt, "soon" bass players will have something to celebrate.

The above clip uses a "mystery" Cab Pack I produced that will be for sale on the Fractal site. Once it goes on sale you will know what Cab or Cabs are featured in the pack.

The cabinet(s) featured will be in Fractal's proprietary Standard & Ultra res 2.0 formats.

All guitar and bass tracks used the mix cabinet ir files that will be available in this pack.

No track or mix processing was done on the tracks in this mix.

The guitar signal chain in the Axe FX 2 was one guitar split to two amp blocks which each fed a separate stereo cab block.

Bass signal chain was a crossover block to split the signal to two amp blocks where one fed a separate stereo cab block, the other fed a mono cab block. The bass preset will be included in the cab pack.

No other reverb, modulation, or eq was done to these tracks other than what was available in the Amp Blocks. Bass was a Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass in the bridge position.

I didn't leave guitarists out with this cab pack as the guitar track also used ir's from this cab pack exclusively. Guitar was an EBMM Axis in the bridge position.

Each track was done in one take, so excuse any sloppiness in my playing.

The drum loop was from Sony Acid Mick Fleetwood Total Drumming.

I have observed complaints about the lack of bass cabinet ir's for sale and that some people felt some existing ones out there are too muddy. I hope bass players will find these cabinet ir files usable for recording and live use.

Can anyone guess what cabinets will be featured in this pack?

Winners will get my guitar amp blk files once the cab pack goes on sale soon!!!

Last edited:
I'm not confirming or denying anything yet, but I am taking notes regarding any cabs mentioned that are currently not in this pack for hopefully future releases (based on sales performance).

I have been a lurker on such threads here as well as on The Gear Page, No Treble, Talk Bass, Gearslutz, guitarampmodeling.com, et al.

I am trying to see what bass players or recording engineers or producers want and deliver on that desire, based on what I can get a hold of at a reasonable rental price or barter for use of the cab for a few hours in the NY/NJ area to shoot ir's of them.

If you live in this area and think your cab would make part of or be a great standalone bass cab pack, please PM me so that we can hopefully work something out in the future.

Can't be worse than what we have now ;). Not thrilled about buying guitar cabs alongside bass cabs, but I'll take what I can get. I still like trying IRs, but I'm pretty content with running presets without any cab block. Will look for these when they come out. Thanks for doing it.

I've honestly been happy with the bass offerings already available, but I won't say no to more!
It would be cool to see the classic SVT 8x10 represented in Ultrares, as well as something by Mesa, GK, or Trace-Elliot.
What I'd really like to see are options- my dad drilled it into my head that some of the best bass tones (at least onstage) came from a combination of multiple cabs.
He always brings two to a gig- usually a 4x10 and either a 2x10 or a 1x15 to compliment the first cab.

A few words I'd like to add before the thread totally derails.

I have nothing to do with amp modeling requests, so those amp modeling requests should be posted in the Wish List thread as everybody usually does.

My cab packs will only be bass cabinets. I have no interest with competing with Matt & Cliff at FAS, Mikko at ML Soundlab, Kevin at Ownhammer, and Andy at The Amp Factory. They all do such an excellent job with differing philosophies of capturing guitar cabinet ir's (I am a happy customer & fan of all of them), I fail to see how my skills could add any value to an already crowded market that includes Rosen Digital and others too.

So I focus on a neglected bass cabinet ir market and try to bring some service to my fellow bass players, as well as any guitarist who has an interest in using bass cabs to shape their guitar sounds. With all the extended range instruments (7 sting & 8 string guitar) and serious lowered pitch alternate tunings going on in certain musical genres, having a variety of bass cabinet ir's to play through can really open up their tonal palette when used in conjunction with their current favorite ir's.

Regarding capturing SVT cabinets, the 4 X 10 is already so well captured by Ownhammer and ML Soundlab, as well as some freebies out on the web or in this forum, in addition to Rosen having a cab pack of the stack for sale, there is little I can contribute when there is a world of other bass cabinets that are either underrepresented in the ir world or not really produced well at all, that I can focus on bringing to all of you.

I never say never about a request from a potential buyer, but I also want to make sure it is actually going to be used by people before I invest the footwork, time, and money in shooting the ir's. When you see how my packs are produced when they are released, you will understand better what I am talking about when talking about the effort I am putting into these cab packs.

Also, please PM me people from NY/NJ with any interesting Bass Cabs that you own that you would like to see appear in a cab pack. If you have friends with such cabs that would be amenable to a rent fee or barter, please PM me and I will give you my real world contact info.

Point taken, so can you please ask Cliff to add a GK800RB? :p
But seriously folks - I'm looking forward to hearing the cabs - Have you got some good mics, and a neve DI?

Thanks again Dr Bonkers
Pauly

Point taken, so can you please ask Cliff to add a GK800RB? :p
But seriously folks - I'm looking forward to hearing the cabs - Have you got some good mics, and a neve DI?

Thanks again Dr Bonkers
Pauly

Hi Pauly,

You will be pleasantly surprised with the mics used. Harrison MR-3 console was used. Countryman DI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Audio_Consoles

If FAS or the beta team found this pack to be remotely substandard, I would have not been able to release it.

To tell you how rigorous my standards are, I did 3 separate sessions at the studio before I felt comfortable releasing the results to the beta team as I figure if you are going to spend hard earned money on something, it better be worth it.

I treat this and all future cab packs as if I was the buyer of them, what I would find of value.

Thanks again,
Dr B

Thanks to the kindness of Cliff and Matt, "soon" bass players will have something to celebrate.

The above clip uses a "mystery" Cab Pack I produced that will be for sale on the Fractal site.

I am less excited. I would rather see such bass things implemented in the Axe fx. Why should bass players pay for the good stuff and guitar players not?

Back
Top Bottom