Attempt 1 at capturing anything.

lexodio

I'll preface this with the fact that this is my first attempt at each of the following simultaneously; recording, mixing, Running an Axe-Fx directly through something other than a stage monitor.

I pulled the guitar-less backing track from guitarbackingtrack.com, loaded the mp3 into Logic Pro 9, and ran my Axe-Fx Ultra into my new Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. I recorded two rhythm guitar tracks panned and I decided to double the solo as well (not quite as widely panned). The guitar tone is not meant to be anything close to the original.

Any help/constructive criticism would be appreciated. Additionally, if you can, enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Nice work. You've got the vibe down, and your tone works well. The overall mix could use a little more low end; it sounds like that was rolled off somewhere along the way. Great first effort.

I thought that might be the case. I don't have proper monitors yet, so I'm running them through a stereo system set on "flat" eq that's probably anything but. I rolled off quite a bit of low end because I was getting a lot of bass frequency "booming" or "pumping" (I don't know if that's the correct term). Would some sort of compressor potentially work better to solve that problem?

I don't think a compressor would help a lot. You need to either get your system flat, or compensate for its hyped bass.

Assuming your stereo's electronics are reasonably flat, it's likely that your speakers are the cause. A lot of consumer speakers hype the midbass frequencies so buyers will say, "Listen to all that bass coming from such a small speaker!" If you're running a subwoofer, try turning it down or turning it off.

Great first attempt at this. I enjoyed it.

I do agree, however, that your guitar tone lacked low end. As the other person replying before me said, whatever you're using to monitor your Axe FX while you build or tweak your patches might be throwing out tons of bass, so to compensate, you're probably building the patch will the low end rolled off somehow. The net result of doing this is that when you hear it in other sound systems, you notice that the low end was taken out of it.

But, I certainly don't mean to nitpick. It sounded really good, otherwise. For someone who's never done direct digital recording before, you did an excellent job. The guitars were mixed well, you did a good job of panning them, and the overall quality sounds good. Adjust more bottom end into your guitar signal and you're on your way. Oh... Good performance, as well.

Last edited:
Adjust more bottom end into your guitar signal and you're on your way.
Not just the guitar; the whole mix is lacking in bottom end. You'll want to fix that before deciding whether the guitar needs additional work in the mix.

If it's like a lot of the other tracks from there it's missing a lot of frequencies due to how they ripped the guitar out of the track. The really good ones are ripped from guitar hero or rockband it seems.

Here's an example of a backing track that I used from there that was based off of some Rockband files. I didn't do any mixing or anything, I just tried to get the levels semi-close and it sits in there pretty good if you ask me (although the lead is too high). I was trying to demo my new Kinman P90's so the point was to hear the pickups.

Here's the link to the original backing track.

Back
Top Bottom