Atomic jitters!

Dano11372

Well i have been browsing this forum for sometime now, and have gained quite a bit of knowledge about the Ax Fx and its capabilities from so many knowledgeable users on this forum. Also just about have enough $ for my next Amplifier purchase, which sounds like the Ultra! Sounds like i want the FRFR setup so i can use the Ultra to its fullest and like it was designed to do. I am a little hesitant to buy the Atomic Reactor FR, simply because im hoping it can move some air and get that thump like a good ol 4x12 cab can. i would love to purchase 2 and go stereo but funds limits this at this time. any other Atomic users out there, your input would be greatly appreciated! :geek:

I own a powered Atomic wedge so maybe I can help you here.

Do the Atomics sound good? Yep. Will they thump and move air like a good 4x12? Nope. Though the speaker in the Atomic is a higher wattage and more efficient type than what you'd typically find in a 4x12, it's simply not going to thump and move the air that 4 speakers would being pushed (presumably) by 100 watts or more of tube power. Yes the Atomic is tube-powered, but I don't think I'm alone in the opinion that it's certainly not among the loudest 50-watt tube amps I've ever heard. For sure, if you sit five feet in front of it and crank it...it will hurt you. But sat next to an angry drummer (which I've yet to do) I have my doubts that it would be sufficient. I think two would get the job done but you're right, that's nearly $2,000 in amplification alone.

I have my frustrations with the Atomic (not that loud, not that tight, squeals randomly), but it really does sound great with the AxeFx. You just have to be reasonable about what to expect. It's only one single speaker, not a big ol' box of four.

Cheers

am in the same boat
thinking about the atomic but would like to see more people
chime in. I have been playing my ultra through my tube amp
sound great but would like to free up my tube amp for
other sounds and it is too much hassle setting it up for the axe
and than switching back without the axe

Dano11372 said:
I like the reccomendation on buying the Passive Atomics and a good ss Power Amp, Any recomendations?

Anything in the Pro audio seen will do, QSC, Crown... Etc. If your looking to keep weight and space to a minimum there are a few choices, Rocktron Velocity 300 (designed more for a guitar cab in mind), ART SLA-2 designed mainly as a studio reference amp, and some new offerings from across the pond, Matrix and Class D from Pro Audio amps both of which have threads on them here. The SLA has been the favorite for quite a wile, probably for the fact that they are easy to get and don't cost a lot but they are challenged with their output connections.

Dano11372 said:
I Wonder how much of a sound difference there would be using a solid state vs tube powered atomic reactors

I had a Rocktron Velocity 300 (the new one) and 2 Atomic passive cabs before I bought my powered Atomic and I can tell you they DID sound different. I did many A/B comparisons. The Rocktron/passive cab setup was louder and a bit stiffer sounding, while the powered Atomic was more lively and "squishy" sounding-if that makes sense? I preferred the powered Atomic. Sold the passive rig.

That being said, I'm not satisfied with the Atomic and am looking to land a Verve 12ma in the future.

What about a pair of passive Atomics and a VHT 2|50|2 or even a 2|90|2?
Anyone tried this?

I'm sure that would sound excellent.

I have the FBT Verve 12ma, and I love it. Absolutely love it.

I just acquired a set of passive Atomics though in a trade, and plan on using them as my rehearsal wedges.
I have an ART SLA2 and plan on powering with that. Waiting for the second one to come in the mail, when it does...I'll post a quick comment on how the passive Atomics with an SLA2 compare to a Verve 12ma.

Im a very new owner of a ultra (laye dec) and new to all this as well but for now I run my ultra through a marshall MF-400 and is powered by a rocktron velocity 300, sounds pretty damn good.. But for ease of convenience and all the good things I have heard about going DI to FOH I bought a passive atomic wedge that I will power with the velocity 300, just got the tracking info today so will let you know how it goes... I'm thinking one wedge may not be enough, I play in a 5 piece metal band and we def play loud haha, but I'm looking to get the most out of the axe and even if the wedges don't work out the way I am hoping for live shows I really don't have much complaint going through my marshall cab.

I play in a rock/metal band myself and run my Axe through a Velocity 300 in stereo into a Mesa Recto cab (stereo cab) and it sounds awesome. It has no problem keeping up either, it is LOUD. 8) Setting up the gain staging properly is important for getting volume without clipping the amp and potentially damaging things.

I've been using the Velocity 300 with a passive Atomic wedge. I t sounds pretty good, and pretty loud. I'm looking for something better and louder.

Considering FBT. the verve 12ma is highly recommended, but i don't know how to demo it next to what i have. They also have a new line called ProMaxx which is lighter and louder.

Ahhhh!!! Anybody check out thse new ProMaxx cabs yet?? Any ideas??

Thanx

I've been using the Velocity 300 with a passive Atomic wedge. I t sounds pretty good, and pretty loud. I'm looking for something better and louder.

Considering FBT. the verve 12ma is highly recommended, but i don't know how to demo it next to what i have. They also have a new line called ProMaxx which is lighter and louder.

Thanx

What do you mean by better? could you be a little more in depth? you said its pretty loud but want something louder? ever thought of adding another atomic passive wedge? the velocity300 (which i also have and my atomic passive wedge should be here tomorrow) should be enough to power two atomic passive wedges right? I am hoping if im not satisified with just one wedge I could just get another :)

Thanx

FYI
The biggest attraction of the FBT Verve 12ma is that it has a coaxial driver so that the treble and bass frequencies all eminate from a single source, just like they do with a real guitar speaker.
So they are easier for guitar players to get accustomed to, compared to a system where the tweeter is offset from the woofer which can sound unnatural if you're close to the cabinet.

The ProMaxx speakers do not use coaxial drivers.
The ProMaxx line of powered speakers also use Class D amplifiers which, generally speaking, have a rep, historically speaking, for harsh sounding top-end.
Not sure what class power amp is used in the Verves though.

I doubt that the ProMaxx line is significantly better sounding than the QSC K series of powered speakers (also Class D) and since QSC is more widely available in most areas it is probably a better choice, especially if the unit ever needs servicing.

I own a powered Atomic wedge so maybe I can help you here.

Do the Atomics sound good? Yep. Will they thump and move air like a good 4x12? Nope. Though the speaker in the Atomic is a higher wattage and more efficient type than what you'd typically find in a 4x12, it's simply not going to thump and move the air that 4 speakers would being pushed (presumably) by 100 watts or more of tube power. Yes the Atomic is tube-powered, but I don't think I'm alone in the opinion that it's certainly not among the loudest 50-watt tube amps I've ever heard. For sure, if you sit five feet in front of it and crank it...it will hurt you. But sat next to an angry drummer (which I've yet to do) I have my doubts that it would be sufficient. I think two would get the job done but you're right, that's nearly $2,000 in amplification alone.

I have my frustrations with the Atomic (not that loud, not that tight, squeals randomly), but it really does sound great with the AxeFx. You just have to be reasonable about what to expect. It's only one single speaker, not a big ol' box of four.

Cheers

+1

I owned two powered Atomics. Sound nice as low volume. But a single will absolutely not hold up if you need real volume.
Two will do, but in that case it's much cheaper to get a single FBT 12ma or QSC K12 (I have both) which are much louder and sound good too.

So If i do need something thats essentialy replacing my cabinet one passive atomic wedge (powered by my velocity 300) will not be sufficient? I already have the power amp to power my cab and am expecting my atomic wedge in tomorrow. I was thinking if its not loud enough I could just purchase another passive atomic wedge, but you seem to think the K12 or 12ma would be a better option for me?
+1

I owned two powered Atomics. Sound nice as low volume. But a single will absolutely not hold up if you need real volume.
Two will do, but in that case it's much cheaper to get a single FBT 12ma or QSC K12 (I have both) which are much louder and sound good too.

The Velocity 300 is rated at 75watts per channel into an 8ohm load.
The Atomic passives are 8ohms/200watts.
If you're planning on using two Atomics in stereo then you might have enough volume and headroom from the Velocity but you will still be under-powering the cabinets.
If you drive the amp into clipping you might even fry the drivers in the cabinet(s) too.

If you run the Velocity in bridged mode for 300 watts into 8ohms through a single Atomic then you should be fine, power-wise and volume/headroom-wise.

But the Axe's power amp sims are designed to sound authentic when amplified by a linear flat response (aka audiophile) amplifier.
I don't believe the Velocity 300 fits that description.
But with the Reactance and the Definition controls at minimum it may well be a fairly linear amp. I don't know.
You may like its sound anyway though.

Most of the problems with lack of headroom and/or bass farting out at loud volumes with the Atomic products has been centred on the powered cabs.
Fifty watts of tube power is simply not enough power for most things you'll want to do with the Axe, IMO.
The passive cabs may or may not exhibit these same problems when driven with a power amp that has enough watts.

If I was going the FRFR route, and it sounds like that is your plan, then I'd want the most linear full-frequency flat response system I could find.
I.e. You want a monitor that sounds as close to a hi-end mixing console with the best studio monitors available so that the sound you get on stage is as close as possible to what is heard FOH. Now most P.A. systems in most venues are not all that hi-end anyway, but they are supposed to approximate a hi-end system. The sound-man on your gigs should only have to do minimal EQ adjustments to your signal to get it sounding just as good out front as it does on stage with your own system.

You'll also want as much clean power as you can afford and are willing to lug around from gig to gig. Keep the power amp distortion to the Axe's power amp sims.
The Atomic cabinets don't really seem to fit that bill to me, from everything I've read and/or heard.
The QSC K series stuff and the FBT Verve 12ma seem to me like the best FRFR solutions for the Axe currently on the market.

The above is all in my opinion.
Others will have other opinions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom