Atomic CLR vs. Bose S1 Pro for Home/Studio?

jamn4jc

Experienced
Anyone used or compared both of these (Atomic CLR and BOSE S1 Pro)?
I am a long-time CLR user, but after 3 bad power-amps and challenges with getting repairs or replacements, I am looking for something else to use in my home/studio setup that I use to dial in the tones and create presets.

Good studio monitors are hard to beat. I have a pair of Focal Alpha 65's and the presets I create using them translate very well to live use.

I agree with the studio monitor approach. Unless there is a need for volume that usually is associated with FRFR speakers, studio monitors seem like they would be the better approach for home/studio use.

Good studio monitors are hard to beat. I have a pair of Focal Alpha 65's and the presets I create using them translate very well to live use.
I agree with the studio monitor approach. Unless there is a need for volume that usually is associated with FRFR speakers, studio monitors seem like they would be the better approach for home/studio use.
Are studio monitors able to handle music playback from a both computer and from my Fractal rig at this same time without getting overwhelmed/muddy?

Are studio monitors able to handle music playback from a both computer and from my Fractal rig at this same time without getting overwhelmed/muddy?
Absolutely. That's how I use my Axe III and FM3, using an Audient ID14 as the audio interface when practicing. I have backing tracks playing from my computer and playing through the Axe III. Works just as well with either Fractal device as the interface too.

Anyone used or compared both of these (Atomic CLR and BOSE S1 Pro)?
I am a long-time CLR user, but after 3 bad power-amps and challenges with getting repairs or replacements, I am looking for something else to use in my home/studio setup that I use to dial in the tones and create presets.
I have both set up for stereo here in the mancave. Clrs are best, but the SL pros are a great portable solution and beat a lot of the monitors I have tried (for guitar), plus more volume. When I gig again (hopefully soon) I will use the Bose for my monitors. Clrs are too big and bulky.

Unless there's a reason that the only other choice is Bose, I'd want to try other options before making a choice. Studio monitors or one of the other dedicated FRFR guitar speakers. My general advice is to try to set a realistic budget before you start shopping so it doesn't spiral out of control.

I own 2 Bose L1, 2 QSC K12, 2 Yamaha NS 10, 4 EVM 12L, and 2 original CLR's. CLR always delivers better for me. Meyers are my next reach, studio monitor, ns10 brutal truth

Last edited:
I love my CLRs, but have been concerned about their viability. After this post, I traded several messages and even a phone call with Tom King. I am very encouraged by the fact that he is still in the forum and cared enough to reach out. Sounds like there are some great things happening with Atomic and for now I have some assurance they will continue to be a player.

I have a set of Yamaha HS-7s and made the connections to have audio from both my computer and FM9 playing simultaneously. It was good, but the CLRs have me spoiled. Even at lower volumes they sound very good. Very full and articulate. I like the separation of music on the studio monitors and Fractal through the CLRs.

The search is over, for now. Hoping to see Atomic rebound do well In the post-COVID times ahead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom