Atomic CLR VS. Atomic reactor

dupere11497

Experienced
I've been wondering how those two compare? I have an Atomic powercab. Those are suppose to be flat response, but they are tube powered and they do color the tone of my axe fx 2. The highs are way too harsh. If I turn the poweramp sim off on the Axe fx, the tone gets warmer, but I can't benefit from the poweramp modeling going this way. So I bought a Matrix GT800fx which is connected to the Atomic input bypassing it's amp section. So I can still use the Atomic cab and neutral speaker. My tone is great this way. Day and night compare to the Atomic power section. The sound is warm and tight. Now, those CLR are powered by a solid state amp section, just like the Matrix. So it should sound simillar to my set-up. Is it the case? Or the CLR thing have a huge impact on the final tone? What speaker is in the CLR? Is it the same that comes with the reactor series? I'd like to hear from you guys who had experience with both cabinets about the difference in tone and feel. Thanks!

The atomic CLR is having incredible reviews, it is supposed to be much better than the older atomics. I may be wrong but I think that it has a custom speaker. I think I can say with great confidence that the speaker is NOT the same that comes with the reactors.

I believe you will get much better sound with the atomic clr than with what you have now.

I've owned both; both of the Reactors and now the CLR.

Totally different technology, approach, materials, design, and execution. The two product lines could not be more different.

The Reactor was created to add tube color and timbre to older earlier generation modeling devices. The CLR is a "what you put in is what you get out" linear monitor.

The two products do not compare to each other; each has a different purpose and both do very different things.

+1 on what Scott said.

I had Reactors and had a hard time with the high end and overdriving the power amp, ended up selling them. CLR are *totally* different beasts, they are absolutely staying.

TT

I've owned both; both of the Reactors and now the CLR.

Totally different technology, approach, materials, design, and execution. The two product lines could not be more different.

The Reactor was created to add tube color and timbre to older earlier generation modeling devices. The CLR is a "what you put in is what you get out" linear monitor.

The two products do not compare to each other; each has a different purpose and both do very different things.

This is somewhat disappointing to hear. When the tube-powered Atomics came out, they were being advertised as a FRFR solution. The tube power section was described as just a way to achieve amplification, not as a substitute for something lacking in the modeling technology at the time, so I question the statement that the intent of the two products are completely different.
If this were the case, I would not have purchased the tube-powered Reactor when it was released.

This is somewhat disappointing to hear. When the tube-powered Atomics came out, they were being advertised as a FRFR solution. The tube power section was described as just a way to achieve amplification, not as a substitute for something lacking in the modeling technology at the time, so I question the statement that the intent of the two products are completely different.
If this were the case, I would not have purchased the tube-powered Reactor when it was released.

Perhaps - but I am not speaking for Atomic. I am speaking of my personal opinion of those products. IMHO, there was never enough headroom with the 18 watt Reactor and I personally thought even the 60 watt Reactor lacked enough headroom for me. I also supplemented the 60 watt reactor with another cab too. I also play a lot of piezo/acoustic through my speakers and never felt the Reactor was up to the task.

The CLR on the other hand... excels beyond my expectations and apprehension given the hype it was receiving in the year before I got my hands (and ears) on one.

If the OP is anything like me, he is looking for a simple statement that says:'Yes the CLR's are 10X better than the old atomics. More open, less boxy and directional etc...' I recognize that the OP has more specific questions as well, but I have also seen similar questions posed in other threads.

I'll preface with my assumption is that everyone seems to be careful not to slam the previous models as, indeed they were designed differently and as such cannot be compared [apples to apples]. I get that, but it can be refreshing to read a brutally honest statement withouth tiptoing around the fear of slighting any manufacturer. I'm sure Atomic would concede that the CLR's are a giant leap forward from their previous line. It doesnt' take away from what they made in the past. It was just an older and inferior product relative to the new.

I am on the waitlist for two active CLR wedges, and when I have had some time with them will post some brief, albeit subjective, observations to compare them with my older atomic wedges. I plan to convey what I've been looking for from others but have not yet seen.

Given some of the recent threads, it seems like "better" is definitely subjective.

I personally think the CLR is the best speaker for the money out there from anybody.

I have 2 Atomic tube-powered monitors and they will get LOUD. Our band has just put a reservation in for a CLR to use as a wedge in the front of the stage facing outwards - we have 2 guitar players using Axe II's, so there is no stage volume, so I am interested in comparing this to the Reactors when it arrives.
My concern at this point is I may be "stuck" with these monitors, given the very good reviews the CLR is receiving.
I like the way they sound, don't get me wrong. And I certainly needed a FRFR system at the time. It does not, however, seem like the Reactors are going to hold much value with the new CLR now in production.
All IMO.

Thanks for your input guys! In fact, I'm looking for a permanent FRFR solution. I want to hear 100% what's comming out of my Axe fx. And I want to benefit from the cabs simulations. So the CLR seems to be the way to go. Thanks again!

Did they drop all of their other products except the CLR series? My only reservation on these is that I want the amp separate from the wedges so I can choose to go into a regular cab if desired.

Hold up there peeps.

Scott is right, the original Reactor series was a series BEFORE THE AXE FX and it was made to "warm up" a POD. It had a plastic mount system that was the shape of whatever modeler you were using.

The 2010 Reactor series was designed as FRFR. No coloring. I own 2 of the wedges and I love them. I use them very frequently and they've been through a lot of load ins/outs in -20 degree weather with 0 issues. Also, I've noticed that what comes out of them is exactly what comes out of the PA in most cases.

I have not tried the CLR and I have very little desire to "upgrade". I am curious, but not $1000 curious.

The 2010 Reactor series was designed as FRFR. No coloring. I own 2 of the wedges and I love them. I use them very frequently and they've been through a lot of load ins/outs in -20 degree weather with 0 issues. Also, I've noticed that what comes out of them is exactly what comes out of the PA in most cases.
This has been the case with my 50w single cab - other than replacing power tubes when some idiot knocked it off the dolly during load out. Yeah, I know... :roll
While it sounds like the CLR's are very different, I have no issues with my Atomic cab.

I have not tried the CLR and I have very little desire to "upgrade". I am curious, but not $1000 curious.

Perhaps with the new IR's and FW coming I'll find that my current atomics sound just fine and save myself a lot of scratch

Hold up there peeps.

Scott is right, the original Reactor series was a series BEFORE THE AXE FX and it was made to "warm up" a POD. It had a plastic mount system that was the shape of whatever modeler you were using.

This. I've got the FRFR Reactor active cab, I'm just waiting for someone in the neighborhood to get a CLR so I can actually hear the differences with my own ears. :) Sure, I could order one and send it back within 15 days to try, but being the lazy bastard I am I find that a bit too much effort. Also, it requires me to have a spare 1000 euros, a luxury I can't afford while trying to save up for a decent summer holiday.

Back
Top Bottom