atomic clr alternative?

Omri

Hi,

Can anybody here recommend me a good frfr monitor to go with the ax8 like the atomic clr but in a smaller footprint?

I'm trying to downgrade my rig and avoid taking amps for gigs..that's why I went for the ax8...

I will mostly rely on FOH and in ears but I need something to use at home and in some occasions on stage.

I know the atomic will be superior to most monitors but I'm looking for something smaller for transporting reasons and I want to compromise less as possible (on sound quality..)

Is the new alto truesonic can consider to be an alternative at all?
(Or others..)

Thanks!

You are not going to find anything smaller than the Matrix FR10 (21 pounds), but the Alto TS210 is 22 pounds... I would look at one of these powered speakers:

Xitone, Matrix, Mission Engineering, and Atomic

You are not going to find anything smaller than the Matrix FR10 (21 pounds), but the Alto TS210 is 22 pounds... I would look at one of these powered speakers:

Xitone, Matrix, Mission Engineering, and Atomic
Thanks!

I will check them out..

Yes, a tough call and limited choices unless you're willing to consider tour-grade options that will cost a boatload of money, but they are designed to be high quality, small footprint. RCF 10" coaxial perhaps? Passive or active? There may be a lot more options for passive cabs.

Perhaps hit up @BBN on this forum. He's got as much experience with stuff like this as anyone. Mabye Xitone can help you out?

This is what makes the CLR so tough to beat. It actually is a pretty small box with sonic tech specs that are only matched by cabinets usually costing quite a bit more $$$.

Thanks for the in depth answer..

It has to be active..(less gear to carry..)

I'll Might just get the clr and raise my fees for using cabs..(as in automobile..)

Perhaps explore the option of in-ear-monitoring at low levels, and carry your preferred sized active monitor to provide non-critical stage volume. Then you can be much less picky about the tone, since this small box is more for stage volume "feel" than anything.

Get one of these Mackie 8" speaker based, 12" cabinet cubes:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DLM8

Will look into that!

Do you think they are better then the alto?

That is subjective, and I'm sure my considerations are much different than yours. There really are a lot of reasonable options, Alto stuff being one of them. The best way is to just try-before-you-buy at a local music store, if possible.

I'd second the trying RCF NX10SMA. As a longtime fan and user of the 12" version, I can attest to the quality construction. Several here have used the 10" version with great success and comment on the smaller footprint. As an option, I just use powered studio monitors at home. you can get a pretty decent pair for what any of the top line coaxial monitors will cost, and use them to reproduce other sources as well. Try the Presonus Eris E8 ($500 a pair, shipped http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE8) or for even more juice, this entire Presonus Scepter setup ($1284 total, shipped http://www.kraftmusic.com/presonus-sceptre-s8-studio-monitor-studio-essentials-bundle.html).

The Presonus speakers sound really good, comparable to much higher priced gear, and reproduce the Axe Fx and AX8 very well.

That is subjective, and I'm sure my considerations are much different than yours. There really are a lot of reasonable options, Alto stuff being one of them. The best way is to just try-before-you-buy at a local music store, if possible.
I hear ya...

Sometimes is not possible specially in England as store don't usually host all options which make A/B difficult..

If the small footprint is your goal (and the CLR is larger than you want), then XiTone 1x12 or RCF NX10. Those would be my go-to.
If you don't want to spend that much, maybe look for a used Yamaha DXR10....those get good reviews on the Pro Audio forums.

Will look into that!

Do you think they are better then the alto?

I have not even seen that little Mackie speaker, but I would be highly suspicious of anything Mackie that was not made in Italy. The quality went way down... For $700, I would first look at the Yamaha DXR10, or a used CLR.

I think the issue with the original TS112A\TS110A Alto speakers, is that everyone gets caught up on the low prices. They are pretty good sounding, but I prefer the EV ZLX a lot more.

If the small footprint is your goal (and the CLR is larger than you want), then XiTone 1x12 or RCF NX10. Those would be my go-to.
If you don't want to spend that much, maybe look for a used Yamaha DXR10....those get good reviews on the Pro Audio forums.
Thank you!

I have not even seen that little Mackie speaker, but I would be highly suspicious of anything Mackie that was not made in Italy. The quality went way down... For $700, I would first look at the Yamaha DXR10, or a used CLR.

I think the issue with the original TS112A\TS110A Alto speakers, is that everyone gets caught up on the low prices. They are pretty good sounding, but I prefer the EV ZLX a lot more.
Thank you!

Will continue my research ...

I'm very happy with the Matrix Q12a. It's not a floor monitor shape, but I use it as backline with an Ampwedge under it to give it some tilt.
Definitely smaller than the CLR, and about the same weight as the CLR Neo.

Back
Top Bottom