Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

Got on the reserve list 8)
Had some questions and got a reply within minutes.
Now, that's service.
I'm really looking forward to trying these!!

Oh? Must have missed that...is there a waiting list for a new (magical?) product?

from their facebook page:

In order to get on the Reserve List for US, UK and EU, please send an email to orders@atomicamps.com with "CLR Reserve List" in the subject. Please include: Full name, address, email, model number and quantity. Atomic can’t assure placement on the list without all requested information. A confirmation email will be sent within 24 hours of receipt.

from their facebook page:

In order to get on the Reserve List for US, UK and EU, please send an email to orders@atomicamps.com with "CLR Reserve List" in the subject. Please include: Full name, address, email, model number and quantity. Atomic can’t assure placement on the list without all requested information. A confirmation email will be sent within 24 hours of receipt.

And Canada.

I unsubscribed from this page a couple months ago. I told myself this speaker would come out when pigs fly. I stand corrected. Pigs fly.

*re-subscribed*

Can't wait for a comparison to the RCF - who knows maybe I'll switch.

Can you use the active one passively too?

I don't think so, I've never seen an active monitor that had this. It would require an additional passive crossover, speaker input jacks and some kind of engineering to prevent people from accidentially applying internal power while the drivers are running on external power. All that for a feature no-one would use much, after all why would you buy the active and then want to power externally? The only use case I can think of is: 1). to A/B compare internal/external poweramps, or 2). handy in case the onboard amp module fails at a gig.

Thank you Tom, you made my Internet! LOL
I guess this applies to other times I've tried to visit a FB page with no success :lol

Specs pdf just posted on Atomic's FB page!:

Performance:

Atomic Amplifiers CLR Series Specs
• Frequency response: 70Hz-18kHz, +/- 2.5 dB
• Maximum continuous SPL - 120 dB
• Maximum peak SPL - 130 dB
• Directivity - 90 degrees H x 90 degrees V, average from 650Hz and up
• Amplifier power (active units) - 500W
• Sensitivity (passive units) - 100dB, 1W @ 1M
• Impedance (passive units) - 8 ohms
• Recommended maximum amplifier size (passive units) - 500W

Dimensions & Weight:

• Active Wedge (ACLR-AW): 17 5/8" x 17 5/8" x 15 3/4", 45lbs
• Active Cab (ACLR-AC): 17 5/8" x 17 5/8" x 13 5/8", 46lbs
• Passive Wedge (ACLR-PW): 17 5/8" x 17 5/8" x 15 3/4", 44lbs
• Passive Cab (ACLR-PC): 17 5/8" x 17 5/8" x 13 5/8", 45lbs

The perfectly square front look is great IMO.
A little on the heavy side but manageable.
This is going to be fun :)

I don't think so, I've never seen an active monitor that had this.
I found it a logical question since they did it on the "Fratomics" I have...
Is that not an active monitor?

It would require an additional passive crossover, speaker input jacks and some kind of engineering to prevent people from accidentially applying internal power while the drivers are running on external power. All that for a feature no-one would use much, after all why would you buy the active and then want to power externally? The only use case I can think of is: 1). to A/B compare internal/external poweramps, or 2). handy in case the onboard amp module fails at a gig.
On the Fratomic, the difference in sound (active or passive w Matrix) is significant and interesting to have. Probably much less difference with a CLR.

But indeed, for me a good feeling to have a backup solution in case Power Amp or Matrix goes south.
So I find it a real shame and it would oblige me to make a choice that I would rather not.
Would like the active, believing it may sound best, but would have to go for the safer choice with the passive...
(well, if I was a demanding and touring musician ;) )

But I also understand it may not be common, but it seemed a good habit they had started with the Fratomic.

I found it a logical question since they did it on the "Fratomics" I have...
Is that not an active monitor?

On the Fratomic, the difference in sound (active or passive w Matrix) is significant and interesting to have. Probably much less difference with a CLR.

But indeed, for me a good feeling to have a backup solution in case Power Amp or Matrix goes south.
So I find it a real shame and it would oblige me to make a choice that I would rather not.
Would like the active, believing it may sound best, but would have to go for the safer choice with the passive...
(well, if I was a demanding and touring musician ;) )

But I also understand it may not be common, but it seemed a good habit they had started with the Fratomic.
Hi vAmp,

I agree that your question was, indeed, logical. I always thought the Reactor Series feature to be able to use an external amp was cool. The CLR Series actives don't have a passive crossover, so the feature was not an option for this product.

The good news is that the CLR active modules offer some other cool features like dual inputs that have independent level controls, 3 presets that can provide optimized eq based on the orientation and position of the monitors, a "sub" switch if you'd like to add a sub woofer and a link to pass dry signal to another device. These features along with the fact the the active electronics are tightly integrated with the loudspeaker design, lightweight, require no additional rack space and present an excellent value are what make the active versions my personal choice.

-TK

Last edited:
Hi vAmp,

I agree that your question was, indeed, logical. I always thought the Reactor Series feature to be able to use an external amp was cool. The CLR Series actives don't have a passive crossover, so the feature was not an option for this product.

The good news is that the CLR active modules offer some other cool features like dual inputs that have independent level controls, 3 presets that can provide optimized eq based on the orientation and position of the monitors, a "sub" switch if you'd like to add a sub woofer and a link to pass dry signal to another device. These features along with the fact the the active electronics are tightly integrated with the loudspeaker design, lightweight, require no additional rack space and present an excellent value are what make the active versions my personal choice.

-TK
Thanks for getting a product out with features like mini mixer and eq switches. What exactly is the "dry signal"? Is this signal a sum of two inputs minus the level controls and eq preset?

Thanks for getting a product out with features like mini mixer and eq switches. What exactly is the "dry signal"? Is this signal a sum of two inputs minus the level controls and eq preset?
Hi solo-act, the "Link" output is a pre eq, buffered pass through that takes signal from the analog front end. There is a switch that let's you choose it's output from Input 1, Input 2 or a Mix. The level controls only come into play in "X" or Mix mode otherwise it sends through unity gain from the selected channel.

-TK

Back
Top Bottom