Atomic 50/50 vs. MATRIX GT800FX

For me, it was plug and play man! FIERCE! I was waiting for availability of the GT from Tone merchants to A/B, but I'm happy with what I got (except no Axe II) I'm done for now.
We need to get together so you can check out the AxeII with Carvin F1200 and so I can check out your Atomic 50/50 with FRFR cabs... :D

After watching a bit of both videos... here is my take via the YT video (whatever that's worth)...

Atomic 50/50: Smoother overall... needs a more low end "omph"... couldn't really hear that presence "sizzle," maybe he had it dialed out (set to zero)?
Matrix: Low end galore... maybe too much... needed some more high end sizzle, it sounded a bit "honky"...

Don't know if it's because of the power amps or because of Mark's picking style but the "pick pluck" was very pronounced on the Matrix to the point where I didn't want to hear any more of that clip and the Atomic had some of the "pick pluck" but it wasn't as pronounced... specifically during the high gain clips.

Damn, I want to hear how these two compare to the Carvin F1200! Arg!!! Anyone want to send me $1500 so I can demo all three units together? ;) :D

Mark certainly did a good job of recording two videos with very similar content and setup apart from the power amps. What we don't know is whether the position of the mics remained the same and if the blend of the close mic and room mic are the same. If those things are even a little bit different, it could account for some of the differences you can hear.

To me, either amp sounds really good. The weight of the Matrix sounds spectacular!

I asked Mark earlier this week. He replied everything was the exact same. If I understood him correctly he even used the same audio track for both video's. The only difference was the power amp.

I just want a solution that is going to give me the "girth" and presence "sizzle" that I've heard from several tube amps...

Who knows what will happen when my name comes up on the wait-list.

I think I'd rather have the Atomic over the Matrix. I'm not convinced its gonna sound better than tubes and size/weight is not an issue for me.

I asked Mark earlier this week. He replied everything was the exact same. If I understood him correctly he even used the same audio track for both video's. The only difference was the power amp.

I wonder where the Atomic's presence knob was set? Can definitely hear more presence and air in the Atomic clip.

Anyway, A/B comparison with all settings being equal is useful, but the real question is can the preset be successfully tweaked to compensate and make them both sound identical? I'm guessing the Matrix clip would have sounded much closer to the Atomic after a few simple nudges of the Axe amp block.. bump the presence and cut the bass a touch.

I wonder where the Atomic's presence knob was set? Can definitely hear more presence and air in the Atomic clip.

Anyway, A/B comparison with all settings being equal is useful, but the real question is can the preset be successfully tweaked to compensate and make them both sound identical? I'm guessing the Matrix clip would have sounded much closer to the Atomic after a few simple nudges of the Axe amp block.. bump the presence and cut the bass a touch.

I'm betting that it can. Forum member, Claxor, and I demoed a VHT 2/90/2 vs. a Matrix in the
same room. We were able to tweak the EQ settings at the Axe to the point that neither of us
could hear any difference between the two. The 2/90/2 we used was loaded with top quality US and British NOS tubes, as well. It sounded as good as any tube power amp I've every heard (Forum member Iggy Pop owns it now), and the Matrix was able to equal it.

Last edited:
I own the Matrix GT800FX. Today I also received the Atomic Reactor 50/50 for a trial period.

I connected one channel of both amps, set the output to Copy L>R, and played for about a hour. I'm using an Axe-Fx II, and two 1x12 cabs with an EVM 12L in each. Here are my early conclusions.

SIZE and WEIGHT
The Atomic is larger (2U vs. 1U) and much heavier. I have no problems with it (combined with the Axe-Fx II in a 4U case), but if weight is an issue, the Matrix's clearly is the better choice.

NOISE
With both channels at maximum volume the Matrix generates some hiss. The Atomic does too although less so.
The fans in the Atomic are much more quiet than the Matrix, you can hardly hear them.

MAINTENANCE
You can't go wrong with the Matrix. As a solid state amp it needs no maintenance.
As where the Atomic will need tubes replaced in time (the front panel bias point is very handy though), which will cost you money. Also, it needs to warm up each time you switch it on and there always the risk of switching it on without a load resulting in damage.

LOUDNESS
The Matrix is a loud amp. I don't think I'll run out of headroom soon when using both channels and 2 12" speakers.
That being said, the Atomic is louder, really much louder. I maxed the level on both and used the Axe's output pot for volume control. I had to turn down the Axe's volume each time I switched from the Matrix to the Atomic in order to prevent ruining my ears.
The Atomic generates (non-controlled) feedback earlier than the Matrix, probably because of its overall Presence (see below). Luckily not nearly as bad as my Reactor powered cabs did when using single-coils....

CONFIGURATION
The Matrix has mono (parallel), stereo and bridged modes.
The Atomic has two separate channels, which cannot be bridged, but you can use them simultaneously of course.
With the Axe-Fx these differences don't really make a difference.
The Atomic also has 4 speaker outputs (Matrix: 2) and other handy stuff: ground lift switches, impedance switches, and Throughs for the inputs.

PRICE
Here in Europe the Matrix is substantially cheaper than the Atomic.

TONE
Well, finally: tone.
First, I've enjoyed the Matrix a lot since getting it. The switch from FR to power amp+guitar cabs (loaded with EVM 12Ls) restored punch and simplicity in my setup. There's no urgent reason for me to change that. And the Matrix gets raving reviews from a lot of other players too. I will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone seeking an affordable, very portable solution.
Compared one on one, I like the Atomic's tone even better. Where the Matrix is quite flat, I feel that notes jump out of the Atomic more, it's 3D, it has dynamics. The Matrix is a bit gritty (can't think of a better word), while the notes from the Atomic are more round and natural.
There's also quite a big difference in the Presence / mid-highs area. The Atomic is more clear and transparant, has much more top end. Note that I kept its Presence control fully CCW all the time (which is "flat" acc. to the manual). And this (top end) makes a difference. For example I have an Uberschall preset that sounds a bit "hollow" through the Matrix and needs additional eq-ing to cut. It immediately sounded better and clearer through the Atomic, without eq-ing. The Atomic adds body (not bass) to the tone.
OTOH, the low end on the Matrix seems tighter. I think that presets need to be set up properly to prevent bass notes from getting flubby through the Atomic.

That's it for now. IMHO both amps are great and winners. It just depends on your needs, requirements and budget.

I may add stuff to this review, or edit it for improvements/clarifications, if I discover new stuff. I won't do recordings or videos.

Last edited:
TONE
Well, there we finally are: tone.
First, I've enjoyed the Matrix a lot since getting it. The switch from FR to power amp+guitar cabs (loaded with EVM 12Ls) restored punch and simplicity in my setup. There's no urgent reason for me to change that. And the Matrix gets raving reviews from a lot of other players too. I will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone seeking an affordable, very portable solution.
Compared one on one, I like the Atomic's tone even better. Where the Matrix is quite flat, I feel that notes jump out of the Atomic more, it's 3D, it has dynamics. The Matrix is a bit gritty (can't think of a better word), while the notes from the Atomic are more round and natural.
There's also quite a big difference in the Presence / mid-highs area. The Atomic is more clear and transparant, has much more top end. Note that I kept its Presence control fully CCW all the time (which is "flat" acc. to the manual). And this makes a difference. For example I have an Uberschall preset that sounds a bit "hollow" through the Matrix and needs additional eq-ing to cut. It immediately sounded better and clearer through the Atomic, without eq-ing. The Atomic adds body (not bass) to the tone.
OTOH, the low end on the Matrix seems tighter. I think that presets need to be set up properly to prevent bass notes from getting flubby through the Atomic.

That's it for now. IMHO both amps are great and winners. It just depends on your needs, requirements and budget.

I may add stuff to this review, or edit it for improvements/clarifications, if I discover new stuff. I won't do recordings or videos.

Great Review Yek. I don't have a Matrix to compare with myself but your Atomics points are very good.
We tried different cabs but I kept leaning back toward the Atomic FR's and the other guy testing with me liked the Genz Benz 212's (for their darker tone - he likey the dark metal)

Well reasoned and pertinant as always Yek. Im obviously a gear slut as I have had my interest peaked with the Atomic - and your review has just hightened it. that said the only reason why I initially got my GT800 (well XT800 as it was) was the weight. At 44 with back and knee problems that was a BIG plus for me.

Id like to see what your feelings are with some tweeks - mainly because what your describing seems to be exactly what I was hearing when comparing the Matrix to my old VHT 2:50:2, including the volume thing (though only on the -10db input setting - which actually overdrives the VHT without actually hearing it. on the 0db input the Matrix was louder). Its well documented that (for me) when comparing the VHT to the Matrix the VHT sounded better, but after some global EQ tweeks (raising those high mids/prescence frequencies you talk about and a slight cut in the lower mids) and some advanced tweeks (more sag/damp etc to compensate for lack of valves) the two were much closer.

Ultimately the Atomic is still heavy - though lighter than the VHT amp. Not sure Id go back to that personally though you never know.

I'd probably end up buying an atomic too at one point , once my rocktron Velocity Valve gets sold. Own the matrix since first badge has gone out , like it but not as much as I loved the tone from the velocity valve. I always liked the idea of having a 4HE rack with contents to blow everything away ;-) ... The velocity is 19 kg and get pretty hot (duh 2x80w valves) , so not ideal to put it in a 4HE with the axe sitting on top of it. So got a 2he skb for the VV , the matrix went into the 4HE , but to be honnest the 2HE has been at home all the time. The reactor is 7 kg less , apparently doesn't get that hot ( correct ?) . If the atomic gives me the same feel as the rocktron i'd be happy to haul the few extra kg's around ...

Raf

@Paul, sorry to hear about those problems! Keep the Matrix I'd say, the 4U rack is small but it is quite heavy.

Yeah, some eq tweaks can get the two closer together, but I doubt that they can be matched entirely. But I'm not a tweaking/ eq wizard. Actually, I'm quite bad at it. I always lose my "reference tone" and end up somewhere very far from where I want to be in tone heaven. ;)

If I understood correctly - please correct me if I'm wrong - the eq tweaks you've been advising for the Matrix are primarily targeted at adjusting presets that were made on the tube power amps / VHT after switching to the Matrix . That's something else than recreating the tone of a tube power amp I think?

@ Guitardojo, thanks! I still have a QSC K12 too, although the bass player now uses it.... I returned to real cabs because I grew a little tired of dealing with the broad freq. stuff, and as I wrote, I love the punch and simplicity of a real cab. Jay always says it's fictional, but maybe I'm too. :)

Let me add here a few things to the review:

- There's something with the paint on the Atomic. It smears easily.
- The Presence controls for both channels are great, but they make (amplified) noise when adjusting them. Maybe Cliff can solve that in a firmware update? :)
- I'd have liked LEDs for the Standby switches.

Back
Top Bottom