Atomic 50/50 vs. MATRIX GT800FX

Aceshighhhh

Inspired
I finally got my hands on a delicious Axe-Fx II but am now in need of a power amp to play through my cab. Both the Atomic 50/50 and the MATRIX GT800FX look very appealing but alas I am not very educated when it comes to power amps. What are the differences between the two and which would be the best choice for an Axe-Fx II?

Yes. The Matrix is a Solid State.
The 1u rack space, 3.7kg, power and sound quality/clarity makes the Matrix very attractive.
However i would still love to hear an A/B between these 2.

Isn't the MATRIX also solid state?

The Matrix IS solid state as has been mentioned. The Atomic is a stereo tube power amp.

Primary differences are power, weight, size and cost of maintenece and purchasing price. The Matrix is ahead in all these, so basically it comes down to sound and as has been said, the Matrix has gone toe to toe with the popular tube amps and held its ground well. The Atomic is advertised as flat as is the Matrix so will be somewhat nearer in terms of sound (in theory) than the other non-neutral power amps. If they sound similar then the other benefits the Matrix has outweigh the Atomic.

The Matrix IS solid state as has been mentioned. The Atomic is a stereo tube power amp.

Primary differences are power, weight, size and cost of maintenece and purchasing price. The Matrix is ahead in all these, so basically it comes down to sound and as has been said, the Matrix has gone toe to toe with the popular tube amps and held its ground well. The Atomic is advertised as flat as is the Matrix so will be somewhat nearer in terms of sound (in theory) than the other non-neutral power amps. If they sound similar then the other benefits the Matrix has outweigh the Atomic.

100 watts of tube power is much louder than most of these 500-800 watt SS amps. It seems that amp manufacturers play games with the numbers, especially with SS amps. I had a 1000 watt SS Crown for a week, which seemed like 20 watts next to my 100 watt tube amp. Best to do a comparison before buying.

IF I had the cash I would probably go Matrix just because it's 1U, no tubes required, and it's light compared to the Atomic 50/50. But the Atomic 50/50 does seem like a viable option in it's own right for sure, less than a used VHT or Fryette.

I haven't tried the Matrix quite yet, but I have never really got on with a SS PA, and I have tried most of the heavy hitters around here. Various tube amps I have tried have been just so much better with the Axe IMO. The best so far being the Atomic MB-50. Today I receive the 50/50 and I can't wait. I never really understood the whole "weight" argument. If the thought of lifting a 26 lb amp scares you, maybe you should start hitting the gym, lol. I never have to lug my gear a far enough distance for me to care about weight at all. Ultimately tone rules the day. Just my opinion.

I never really understood the whole "weight" argument. If the thought of lifting a 26 lb amp scares you, maybe you should start hitting the gym, lol. I never have to lug my gear a far enough distance for me to care about weight at all. Ultimately tone rules the day. Just my opinion.
Not a gym but surgery! One false move from a sciatica sufferer and I'm telling you, weight matters! :)

Reactions: jon
The Matrix is ahead in all these, so basically it comes down to sound and as has been said, the Matrix has gone toe to toe with the popular tube amps and held its ground well. The Atomic is advertised as flat as is the Matrix so will be somewhat nearer in terms of sound (in theory) than the other non-neutral power amps. If they sound similar then the other benefits the Matrix has outweigh the Atomic.
Based on what? Theory? Maybe....
Apples and Oranges man.......

For What it is worth, I am running the Matrix with the AXEFXII. It is a GREAT combination. My patches have never sounded better.

Just a side note, most SS amps, when driven hard (as in trying to keep up with a tube amp), will get very hot inside (most 1U don't have fans), which can eventually take it's toll on the internal components. Not putting them down, just information. If you don't believe me, touch one that's been driven hard for a while.

Just a side note, most SS amps, when driven hard (as in trying to keep up with a tube amp), will get very hot inside (most 1U don't have fans), which can eventually take it's toll on the internal components. Not putting them down, just information. If you don't believe me, touch one that's been driven hard for a while.

Lucky for us then the MATRIX has a cooling system :D

This doesn't have to be a vs thread at all..it will only end up one way if people start declaring a "winner"

Try out both if you can and be happy with what works best and sounds right for you..benefits and drawbacks will be apparent in any product comparison.

Each to their own. :)

Last edited:
i agree mark, i dont there is an over all winner. just preference. i got back with the band the other day and just decided that i preferred playing through a valve power stage and traditional guitar cab, FRFR to FoH. and i feel really happy about it. dont mind that i will have to replace my valves when they tire or lift with my legs ;-). as long as you get that tone thats in your head then does it matter?

This doesn't have to be a vs thread at all..it will only end up one way if people start declaring a "winner"

Try out both if you can and be happy with what works best and sounds right for you..benefits and drawbacks will be apparent in any product comparison.

Each to there own. :)

So true, funny how some "information only" statements can perpetuate that. The title "Atomic 50/50 vs. MATRIX GT800FX" doesn't help either. Neither amp would be a "bad" choice, just different animals.

Has anyone had a chance to A/B these? I am also on the fence on which to use with my Ultra. I have decided to go with the Atomic Wedges now if I could just figure out which amp to go with.

I never had the chance to test the Atomic 50/50 but I used all sorts of tube power amps and the ART-SLA2.
I cannot even think of a better amp than the Matrix!
In combination with the Axe-Fx this is my personal holy grail!
The space, the weight, the sound - my never ending search did come to an end!

I haven't tried the Matrix quite yet, but I have never really got on with a SS PA, and I have tried most of the heavy hitters around here. Various tube amps I have tried have been just so much better with the Axe IMO. The best so far being the Atomic MB-50. Today I receive the 50/50 and I can't wait. I never really understood the whole "weight" argument. If the thought of lifting a 26 lb amp scares you, maybe you should start hitting the gym, lol. I never have to lug my gear a far enough distance for me to care about weight at all. Ultimately tone rules the day. Just my opinion.

Not a gym but surgery! One false move from a sciatica sufferer and I'm telling you, weight matters! :)

I almost NEVER gig with heavy amps and cabs anymore....and it's cuz of reasons like this.

I've also played some weddings, where every single time, I've had to park waaaaaay far back (yea, they were BIG weddings lol) and have had to carry gear not only a long way TO the reception, but up MULTIPLE flights of stairs, thru busy kitchens/caterer areas, up stage areas that needed more gymnastics than anything else to get to....and I'm telling you, weight MATTERS!!! :/

You can be the biggest gym buff around - lug around a vox ac30 up just ONE flight of stairs....just ONE, and I can guarantee you'll be in the market for an axe fx or small rack poweramp after.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom