Atomic 50/50 Stereo Tube Power Amp VIDEO

Lizzy, QR and some more greats to demo this one. Awesome tone as always Mark. Thumbs up!

Ok ..... now you're using V30s in a CAE cab .... just to mess with my brain I reckon!

Maybe - just like me - you couldn't be bothered dragging gear up stairs - but do you still have your Atomic cabs and would you be using them in a live situation?

On the other hand .... if you prefer gigging with conventional cabs and speakers, is there a lot of output 1 EQ tweaking (Global or in chain) needed to send a similar tone direct to FOH or does a V30 IR cover that?

Or .... on yet another hand :? ?? ... is there a happy medium somewhere? ... anywhere? ... please God before I turn to drink and drugs ....

I've now convinced myself that FRFR cabs are not my chosen road - I'm on the verge of getting a pair of EVM12Ls and am hoping I'll get a workable hopefully practically tweakless solution for backline/FOH with them .... Smilefan advocates open back Pine cabs for them ..... which are probably easy and cheap to find in the much pine forested US and Canada .... but over here cabinet makers seem loathe to use it or just can't get the quality wood. I'm going to let a local small carpentry firm build me one

Well ..... I suppose my old maiden aunt might not even notice her antique Victorian Pine table missing ... dreadful the way burglary on our elder community increases in hard times.

Sorry for wandering a bit off topic ..... the Atomic 50/50 sounds good .... I'm going to try my Mesa 50/50 with EVs first and if theres too much colourisation then I'm going to go Matrix .... less weight and no re-tubing seems good enough reason to me.

Ok ..... now you're using V30s in a CAE cab .... just to mess with my brain I reckon!

Maybe - just like me - you couldn't be bothered dragging gear up stairs - but do you still have your Atomic cabs and would you be using them in a live situation?

On the other hand .... if you prefer gigging with conventional cabs and speakers, is there a lot of output 1 EQ tweaking (Global or in chain) needed to send a similar tone direct to FOH or does a V30 IR cover that?

Or .... on yet another hand :? ?? ... is there a happy medium somewhere? ... anywhere? ... please God before I turn to drink and drugs ....

I've now convinced myself that FRFR cabs are not my chosen road - I'm on the verge of getting a pair of EVM12Ls and am hoping I'll get a workable hopefully practically tweakless solution for backline/FOH with them .... Smilefan advocates open back Pine cabs for them ..... which are probably easy and cheap to find in the much pine forested US and Canada .... but over here cabinet makers seem loathe to use it or just can't get the quality wood. I'm going to let a local small carpentry firm build me one

Well ..... I suppose my old maiden aunt might not even notice her antique Victorian Pine table missing ... dreadful the way burglary on our elder community increases in hard times.

Sorry for wandering a bit off topic ..... the Atomic 50/50 sounds good .... I'm going to try my Mesa 50/50 with EVs first and if theres too much colourisation then I'm going to go Matrix .... less weight and no re-tubing seems good enough reason to me.

I like to use conventional guitar cabs. I also like to run a wedge with the regular guitar cabs live. I always use OUT 1 to go to the PA and monitors and use OUT to go to my guitar cabs and power amp. That way I can use the globals to do quick tweaks. Some times your playing through a 5K watt FOH and sometimes it's 50K FOH. So the globals are an easy way to fix that. Sometimes I used 2x12's and sometimes two 4x12"s. Again the Globals are an easy way to take care of the differences quickly.

Mark

Last edited:
Damn...
If that's how it sounds compressed into youtube format I cant imagine how good it sounds live.
Amazing clean + heavy tones alike.
Really really good - thanks again for another cool vid !

It slays my ART SLA2 completely.

Mark, could you please elaborate on 'slays' for us SLA2 owners? :) Does it just sound better instantly? No special tweaking?

I have yet to try all the amps you mention myself, but (like others I'm sure) I have trouble understanding why I'd want any physical tubes in my power amp, especially in light of G2 and VVT:

G2 Amp Modeling Technology™

All this new power is put to use in G2 Amp Modeling Technology™, comprised of major breakthroughs in both preamp and power amp modeling. In the virtual preamp, new Virtual Vacuum Tube™ technology creates a dynamic model of a vacuum tube for a level of realism, complexity and response that other products can't match. G2 also models the entire power amp including the tubes, transformers, choke, filter caps and more. The results are amazing: warm, yet tight bass, powerful midrange and silky highs.

Mark, could you please elaborate on 'slays' for us SLA2 owners? :) Does it just sound better instantly? No special tweaking?

I have yet to try all the amps you mention myself, but (like others I'm sure) I have trouble understanding why I'd want any physical tubes in my power amp, especially in light of G2 and VVT:

I have had headroom issues with the SLA2 in live situations. It simply wasn't loud enough. I am used to a tube power amp, so it was the SLA2 that I had to do the tweaking for :)
I stated from the get go that the SLA2 was my choice because it was inexpensive, single rack space and fairly light and with enough tweaking I could get it into Mesa 2:100 like territory. My favorite amp with the Ultra was a Mesa 2:100, but didn't want to spend the $2000.00 cdn for it.

I prefer the way the Atomic sounds compared to the ART, and I prefer the additional headroom the Atomic offers me. I tweak everything :)

Many high end stereo systems still use tube amps for power :)

Mark

Thanks Mark.

One side of the SLA2 into one cab has been plenty headroom for my gigs so I guess you are way louder AND way more talented than me. At least I'm better looking... Wait.. shit you win there too... :)

As for tone, I'm all for using whatever sounds best regardless of tubes or marketing speak. I'd love to try the Atomic.

I have had headroom issues with the SLA2 in live situations. It simply wasn't loud enough. I am used to a tube power amp, so it was the SLA2 that I had to do the tweaking for :)

Mark

Another cool vid... Just out of curiosity was the amp bridged when you had this issue or were you running it in stereo?

Mark,
I don't think you mentioned what the presence and volume knobs settings were for the recording?
*I wished mine would get here!*

Mark,
I don't think you mentioned what the presence and volume knobs settings were for the recording?
*I wished mine would get here!*

Presence off (Tom says that is neutral). I think I had the volume at about 10:00

Mark

Back
Top Bottom