Asking for your TRUTH

Nope, triggered mesh heads and triggered cymbals - no more clanky old biscuit tins and dustbin lids etc!

5 years ago the drummer in my band started doing this. But he was self conscious about using an electronic kit . I kept reassuring him that real men DO play electronic kits, :lol and that this was the future.
I'm glad the idea is taking off so he won't feel like a wimp !

5 years ago the drummer in my band started doing this. But he was self conscious about using an electronic kit . I kept reassuring him that real men DO play electronic kits, :lol and that this was the future.

The top of the line Electronic Kits these days very cool. Take the Roland V-Drums TD-30VK for example. very very cool, and IMO is to drums what an Axe FX is to Amps.

The thing is, as you can see from the piccy, they don't need to 'look' electronic. I'm not even the drummer, but am conscious that the appearance is a big part of it - not quite the same as faking a Marshall stack of course, but yeah, a part all the same

As the Axe itself proves, digital recreations are now so good, that we'd need a ton of mics, processing and extra time to achieve the same results. Four of us set up that whole sound and lighting rig in an hour and because it's all digital and housed in one pre-wired rack, there's no need to sound check either! Testing, one, two... boom, boom, boom, boom... crack, crack, crack, clank!
laughing.gif

+1. Even with the lower priced 2box Drumit5-Set, which was even better than the Roland TDx-20, it was possible to create dynamic and a tone, where you would have to pay thousands of dollars to get that, - whether in Studio or in live action... The TD-30 or the new Yamaha's bring that even to a higher level...

Very cool. Stage volume can really complicate a live mix. And I totally get it...except for one thing. With zero stage volume, how do you get sustain and feedback?

I can get feedback with certain amps at 97db thru the mains. I'd imagine metallica is a a little bit louder.

There's no reason that sustainer-like technology can't continue to improve, as well. I'm imagining a system where the input to the driver is your processed guitar output, delivered wirelessly. The feedback level could be controlled via a knob or other on-instrument control. You could even use the same wireless signal going to your in-ear monitors.

if you want feedback at low volumes check out the vibesware guitar resonator!
Cool, indeed. But it looks to be too sensitive to position. Fine if you're playing on a stool. But if you're standing, it looks like it would be tricky to maintain a constant effect. I like the idea, though.

Back
Top Bottom