Asking for your TRUTH

Has anyone else noticed...?

This thread was started by a brand-new forum member with zero posts to his name. He complained that the Axe wasn't living up to its reputation, called for us to tell him the "TRUTH," then bowed out. He hasn't been heard from since.

To the OP: come back and show us you're not just trolling.

^^^^. Which is exactly why i life this forum. Please still try to help out and engage in a respectful discussion/debate. Hell, I've even seen people post about the kempler on this forum ang still getting the desired feedback eiyhout turning it into bitchfest. I have been very pleased since I've joined.

Has anyone else noticed...?

This thread was started by a brand-new forum member with zero posts to his name. He complained that the Axe wasn't living up to its reputation, called for us to tell him the "TRUTH," then bowed out. He hasn't been heard from since.

To the OP: come back and show us you're not just trolling.

Don't blame him ...

Few folks on this thread laid it out for him multiple times---

1. If you like the sound and feel of a amp driving a "real" cab and that is what you want -- a powered monitor most likely is not going to work for you.
2. If you go the powered monitor route you are going to get a "Miked" sound that could shock you if you are used to playing amps with real cabs "in-the-room".

Decide what you want?

Pretty simple right?

Well as usual a simple thread turns into a war between the false profits (sorry I meant prophets :lol ) and the folks that want to share their honest experience.

To me the killer line was mixed vs raw .. unbelievable.

So there you go.

I would have run for the hills and tried to rethink what the fu@k I was getting myself into as well..

Last edited:
Don't blame him ...

1. If you like the sound and feel of a amp driving a "real" cab and that is what you want -- a powered monitor most likely is not going to work for you.
2. If you go the powered monitor route you are going to get a "Miked" sound that could shock you if you are used to playing amps with real cabs "in-the-room".

Decide what you want?

Pretty simple right?

Well as usual a simple thread turns into a war between the false profits (sorry I meant prophets :lol ) and the folks that want to share their honest experience.

So there you go.

I would have run for the hills and tried to rethink what the fu@k I was getting myself into as well..

Geez man.
Why do you always have to make it so confrontational.
And with people who are agreeing with you yet.
Makes no sense.
Please try to chill.

The adjustment to not being in front of an amp cab after 30 years of playing that way has been a slow one for me. Recording with the Axe II is great. Practicing with it is uh...not inspiring without headphones. As I am a writer that doesn't work very well as I can't hear myself sing with headphones on to hear the guitar. My complaint is that I now need very expensive powered speaker cabinets to try to get the experience of having an amp in the room. That all said, the Axe II is when recorded indistinguishable to be from a recorded amp...an I have played them all just about and recorded professionally for many years.

tCp90.gif

wow… all this…
and it's only a chat about speakers… lol..

no matter what you guys use, if you're happy with what you hear, surely the job is done.. lmao..

My personal opinion is that no one should ever buy the Axe unless they're prepared to accept the fact that what you get is a miced cab tone, not an in the room with a cab tone. That's always been fine with me. That's what I wanted from the Axe in the first place...the sound I hear on recordings and the sound that I hear when watching a band perform live (these sounds are all miced cab tones).

If I want an in the room sound I go and plug into my 6505. No modeler, regardless of how you run it is going to be able to stand up against a real tube amp for raw, in the room tone. I've tried the Axe through power amps and cabs. Good, but not as good as the real thing.

wow… all this…
and it's only a chat about speakers… lol..

no matter what you guys use, if you're happy with what you hear, surely the job is done.. lmao..

Just be thankful it is not a discussion about guitar strings.:lol

so is that what we are calling these days ... mixed vs raw.

Hilarious :lol

The bullshit just keeps gets deeper.

How about mixed vs real.

The debate is about the in-room experience of a real guitar cab which you cannot get with a powered monitor no matter how much you try and spin it.

Period.

carry on.

I did not claim you can equate 'real guitar cab' "experience" in the room with a powered monitor "experience".

my truth is that the only way that i found to make the axe fx work for me live is to use it for it's effects only into a real 1x12 tube amp. i'm not interested in carrying 2 frfr units around with me on my gigs in nyc and 1 frfr unit isn't loud enough for the situations that i play in.

now, recording is a whole other story. i can basically take my guitar, axe fx, and liquid foot 12+ to any studio and get a great recorded tone without micing up an amp

Reactions: LVC
my truth is that the only way that i found to make the axe fx work for me live is to use it for it's effects only into a real 1x12 tube amp. i'm not interested in carrying 2 frfr units around with me on my gigs in nyc and 1 frfr unit isn't loud enough for the situations that i play in.

now, recording is a whole other story. i can basically take my guitar, axe fx, and liquid foot 12+ to any studio and get a great recorded tone without micing up an amp

I did almost all of my gigs in 2013 with just the AXE-FX. A few with powered FRFR monitors (which I did not like) a good number with with a passive FRFR monitor which I liked, and the balance with real cabs (which I loved).

For 2014 I think I am going to do some gigs with tube combo amps and use the Axe-FX for effects. If I really like it I might switch over and use a LFJR instead of the MFC. It will certainly lighten my load significantly.

Don't blame him ...

Decide what you want?

Pretty simple right?

So there you go.

I'm starting to wonder if you just have too much time on your hands. Opinions welcome. Opinions with an upraised middle finger (featuring scorn for other opinions), not allowed. Please do not continue to be the centerpiece of the argument/discussion.

And what 'someone is getting into' is an advanced piece of equipment that requires a significant amount of effort to pull your individual sound out of it. It can be used this way, but it's not designed for 'I have one sound...that's it' guy. We help all the time on this forum, but we have to accept a few things:

-Conversational tone over an internet chat board is a very touchy thing.
-The recipient MAY NOT want to hear what is being said
-Many cannot filter all the myriad bits of advice in the headlong need for the 'right' choice (which only THEY can decide.)
-EVERYONE'S EARS ARE DIFFERENT.

FWIW, since we have a dearth of return posts from our OP, I think this was logged in a bit of a late night stupor, and has either 1) figured it out on his own, 2) given up and sent it back, or 3) Laughing his @ss off at this foolish thread.

Again, I have never felt the Axe FX was for everyone. It's just not.

Let it go. It's a new year.

R

We just played New Years Eve last night and actually had a bunch of guys on their knees bowing down to my tone. That's all the "Truth" I need. This was long before everyone was wasted. There were a bunch of guitar musicians there, I couldn't even breathe between sets as they all wanted to know what I was using. The real deal sealer though is when a seasoned blues player complimented me, and was in complete shock when he asked where my Amp was hiding.

I don't get your stance that it's not possible to have powered monitors sound like a real cab "In the Room", because I've dialed mine in to sound exactly like a real cab "In the Room," Specifically my vintage Marshall JCM800 4x12 with g12-65's in which I took my own IR's and mixed them to sound EXACT. The only real difference is I am using my CLR's as monitors in front of me as opposed to using a 4x12 cab behind me "cone of deafening" the audience. It is interesting though, I remember being told with conviction that I couldn't sound like a real amp with a modeler not so long ago too..... hmmm.....

I think if people spent more time actually using the gear, instead of trying to get other people to show them / tell them / explain how, it would go a long way as to really understanding what is possible and what is not. Another thing to remember, one person's experience is not the be all end all, so have an open mind.

Last edited:
So tell me what is wrong with the post and why did you single it out?

I think the post recaps the thread perfectly.

And if you had concerns as a mod -- why didn't you simply PM me (which would have been the correct way to voice a concern as a mod to a forum member). I am a reasonable guy and certainly would have listen to your concerns and acted accordingly.

You as a mod singled me out as individual for posting and essentially calling me a vagrant.

Just as FYI -- This has nothing to do with CLR - only a frank discussion of in-room/vs miked (just in case your were sent in as part of the Peterson/Atomic defense team). :lol

In the future my advice to you is to contact a person by PM if you have an issue and not escalate something that is nonexistent with a post that is nothing more than attempt to diminish a forum's member's character..

This is below the standing of someone that has Moderator below his Username.

so lets see how long before you or Peterson delete this post ...

I'm starting to wonder if you just have too much time on your hands. Opinions welcome. Opinions with an upraised middle finger (featuring scorn for other opinions), not allowed. Please do not continue to be the centerpiece of the argument/discussion.

And what 'someone is getting into' is an advanced piece of equipment that requires a significant amount of effort to pull your individual sound out of it. It can be used this way, but it's not designed for 'I have one sound...that's it' guy. We help all the time on this forum, but we have to accept a few things:

-Conversational tone over an internet chat board is a very touchy thing.
-The recipient MAY NOT want to hear what is being said
-Many cannot filter all the myriad bits of advice in the headlong need for the 'right' choice (which only THEY can decide.)
-EVERYONE'S EARS ARE DIFFERENT.

FWIW, since we have a dearth of return posts from our OP, I think this was logged in a bit of a late night stupor, and has either 1) figured it out on his own, 2) given up and sent it back, or 3) Laughing his @ss off at this foolish thread.

Again, I have never felt the Axe FX was for everyone. It's just not.

Let it go. It's a new year.

R

Last edited:
Just as FYI -- This has nothing to do with CLR - only a frank discussion of in-room/vs miked (just in case your were sent in as part of the Peterson/Atomic defense team). :lol

If this was directed at me, I am neither affiliated with either Atomic or Scott nor do I know them, but I thought it needed correcting that you posted something isn't possible, and you posted it as if it was fact, which in my experience, I've had different results which contradict your factual statement. In fact I'd never even heard of Atomic or Scott Peterson before I became a member here and have never even had the opportunity to meet them personally or digitally, well Tom King from Atomic sent me a personal email when I ordered from his company but thats it.

One thing that is certain, I took bought a product (CLR powered wedges) from a company (Atomic), and have had stellar results. 2nd, Scott peterson has made a lot of very helpful posts and videos which I've read/watched and I can at least tell he knows what he's talking about, but again, this is from his perspective and his experiences. I already said it and I'll say it again, one guys story isn't "THE" story.

PS... not really sure what the rest of your rant is about, but I think you should take your own advice and take it to PM's :)

Back
Top Bottom