Arpeggiator Sync Question

adam

Inspired
I'm sure this has been asked/addressed, but I haven't found info specific to my question.

Is it possible to sync the arpeggiator to Ableton, so that whenever you hit a note it will actually be in sync with the DAW? I know the tempo is sync'd, but I'm programming for a client and am thinking that this may not be possible.

Thanks!

Adam

the axe will sync to incoming midi clock, so if you set the sequencer to a division of the global tempo, it will be in time. to ensure that the sequencer starts on the downbeat (remember, midi clock knows nothing about beats or measures) the best thing to do is to attach the envelope controller to the "run" parameter. set the "start" value to about 45, so there's no lag (the sequencer will start when the value reaches 50). this will ensure the sequencer will start at the beginning of it's cycle when the first note or chord is played and then run in time with the incoming clock. hope that helps.

thanks so much, simeon. yeah, i've tried this, but it hasn't been as stable as necessary for this situation. we're running a giant monochord instrument (called a "beam"), and it sustains for a long time, and the arpeggiator drifts every time. i'll play around with it some more.

sometimes drift can occur if the midi clock is nudged by other midi information like program changes, which take priority.

i'm just running a test now with the arpeggiator and the axe being sent midi clock from ableton live. it seems to be pretty solid here

The Axe-Fx syncs tempo, but it's internal rates do not align to MIDI (Song Position Pointer).

There's an easy trick you can can use to get things to stay in sync.

Instead of Envelope, assign an external controller to the Run Switch.
Then, trigger that external controller from a MIDI event in LIVE (or Logic or ProTools or whatever).
I use an external midi hardware controller (button) to enter the CC data, then quantize it in the even manager.
If you just want it to align to the downbeat, make a loop.
At Bar 1 Beat 1 Div 1 Tick 1 enter your CC trigger with a value of 127 (=RUN)
In the last ticks of Bar 4, enter CC trigger with a value of 0 (=STOP)
Loop this and it retriggers on the downbeat every 4 bars.

This works equally well for the internal LFOs for aligned tremolos, etc.

simeon - thanks again. your method works well with a guitar (and i have the power to control when the note is played!), but this needs to be more fail-safe

hey matt! - thanks for this. i used to do something similar for a tremolo/chop sound (probably from your tip years back). I'll try this.

thanks guys!

update: so the CC method works great with a guitar, however, it's not working with the beam instrument. i'm wondering, if we're using AES for input, running into an Ableton External Audio Device, would this have an effect? Does using AES mean that the internal clock isn't syncing up? it's weird, when i pluck the "beam" strings (very large, piano strings), the arp pattern seems to be at a different tempo entirely, whereas when i use guitar, though analog input, it syncs just fine.

aes doesn't carry midi. connect the usb! you can test by changing the clock tempo on the master device and seeing if the axe is following it. hit the tempo button on the front of the axe fx to see the actual tempo readout.

byw - the "beam" - is that related to the "blaster beam" instrument, heard on the original star trek movie soundtrack and on the score for 10 cloverfield lane? i'd love to see a picture of it!

you running the beam into the back of the axe, rather than the front?

just saw your post. i don't know if the aes signal will trigger the envelope detector....never used aes

your best bet would be to use matt's solution, because not only will it keep the arps in sync, but also locked to the beat

you running the beam into the back of the axe, rather than the front?

just saw your post. i don't know if the aes signal will trigger the envelope detector....never used aes

your best bet would be to use matt's solution, because not only will it keep the arps in sync, but also locked to the beat
yeah, matt's solution works with analog in, but not aes.

the "beam" looks awseome, btw!

here's the "blaster beam"

http://www.powerfmsa.com.au/images/BLASTERBEAM.jpg
looks like the same idea. it's a Pythagoras-related instrument. pretty amazing. he uses it on the Dead tours, as well as for other stuff, including the apocolypse now score. i'm running it through a bunch of trippy effects that i'm controlling with CC pedals. i think you've heard some of my guitar sound stuff, so similar approach. previously (and a bit still) they ran it through ableton devices, but the axe-fx takes it to another level.

ah - i think what is happening is the aes is overriding the usb. and it's the usb that's carrying the midi signal to the axe

@Admin M@ - am i correct in that assumption and is there a workaround?

Back
Top Bottom