Ares vs Cygnus - if it was perfect - how can it be better now?

This is exactly where I got with the Kemper, scrolling for eternity whilst second guessing my every move. Went to tubes and it was liberating, then I started to need other sounds and the rabbit hole was revisited.

I think there is a place for both, my view is at the least the JCM800 will be my core rhythm sound where I feel tone is more important. For lead sounds you can get away with a more digitised or artificial sound as lead as generally these are drown in reverb, delay or other digital effects anyway. (talking hard rock here).

You can do with tube amps what you can't do with a digital device, get the feel, bounce and mojo that the sound promotes, but you can do with digital what you can't do with amps or at least not without great investment such as run dual amps into stereo delays then jump to a completely different configuration.

I have learnt that all have a place..

Regarding the "analysis paralysis" that comes with modellers, once I sold my Kemper I very quickly went down the rabbit hole of different amps, effects, loadboxes, IRs etc. I think it's a personality trait not a fault of any device, at least for me as I have a very addictive personality.

Take care
I can totally agree with that.

I have ended up to a spot where I currently use tube amps, digital fx and modelers all in perfect harmony for different purposes. I like the tube amps for their simplicity and great sound when I can play loud, I like the digital fx/modelers for convenience and going direct or playing with headphones. Just so many ways to skin the cat these days.

Back
Top Bottom