Are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 with a tube amp?

How are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 with a tube amp?

• Total voters
In Setup, do you have “copy input 1 to input 2” turned on?
There isn't a setting for that on the current generation units. We can copy Output 1 to Output 2 on the FX3 and FM9, and on the FM3 we can copy Output 1 or Input 1 to Output 2, nothing can copy to Input 2.

You might be able to force Input 1 to feed Input 2 in the grid itself by cabling Input 1 -> Input 2 -> … but there doesn't seem like there'd be any real advantage to doing that.

I don't do this often, but every now and then I'll run my Axe Fx III into the effects return of a Blackstar 10 watt combo with a single KT88 power tube. In this setup, I'll turn off the power amp and cab modelling. I use my exact same presets and just use the Blackstar as a power amp/guitar cab.

Most of the time I use a solid state Matrix power amp + guitar cabs. Sometimes I'll go direct with a FRFR.

I replaced my pedal board with a FX8 when it came out. I'm now using a FM9 for all effects.

Guitar>FM9>amp

Not having to troubleshoot a bad cable has been wonderful! Also, my rig takes about 5 minutes to setup/breakdown. In addition, I have the option to run direct and/or into a FRFR speaker if the venues doesn't allow me to turn my amp up or something goes wrong with my amp.

But the OP question is: does that amp that you are using has tubes? And if it has tubes, what model is it?

But the OP question is: does that amp that you are using has tubes? And if it has tubes, what model is it?

Hmmm, it actually says tell me about the rig you are using and I assumed tube amp based on the poll question. You going to call out the people who posted non-tube amps on this thread...oh wait someone already did... ;) The amp varies depending on the situation but here ya go,

Tube amps include but are not limited to:
Komet Vimana 25
JCA Circuits Golden Ratio 1.6
Bruno Cowtipper 22
Black Volt Amplification Crazy Horse

Hmmm, it actually says tell me about the rig you are using and I assumed tube amp based on the poll question. You going to call out the people who posted non-tube amps on this thread...oh wait someone already did... ;) The amp varies depending on the situation but here ya go,

Tube amps include but are not limited to:
Komet Vimana 25
JCA Circuits Golden Ratio 1.6
Bruno Cowtipper 22
Black Volt Amplification Crazy Horse
Actually, no...it says:

Are you using Axe-Fx/FM9/FM3 exclusively with a tube amp? NO direct/FRFR applications?
If so, in addition to answering the poll, please also post in this thread to tell me about your rig.

I can get more dB of bone crushing power for the death metal bands I play for when using FM3 for amp modeling and then go into fx return of a 120-watt tube head (Peavey 5150-II) for the power section. Into a Vader cabinet rated at 480 watts. At home when I play quieter I go into a Carvin FET 1000 power amp. The 500 watts of solid state is a lot easier to manage/control than the 120-watt tube head, haha. I just love the EQ and response of a real guitar cabinet in the room. Although I do play with Headphones + FM3 tons too and it also sounds great. Especially since Dynacabs were added! Easier than ever to jump into the mix of my favorite recordings and play along with perfect tone.

I suppose my answer is yes but also no assuming you meant 'tube amp head'.

Guitar > Korg tuner > Axe-Fx III Mk II > Fryette 2/90/2 > MESA / Boogie 4x12

1000004429.jpg

I use my FM3 into a MOTU Mk5 interface via S/pdif attached to a pair of Yamaha HS7 studio monitors in my home office, FM9 with headphones, or via S/pdif to my AV receiver powering a pair of Tannoy monitors (in my family room), or occasionally via the effects return of an H&K TubeMeister amp into a 1x12 Mesa guitar cab (in the living room). As you can see, I only play at home.

In stereo?
Not right now. I'm waiting on some high quality patch cables to replace all the long ones in my rack right now. I'll set the cab and my main preset up for stereo when I do that. Ideally I need another Boogie 4x12 for it to truly sound giant.

Sometimes I run my FM3 into a Seymour Duncan KTG 2100 KT88 power amp. I generally like this much better than into studio monitors. I just can't jive with the FRFR thing.

I also use my FM3 and Axe FX II through a parallel mixer with my tube gear. I am not a fan of what running the tube gear straight through the ADA converters does to the feel.

Back
Top Bottom